Ramipril side effects that dreadful cough

Posted , 26 users are following.

have been taking Ramipril for 3 months now and at first didnt link the dreadful cough with this drug until I researched it on the web.

I have developed a dreadful dry tickly cough which starts at the back of the throat and immediately starts to make my eyes water.

The coughing then starts to go into a spasm and its worse at night - I havent had a full nights sleep for weeks.

Also my chest is beginning to be sore due to all the coughing, its very distressing and I am going to be back at my gp.

Have any more readers had the same ?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YES!!!! I've been on Ramipril about 5 weeks and over the last three weeks I've developed the most terrible, hacking cough which comes in uncontrollable spasms.

Retching, unable to breathe, wheezing, bringing up white froth ~ and it didn't bring my blood pressure down (not surprising with all the coughing). I saw my GP yesterday and was told that the cough ~ which I'd thought was bronchitis at least ~ was a side-effect of Ramipril.

The patient info leaflet describes the possibility of a \"dry, tickly cough\" ~ if I'd known that this was a 10% chance of developing this completely disabling cough, I'd have paid more attention ~ I don't need another heart attack because I'm \"coughing my head off\".

• Posted

I wish that I looked at this site last year. I have been on Ramipril for about a year & the hacking cough has got worse every month with the watering eyes etc. My wife sent me back to the doctors to get this sorted & he changed the tablets, I am hoping the cough will disappear, but it did reduce my BP nicely.
  • Posted

Well its been 5 weeks since my doctor swapped my tablets to another make & I can not remember the last time I had a cough.

The terrible cough reduced by 80% in the first week & then disappeared within 2 weeks.

Good job for this website, or I would still be coughing away every day

Tony in Clacton on sea, Essex UK

• Posted

please tell m what he switched you to?  Had same problem with the cough and he switched to this one. NOW that makes no sense.
  • Posted

Dear Tony in Clacton, could you tell me what your replacement medicine is, please?

I have had a mild but persistent cough for some months since taking Ramipril. It has not been overly distressing, fortunately, but I was a little worried whether or not it indicated something which could become a problem. I do not want to stop taking ACE inhibitors because they work well.

Regards,

Peter.

• Posted

Just coughed my way to the end of the tetrapack n couldn't take any more sad Told the Doc, actually she told me - I said it was a side effect n she said it was the cough. Said you get Ramipril first because of cost. No hassle I was transfered to Irbesartin - early signs are better results on the BP and the cough has almost gone :D - takes a while to work its way out of the system. If your having probs ask to change don't suffer in silence!
  • Posted

I have been on Ramipril since Dec 2007 (5mg before bed). In May this year I was changed to Ramipril 2.5mg twice a day. After about a week I started suffering with a REALLY annoying dry, tickly cough. This is worse as the day progresses and often gives me trouble at night. I have been back to the GP, but he just told me I had a virus. I have noticed that the new strength tablets are a different brand make?? maybe this is the reason??
  • Posted

Maybe you could post what make of ramipril you are now on (and the one before if possible) and if other people suffering the cough are indeed on the same brand it would be worth passing the information to the MRHA.

Patient Admin Team

• Posted

I'm in my 50's and I've been taking Ramipril for 7 mths now. I started off on a low dose and had it increased to 10mg over a few weeks as my bp was 200/120. I also need to take Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg and Zanidip 20mg to control my bp which I'm pleased to say is now around 150/ 75 on average. I had a slight cough at first with the Ramipril which did settle down fairly quickly. I'm also asthmatic but on the whole I don't feel that the medications that I take for hbp are having any noticeable adverse side effects on my general health. I was worried at first at the unexpected severity of my bp problem and all the meds that I have to take to control it. My GP did try several different ones till we were both happy that the treatment was working adequately and I would say to anyone, give Ramipril a try and a chance if it's offered. There is everything to gain if it works and other options if it doesn't.
  • Posted

Very glad I found everyone's comments.  I've been taken ramipril for over one year. Suddenly out of the blue, one month ago I start coughing.  It's crazy. One minute I'm fine then I'm out of control watery eyes, gagging, can breathe, can't stopping choking and of course if any air hits my throat I'm done. Nights have been terrible. My throat fills with frothy thick substance and I begin coughing more. I finally went to see doctor, they are taking me off the med for two weeks to see if this is the problem. It's been one day with no ramipril. I sure hope it doesn't take too many days for med to exit the body.  
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on Ramipril 10MG since April 2013 and suffer from the dry cough too. I was so used to it that I only ever thought about it when other people mentioned it. Judging from some of the replies I have seen, it may not have affected me so badly, but one piece of information I recieved by accident was that someone else that was taking it that I knew, didn't associate it with her medication and was advised to take lemon, honey and glycerin from her local pharmacy. She found this worked, but when she found out the connection, she stopped taking the lemon, honey and glycerin and instead used honey in her tea. This was effective for her, as it is for me. I find now that the only time I get thecough again, is when I have to put the central heating up in cold weather. When this happens, I just drink more honeyed tea. One spoonful per cup works for me and is sweet enough to replace my normal sugar. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I was on Ramipril 5mg daily for nearly two years without problem when I developed the cough last December. My GP thought I had a virus but when it had not improved after a couple of months and a course of antibiotics I was sent for a chest x-Ray (am not a smoker). 

Fortunately this was clear. But the cough dragged on - worse in the mornings with coughing until retching up phlegm and eyes streaming. Then it calms down for the rest of the day, sometimes, but not always, returning at night. Weird! Now, after eight months of this, various cough medicines and even allergy tablets, I have been swapped to Candesarten.

I am in my second week and on a dose of four mg daily. But I still have the awful sounds like a 60 a day smokers cough every morning. Perhaps it's early days with the Candesarten but I had hoped the cough would have eased up by now. If anyone has any info/ideas I would be grateful.

• Posted

This is exactlly what my mum has been through, she was on ramipril for about two years and then developed this awful chesty cough she went through the same chest xray routine (which came back clear) for about 6 months she's coughed and coughed not sleeping because of it and is now wheezing. I was talking to a friend who happened to know someone who was on ramipril with the same symptoms, so i went on line and was shocked at the amount of people who kept saying the same thing. Last week i told my mum to see her GP and get off the ramipril, she has now on candesartan and has been for 4 days but is still coughing away. I too would be interested if anyone can tell me how long roughly it takes for the cough to go once you stop taking ramipril.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi

I've been off ramipril for 6 weeks. It took me about three weeks before the cough was okay and manageable. I'm at 6wks now, still have the cough but it's back to a very little tickle. I'll cough once in awhile. It's  the way it use to be when I first started the meds. 

• Posted

Thank you, my mum still not seen any improvement yet but it's only been 5 days, Thank you again for your reply.
    • Posted

Hi Loubie,

i did not reply until I had given Candesartan a fair try.

I have been on it a few months now and feel so much better. Still have a wee phlemy cough first thing, but nothing like as bad as before. 

I do hope your Mum is feeling better too. 

Very best wishes to you both. Anita x

• Posted

Hi Anita, so glad the candersartan working for you, unfortunatly my mum is still no better her cough is worse than ever, she's been off the ramipril for 2 months now. still on candersartan but also on  Doxazosin which is also meant to cause breathlessness and cough! her GP thinks she now has asthma, so we are waiting for results on lung function test. chest xray was clear again.  It could still be other medication she's taking or asthma, she's a none smoker so its a bit of a mystery. Thank you again for the update and best wishes to you too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.