Tranexamic Acid. Prescribed after having Depo Provera Shot

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed these tablets 4 weeks after receiving the injection as i had been bleeding for 18 days non stop. Not too sure whether these will help to stop it. Has anyone else been prescribed them for this reason :?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had an implant for over 2 years now, and my periods seemed to get heavier since.

My GP prescribed this and mefenamic acid, and they definetely work great, but I had to stop taking the mefenamic acid as it was giving me terribly aggonising abdominal pains.

• Posted

[quote:35e85a09f6=\"tracey\"]I was prescribed these tablets 4 weeks after receiving the injection as i had been bleeding for 18 days non stop. Not too sure whether these will help to stop it. Has anyone else been prescribed them for this reason :?[/quote:35e85a09f6]

Yes, I too had the depo provera injection and bled for 3 weeks non-stop, then went on to the tranexamic acid tablets and my periods have stopped altogether with no side effects!!

• Posted

I had the depo shot about 3/4 weeks ago now. Never had a contraceptive injection before, I tried going on the pill once but on the weekly break I came off the pain was so agonizing I couldn't move.

I have trouble with heavy periods and anemia, and so went to the doctors to get the shot. NEVER AGAIN! Afterwards, I'd been bleeding lightly, sometimes a little heavier for 3 weeks straight, and it ruined my sex life. The boyfriend says he didn't mind but hey, you know what guys are like. Anyway the doc prescribed me some tranexamic acid, 2 - 3 times a day, and at first they didn't seem to be working. Well today's the 4th day, the tablets have run out, and I've stopped bleeding. *Yay!*

Although I do have some pelvic pain which I'm concerned about. It feels like if I have sex, I might come on my period, or start bleeding again.

Anyone have any advice or had a similar experience?

• Posted

I know I'm about 7 years late but this is my same exact situation! Long periods, depo shot due to 2 months of bleeding then 3 weeks of heavy bleeding which all ruined my sex life as well. This was followed by starting the lysteda pills 1 day ago. I'm probably jumping the gun but it doesn't seem to be working sonyour post gave me hope.

• Posted

Hi Girls

Wow I dont feel so isolated reading your stories.

My experience was similar, although I was prescribed Provera Tablets, the bleeding lasted 43 days, and I ended up having 2 blood transfusions and in hospital for 4 days.

My periods are awful. I pass clots the size of grapefruits and I am literally housebound for 3-4 days. I must wear 2 pads and a tampon which I change every 30 mins if I am to leave the house so I dont bleed through.

I have always had bad periods lasting 7-8 days however the last 2 years its been worse. The blood is also bright red.

I have had NOTHING work, and I am not old enough to be considered for a hysterectomy. I have yet to have children and honestly will give that choice up for a peaceful, healthy existence, but the Doctors dont want to do that - perhaps they are scared I will sue them.

Anyway Tran Acid Tabs work after 3-4 days for me, however I feel like CRAP on them!

I am not keen on the Mirena Coil after my Doctors horror stories with her own patients. And my experience with synthetic hormones, my body just does not take well to them.

I have adenomyosis which is a form of endometriosis, so that is the only explination I get in regards to why my periods are like this.

However tests show I have no progesterone. I have yet to have a Dr or Gyno explain to me WHY that is.

I am so frustrated with this part of my life. It is so deblilitating! And I find it hard for Doctors (even after my bleed out experience) to actually take it seriously - I feel that they feel I am melodramatic over a \"period\".

:?

• Posted

Hey! I hope all is well, I was just wondering if you would be able to help. I am in a similar situation that you were currently and I was just wondering if you knew if tranexamic acid has the ability to reduce the effectiveness of the the depo shot? I know this discussion was from a while ago so I'm not sure if you will see it - but any advice would be helpful if you do 
  • Posted

Doesnt affect my periods at all....still heavy....def feel ill on them too. Diagnosed with adenomyosis.. Think you might find the following website helpful http://www.adenomyosisadviceassociation.org/. They sre trying to raise awareness of the condition and how truly debilitating it is. Lots of info, stories and support on there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.