for charlies girl

Posted , 5 users are following.

Charlies girl

sorry you feel so bad,I dont mean to be ignorant but whats akathisia?

I am going rapidly fro anxious to ok throughout the day,have massive problems with my daughter so Im not sure if its a normal reaction to a diifcult situation or my illness.My tremor seems worse today,I wish I hadnt had to come off venlafaxine Im sure it was helping.I can see that there are improvements but I cant see myself back at work in 2 months like this.Im thinking of you

Jox

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi jo,

Akathisia is a intense inner feeling of restlessness or anxiety. Inability to keep still, motor restlessness, tempting suicidal thoughts.

You can get a good description if you put akathisia symptoms in Google.

It can be drug induced as in my case and is caused by neuroleptic drugs, anti depressants etc, it is the worst feeling i have ever had. xx

• Posted

Charlie Girl, My symptoms of what i think might be akathisia, very anxious when i wake up, and these feelings in my legs of like aggitation inside, it never stops, sometimes i shout and even standing to cook a meal makes me want to throw the lot in the air, how long after you stopped the med that caused it did it go away, or is the sertraline to take it away. Its the worst feeling i have ever had, and would give anything to get some relief from it. I like the mirtazapine because at least it makes me sleep and can look forward to some relief that way, unfortunatly morning comes around to quick, and its back as soon as i open my eyes, maybe its the mirt thats causing it, never thought about that.

psych appointment will let you know how i get on

Danielle.

• Posted

Danielle, it does sound to me like akathisia, the leg thing is part of it, restless leg syndrome. I had akathisia for weeks and then was forced to take sertraline, this seemed to stop it after a couple of weeks. I also was on diazepam to calm me down and let me sleep. Anti- dep can cause akathisia, but they can also help it, sounds confusing i know.

Doctors just put it down to ANXIETY but it was not just ANXIETY, it was constant, every day no give in it. I would wake up and it would start all over again, i got to the point that it drove me to suicidal thoughts..it's hard to describe the torment i felt, and it showed on my face.

I was pacing constantly, didn't know what to do with myself, and was very on edge. I hope that you can get some sense today when you see your psych. I found it very hard to get any one to believe that i had AKATHESIA ! i know it was that and it scares me to think that it may come back. Let us know how you get on today... lots of love xx :wink:

• Posted

How long did it take for your akathisia to go away after you stopped med?I got it from 3 weeks of latuda.I have it 24/7 for almost 8 weeks now.Idk what to do?im loosing my mind and having suicidal ideation but don't want to tell the hospital or doctor because they will prescribe neurological meds which will only aggravate this more...

• Posted

\"Akathisia - which is like a restlessness of the legs\" can be a side-effect of anti-psychotic drugs.

(Taken from our Schizophrenia leaflet)

There is also a separate condition called Ekbom's Syndrome, ie Restless Legs Syndrome.

Patient Admin Team

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.