i'm 21 and have had 3 sebaceous cysts on my scalp for th...

Posted , 15 users are following.

i'm 21 and have had 3 sebaceous cysts on my scalp for the best part of my life now. It's been that long i can't remember when it was i found them!lol!:roll:I am in dilemma as to what to do with them They are getting quite big and i keep catching them when i brush my hair :yikes: and yea it hurts! When i touch them or push them they move under the skin. The doctor told me that they don't need removing only for cosmetic reasons! lol HELLO.......It's not exactly nice pushing your partners hands away from your head everytime he wants to stroke my hair. :shock:I could'nt belive it they hurt and i want rid :headhurts: But i do not fancy having bald patches on my head is there no other way to get rid of them?i didn't know they can suddenly flare up from infection either. Doctors should make you aware of everything to do with sebaceous cysts not look at you like your wasting their time!:yikes:I am also bit scared of it hurting...even though i've had a major operation the day my son arrived into the world! So peeps any suggestions? coz i'm totally lost!:ok:

[i:44f9390112]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:44f9390112]

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am in exact'mly the same position as to not wanting bald patches on my head. As my cycsts have not caused problems yet I'm hanging on and like you hoping for another way of getting rid of them. I feel sorry for you developing them so early, mine did not start til I was in my forties and I'm now 57. Strangely enough they don't seem to grow quickly yet. They are definitely in my family.

[i:184df11537]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:184df11537]

• Posted

Hi there

I had 6 cysts removed of varying sizes from my head about 3 years ago and low and behold, they're back in different places plus 1 more. I know they are in my family but not to the size I am getting them at (up to 3cm for the biggies). I'm 28 btw. As a gal I have also felt really awful about letting a partner touch my head although no one over the years has ever had a problem with them. The first bunch I had off by a brilliant referal to a plastic surgeon who hardly removed any hair at all. The next lot i will also see this plastic surgeon about soon. It's part of life and as far as i know, everyone has something, let's be thankful they aren't cancerous. It will definitely help psychologically to have them removed and it doesnt really hurt at all. I was in and out in a couple of hours. Only when the stiches come out - that's when it hurts because they don't give you anethetic for removing stiches. My advice is to get a referral to an excellent plastic surgeon. Lots of hugs, and don't worry, it helps to know that there is always a simple solution to cosmetic problems as annoying as they are.

[i:f70771a9bb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f70771a9bb]

• Posted

I had two removed when I was in high school (12 yrs ago)... But they left awful bald spots where the hair never grew back??? I did not see a plastic surgeon though. Did any of your removals leave bald spots? I would love to get the rest removed but I'm so scared!!!
    • Posted

Did you have a scar after the surgery? Or has your hair grown back? I didn't see a plastic surgeon the first time and I was left with bald spots (my surgery was 10 yrs ago) sad I am wondering if a plastic surgeon would do it differently...
  • Posted

I'm 24 and had a cyst removed from the back of my head yesterday. I was concerned about my partner touching my hair, and the cyst has been there for as long as I can remember. The procedure was done under a local anaesthetic, and didn't hurt at all, although the scar is sore now. I hate the fact that they had to take some of my hair, but it will grow back, and that's got to be better than having a growing lump on the back of my head. Good luck.

[i:348845c717]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:348845c717]

• Posted

I too have 3 or 4 cysts on my head, one in particlar bothers me, it's about 3cm across and is right at the front, i can only just cver it with my hair now sad

so worriedabout having it removed - the dr warned me they usually shave.

but then again it looks bald NOW, because the skin is so stretched that the hairs lok sparse.

Can anyone reassure me? sad

[i:95135cef35]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:95135cef35]

• Posted

Hello,

I have had 2 removed. My family doctor works with multiple Drs. And so she I went to the same office and had them taken out. No questions asked. But make sure you tell the dr it don't hurt cuz if it does and you tell them that they have to do all this other stuff (ultrasound, sample) etc. Anyways good luck. Let your doc know or maybe find a doc that practices with multiple other doc! Hope that helps! Oh and my hair is very very fine do I was scared for her to cut hair but actually without the bump it looked better anyways!

• Posted

Did you go to a special doctor to get them taken out? I have had two removed and they left a permanent bald spot? I'm wanting to have more removed but can't afford to have more bald spots!
  • Posted

Hi,

I have suffered with acne and sebaceous cysts for years. So I know how you all feel! Now i'm 22 and past puberty they're not developing as often, my advice to anyone with a cyst, no matter how big or small is get it removed. A bald spot on your head for a few weeks is nothing compered to the pain and embarrasment you get if they burst, get bigger or get infected. If your regular doctor won't refer you see another dr and keep pushing. I had a small cyst removed today (it was about half the size of a pea) and my dermatologist didn't even need to make an excision, he just pulled it out with a litte needle with a hook on the end. Seriously the smaller they are the better get them out quick. Allthough they are in no way dangerous they will get bigger, or get infected or it will burst, making you think it's gone and then come back even bigger! I'm talking from experience

PS reducing stress also helps them stop developing, take up yoga or meditation or something

Good Luck

Vicki, Leicester UK

[i:14f261dcbf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:14f261dcbf]

• Posted

I just had two of the six removed from my head. They were severly infected and I can't even explain the pain and pressure they caused. Pain is a sure sign of infection and if they bother you get them taken care of. Your doctor might not see them as a big deal but if you tell him that they are so bothersome to you and you want them removed. Hopefully your doctor will refer you to a surgeon that will remove them

[i:1b73904e81]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1b73904e81]

• Posted

Hi, I can understand your concern but I can assure you it isn't that painful to have the cysts removed. I have had a total of 4 cysts removed and the most painful thing about it is the needle used to deaden the area and other than that you only feel some pushing but no pain at all. I have to have another one out this year so that will be number 5. Good luck if you get it removed.
  • Posted

Hi i am 41 and i had a cyst removed from my scalp about 20 years back.after 2,3 years the scar was gone. And 2 days back i got another five more removed from my scalp and it took not more tgan one and half hour to leave the clinic after all the procedure. It will normally take 5 days to heal the stich and scar wont be a problem by keeping hair to hide it and after few years there wont be any scar at all
  • Posted

If you have cyst on your head is their going to be hair on that place. 
  • Posted

any link with muscle pain ?
  • Posted

Hi Uk -

I had my 3 cm head cyst taken out by an outpaient surgeon in their office (sterile surgery room) 2 days ago.   I should have gotten it taken off years ago.   Six hairs were shaved off my head and they use gel to move the rest of the hair away.  I had two shots...they hurt but didn't last long.  Very little pain with recovery- you can take aspirin, tylenol or motrin the first or second day..   Stitches that come out in a week.  Could wash my hair within 24 hours.  The cyst kept growing and it did hurt because it pulled on my scalp.  I didn' t know that sometimes cysts on the head can burst under the skin and cause an infection. The cyst I had was not infected.  I am glad I went to a surgeon because she was able to take the whole cyst out preventing it from growing back.   Years ago I burnt my head with a steam curling iron accidentally.   My Mom had 3 cysts and had them all removed in her early 50's like I am now.   I should have taken them off 10 years ago.  It bothered me at the hair stylist's because it showed not only to her but other customers.  I also hit it with the brush and I didn't like my husband or kids to touch my head because of the bump.  When the cyst was removed I felt a relieve of pressure off my scalp.   

From PJ across The Pond in the USA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.