sodium valproate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have had constant daily headaches for 12 weeks and 2-3 migraines every 2 weeks.Ive come off pitzofen as they had no effect and have been given sodium valproate by a neurologist today

Has anyone any experience of this drug?

thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I thought Sodium Valporate (also known as 'eplilim')was a drug for epilepsy?! I was on in this when I was a kid, and my Mum has also been on this for epilepsy. our experiences of this drug were bad. I put on weight and it dulled my brain enormously. My school work and even piano playing went downhill dramatically. i look back on that time as being fat and stupid. It was also bad for my Mum - she had the shakes big time, and it also dulled her brain. In my opinion it's not a good drug for epilepsy, let alone anything else!!

look - I'm sorry to be negative, but that's my experience. it is pretty famous for it's side affects. However - if you're on a low dose you may find it's fine for you. if you do have side affects, I think they'll appear pretty quickly, and then I'd recommend stopping them straight away. It too me a while to recover from being on them.

Good luck - I'd be interested to know what happens!

Amy.

• Posted

I was on this drug when I was 16 for epilepsy. Was then diagnosed bipolar aged 49 and now back on a large dosage. Definitely putting on weight. But it also is making me feel supprssed, like it is taking away my spark. I spent much of my years 16-34 on this drug feeling a little sad with life. Now I'm back on it, I feel similar. Bipolar feels delicate and complex, so feeling my way. But early signs of this drug are not good. 
  • Posted

my partner is on sodium valporate for his bipolar and yes its also a drug for epilepsy .its a life saver for him  to be honest ,he has been on lots of meds over the years and for him its the only one that works and he doesnt have any side effects what so ever, and he is on a huge dose per day .everyone is differant so try if its not for you go back and try something else ,good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.