alopecia areata

Posted , 9 users are following.

iv had alopecia areata for about a year now, im finding it very difficult to cope with. im a 31 year old man with two young babies, my girlfriend always gives me support but its hard, i cant go out of the house without a hat on, just feel really embarressed all the time and that every one is looking at me. my confidence is so low.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi mate, any updates on your progress?
  • Posted

Ive had alopecia areata for 2 years.It is upsetting but I hope it will grow back or a cure will be found.You have two young children and a girlfriend so I would focus on them.

A hat is a good solution if it suits you and especially now winter is coming.My husband bought me a wig but it's hot and itchy and looks wrong on me !I wonder why I bought it!A waste of £200 !I bought it thinking atleast I could go out if all my hair falls out!Could you make it less noticeable by cutting your hair short or growing it longer ?Ive grown my hair longer so the top layer covers my two large patches.

I think it should be easier for a man as bald men are accepted and can look very attractive .

Small children are so rewarding just enjoy them and forget about your hair loss?When my grandchildren are with me I totally forget all my problems!

i doubt people in the street are looking at you or if they are tell yourself a positive reason!

• Posted

my 41/2 year old daughter recently got diagnosed with this.

at first the doctor said it normally happens in teenagers but somehow it happened to her.i wondered at first if it was a fungus or something in her hair, but it didnt look like that just a smooth patch, now the patch has kinda morfed into two others but smaller. it depresses me to an extent, cuz i worry and wonder how this happened and how it will affect her when her new school term starts. 

Most i do right now is pray for a miracle that it grows back, the topical cream they gave has not really done any difference...am trying to hang in there...she's just so young

• Posted

Hi. I'm am a 36 year old man and I have recently developed two bald patches on the back of my head. I am in the Army and currently overseas. It is an embarrassing condition but you just need to get on with it. I also have two very young children and I can't wait to get home to see them. Don't worry about what others say/think. Enjoy your life and enjoy your family.
  • Posted

Hello all

I've been a member and volunteer for a charity Alopecia UK for 2 years. Not sure if any of you are members. Its brilliant. They don't try to sell cures only offer advice and commuity support. Check out the site.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as there is a link to our support directory entry for Alopecia UK in the right sidebar on every discussion in this group.

• Posted

ust signed up to this never been a forum type of person but i must insist onsaying something, as an ex derm nurse, and the husband of a wife who had this problem,for 20 years  we think we have cracked it,we have been to derm doc, who as usual will give steroid, oh and would you like a wig, she has tried meat free, non alcohol, and all sort of homeopathic nonsence

but i can tell what has worked , keep off bread, pizza , pasta , its gluten she also gets very bad stomach ache from leading up to the patches appearing

the problem only comes back if she goes particularly back on pasta,

3 years on her hair has maintained and all areata has gone, all grown back, but as soon as she tries pasta a small hairless formation starts about 8  days later, along with stomach problems.

i have advised a patient in hospital 18 months agowho was only 20, she also had the samesymtoms andnow she has followed the same as my wife, guess what, yep all hari back no stomach problems0 Report this Reply[darren62159] ★1

darren62159 peter49784 • 25 minutes agoo and by the way she doesnt have coeliac disease, she has been tested but it is a very sensative test so my advice would be to ignore it and have a strict gluten ffree diet for at least 3 months,

also look at the evidence of the link between glten free and hair loss, many times it mentions the stomach flora being unbalanced due to gluten

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.