Carpal Tunnel surgery....I have to make a decision??

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have had a nerve conduction test about 4weeks ago and have been told today that i have Carpal Tunnel. My doctor is going to refer me to the hospital for surgery, is there any questions i should ask when i get to see the consultant? I do not know much about it, ihave it in my right hand, i am abit worried after reading some of these stories on this forum. Is there anyone who surgery has worked for?

3 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in a similar position. I have private health so was referred straight to a surgeon who wanted to operate quickly. I was really unsure after reading some of these stories. I am a carer for my husband who has a Brain Tumour so am the only driver and have to do everything around the house. I went back to my GP asking for a Nerve Conduction Study and am having it done next week. The only thing I can think of that you could ask is if it can be done with Keyhole surgery as the recovery time is meant to be quicker. Although my GP said it is not often performed like this as it is such a small incision anyway. My GP said I might not be able to drive for 4 weeks, but the surgeon said I should be ok after a couple of days (right hand). It will be interesting to hear what you are told about recovery. I have asked around my friends and family and some know people who have had it done and been ok.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I dont know anyone personaly yet, who has had it done. I have a friend whose elderly mother is having it done today so i will watch how she gets on and let you know. I am being refered on the NHS so it will take a while before im seen, but you have to make a decisionn earlier. I really dont know what to sugest, i like to put my faith in the doctors but its abit confusing. Thanks for letting me know that your friends were ok, you are really brave looking after your husband and the house, then having this done as well. Please keep me posted how you get on. Louise.
  • Posted

I had this operation done 3 years ago on my left hand wished I'd not left it so long to getting it done,no more pain, I spent years putting up with being woken up early hours with such hand pain dangling hand out of bed.night after night squeezing it into a fist to get pain relief.,after I had it done my the pure relief.What it left me with is the palm is.fatter compared to the right hand maybe a compression bandage would have sorted that tiny hiccup Do have it done ,Mine was due to knitting a lot since the 70s good luck
    • Posted

Hi Carol ,yes no problem knitting wise ,Id give it few months let the carpal join up ,heal thoroughly first inside ,without putting to much tension on wrist . 

To this day yrs on ,glad I had it done . Lot of typist ,road workers ,bricklayers etc get carpal . Your told not to use it for 6 weeks. 😊

• Posted

Thankyou very much Marlene its good to hear a sucess story, is the swelling scar tissue? how long was your recovery time?

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise the op was really good, I was awake,hand completely numb, 2 surgeons took maybe one to one

half hours. A theatre sister there by my side all the time ,and before the op another sister came and showed me her hand as she had same op just 6 weeks prior . I think my puffy palm only is due to the op itself no other,it's not noticeable on back of the hand at all. Ask about a compression bandage on what I've said.Recovery was about 6 weeks the scar tissue only you will know it's there. The hospitals in my area are brilliant only last March I had a neck tumour removed at another local hospital. Another good hospital experience I might add

both hospitals took great care of me from the time I went in until I left and the follow up appointments. You will be so glad that awful pain is gone do let me know how it goes...you'll be fine. Marlene x

• Posted

Hi Marlene

can you remember how long it took before you could use your hand properly again? I am on day 4 and my Hand is quite weak and painful.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I've just received a cancellation appt so getting Carpal op next Wednesday, 14 May. It's in both hands but getting right hand done first as this one is worst one. How long before you could drive please? I've got a 40mile round trip to work 5 days a week. I work as a part time teaching assistant in a primary school. I haven't had any info on op as I've literally just been told the date this morning via telephone.

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine

My GP said to leave it for 2 weeks before driving.  I have driven twice but only about 8 miles  each way.  It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I had my surgery. I am taking one more week sick leave because my job is desk based using a computer mouse all day (that has probably been the cause of the carpel problem).

Are you having a local? I did and it was amazing, My surgeon showed me my hand before he stitched it and it was quite strange to see the workings inside.

I am really glad I have had it done, no more sleepless nights.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I was hoping to have a local. The consultant I saw two weeks ago said it was a quick op and he'd recommend a local, however, because I've got a cancellation appt for the op next week I'm not sure if the new surgeon will do local. I hope so though. I've had a horrid two years with health problems. I had my 'particularly nasty' gall bladder removed in Apr 12 then a full hysterectomy in Dec 12 and I've had carpal and dry eyes n mouth ever since then! I'm sure this is a result of my two big ops within 6months of each other!

i hope I can finally get a complete nights sleep after this......no more tingling and pains in hands. 

I'm glad you are on the road to a good recovery. 

The time off work is worrying me....I know my health comes first but I've had time off with my other two ops rolleyes     Sounds as if your employer is okay.

thanks for your quick reply,

Elaine

• Posted

Elaine

I've had a rotten couple of years too. 2 Years ago I had Bells Palsy then was diagnosed with Artheritis in my hands and wrists and then the carpel tunnel problem started.  I can't wear my wedding and engagement rings because of extra bone growth on the joint. My fingers are looking pretty twisted.

I arrived at the hospital at 7.00 am and was home by approx 10.15 am. I had the procedure done privately and was given the choice of general or local. The actual procedure was really quick, most of the time was taken up in preparation.

please let me know how you get on.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan,

oh dear, it sounds like you have had a tough time. I hope that the carpal is the last of your health worries and your health improves now you've had the op. 

That sounds a quick procedure time! I hope the recovery continues quickly for you and yes....I'll let you know how next Wednesday goes.

many thanks,

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Jan,

i had the op this morning. The paper work took longer than the op! I watched the whole procedure too! Very nice consultant explained it all the way through.

9 hours later my very swollen and all fingers throbbing like crazy. My palm looks very swollen under the bandages too. I'm keeping it elevated and I'm hoping there will be some improvement by tomorrow.

Elaine

• Posted

Hi there, I hope you don't mind me messaging you, I have found this forum via Google and am looking for advice - answers ! I note u had your carpal tunnel op at Spire Stretton and think with all likleyhood that this is going to be the route for me, I first got carpal tunnel during pregnancy, it vanished after I had my gorgeous boy and came back about 5 weeks ago, I have been to see Mr Casserley at Spire Stretton and been referred 4 further tests on Thursday - eeeeek! 😑 my main issue is my right hand but I do also have symptoms in my left - my right strong hand being the problem at the moment. Day to day I can cope - night time is the worst for me but right now you wouldn't know there was an issue. I just wondered who did your op, did u have open or endoscopic surgery and realistically when could you function? I have an 18 month old baby who still needs lifting - bum changing and cuddling and am really struggling with the concept of not being able to do that, we also have no help - I'm a very full on mummy ! Panicking ! I appreciate any advice or response ! Thank's a million. K. XXX

• Posted

Hi

I'm due to have this very soon but am bricking it about the injection to numb it 😬. Does it hurt?! I do wish I was being knocked out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.