Does this happen to you??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, just wanted to add my experiences to this site, which I have found most interesting. I have suffered for about 3 years with proctal fugax, diagnosed earlier this year. My pain starts with sharp stabbing pains in the lower abdomen. This can last on and off for hours. Then I get the intense pressure in my bottom, making it feel like it's pulling down and about to burst! I am unable to move or walk as the each step is like a knife inserted up though my bottom. I also sweat profusely. The pain seems to go into my pelvic and pubic bones?? I feel so faint and go a deathly shade of white! Unlike most descriptions I have seen, my pain regularly lasts several hours. It can happen day or night, and maybe 3-4 times a week. This is destroying my life. I also get severe back pain but don't know if this is associated or not. Sex or a bowel movement can bring this on, but normally it just happens. I can't believe I'm expected to put up with this pain for the rest of my life, it's unbearable. I also have anismus (the internal and external muscles of the sphincter don't work properly) and slow transit constipation. Does this sound like any of you??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear that you get this level of attack. You must try heat, and a hot drink, and consider the medication suggested by others to reduce the incidence of the attacks. Once a month is bad enough!!!!
  • Posted

Hi there,

Yep, that sounds exactly like what I get. My last attack, I had pain in my abdomen from menstrual cramps, and then I got an attack. You really can't walk, and it does feel like a knife is up there. I don't get the attacks as often as you do, but I definitely feel your pain.

I was diagnosed today, and my doctor has prescribed GTN spray for me to use when I get an attack, to relax the smooth muscle which is contracting. I haven't used it (yet!) but if I do I will post the results. After reading on here, I think it's worth investing in an electric heating pad to sit on, and some gingko balboa supplement.

Good luck, I'll be praying for all my fellow sufferers!

• Posted

Oh, and I also get constipation. However, this has gone completely since I started eating prunes, every day. I have 6-7 seedless prunes with cereal every morning, and I go like clockwork every day. Going to the toilet also seems to help when I get an attack, so it helps if things are working better down there. Also try to drink a sensible amount of water - 1.5 - 2 litres a day.

• Posted

I've been dealing with the same problem since I was 18 yrs old, I am now 50. So I know how horrible this pain is. It is true that heat gives you some relief, but I have found that it has to be wet heat. My husband, God Bless him, puts really hot wash rags between my cheeks and boy does it help, almost immediately. Hopefully this will help some of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.