Ramipril cough

Posted , 47 users are following.

Have been on Ramipril now for about 5 months and the only side effects I have noticed is that damed cough and a very dry mouth especially overnight.

The cough isn't all the time but once it starts with a dry tickle at the back of your throat it can be quite a vigorous bout of coughing. This sometimes makes your chest ache and the immediate thought is here we go again.

The dry mouth is a real pain and any amount of drinks or boiled sweets dont make much difference.

1 like, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have same problem of coughing gives me uncomfort. Dry damed cough does not stop once it started. I noticed after taking ramipril drug. plus i found dry mouth too. I noticed interference with my vision too.
  • Posted

I have experienced frequent bouts of vigorous dry coughing - lasting up to one or two minutes. Will now consider another drug
  • Posted

I have been taking ramipril for about a year, I have constant dry cough which is driviing me and everyone else nuts, tickly throat feels like liquid running down it all the time, rumbling in the ears like a car ticking over in the bedroom, constantly out of breath and regular cramp. Had a severe muscle spasm 6 months ago and was in hospital. Im almost an insomniac with it. Sleepless nights and aggitated. Then a friend of my Fathers said she was like that until she stopped taking it. I never realised it could be the ramipril.
    • Posted

Get your doctor to put you on Candesartan instead of Ramipril. I had the Ramipril cough and after changing to Candesartan, have not had a cough at all since. 
  • Posted

that cough description is exactly what I had within days of starting this. I stopped 4 days ago but am still suffering the cough....not sure how long that might take to go !

May have to try an ARB....

*sigh*

• Posted

Hi, would be interested which ARB you are/werre on and how it behaved regarding readings &/or side effects. Ho/pe you are feeling better now.
  • Posted

I too am being driven mad by the dry tickly cough, especially at night. I think I have eliminated all other possible causes - so that just leaves Ramipril.

I have found that chewing a piece of sugar free gum as soon as the cough starts, seems to help. (don't fall asleep with it though).

I am waiting for a call back from my GP to discuss changing medication.9bzx8k

• Posted

I just started to look on line to see if anyone else was having this problem with Taking Ramipril and dry mouth. I too am having a problem with dry mouth very bad at night, but some time during the day as well. I purchased a humidifer and have it set up in my bed room a get my room up to about 90% humidity before going to bed and it helps but everything is wet in the room in the morning and I still only sleep for about 3 or 4 hours. I had a appointment with my GP doctor a few days ago and she wants me to see a ENT doctor and a pulmenary doctor. I have set appointments. Funny thing is a was on Ramipril for quite some tine, originally I was on Altace. I als take Nexium and Crestor. I think that there may be a connection with my GERD condition and the Dry mouth also. Anyone else with GERD taking Ramipril? Feed back welcome.
  • Posted

2 months now, 5 mg daily and occassionally a tickly cough starts day or night from nowhere. The deep back of the throat seems more sensitive, as if after a bad cold. I find blowing my nose well to clear any mucus will relieve the irritation. Mucus tends to creep down onto the back of the throat via the nose/throat passages and causes the irritation. A sip of water also then helps.

The above is now part of my preparation for meetings and it works well. Blow your nose and keep some water at hand. Just in case.

• Posted

Hi I have this cough also and agree its the mucas production which runs down the back of your throat especially at night. I use Nasonex spray which helps quite a bit.

I also find that if I can take a really deep breath instead of coughing (before you start - you know is coming) you can sometimes subside the symptom and avoid the coughing fit.

I have other random stuff all the time like a bit panicky now and again but I can never be sure if its the drug or not. Alcahol the day before often means panicky morning after.

• Posted

I too have the horrible dry cough, I spoke to my Gp yesterday and he has taken me off Ramipril . Does anyone know how long it takes for the cough to go away ..please ?
  • Posted

Like the previous person I talked to my GP yesterday following a medication review with the pharmacist, who suggested that the Ramipril could be causing the cough that I had for 4 months(was prescribed Ramipril 6 months ago). Have had all the various tests, xrays etc., it was even suggested I had whooping cough, I was so low through lack of sleep, thought I had cancer, felt panicky thought I would choke when having a coughing session. Am now back on candesartan. Lets hope my life will return to normal.

RAMILPRIL SHOULD BE BANNED its a POISON !!

• Posted

My doctor has taken me off Ramipril because of the cough and I too am on Canderstartan now and have been on it for just over a week and up to now I have been fine,my cough from the ramipril has gone and I feel a lot better.
  • Posted

Yes I agree Ramipril is not good at all for some people ,it wasn't good for me but I do know people who are on it with no problems at all. !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.