Negative Urine Tests with Kidney Infection?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm a 61 year old woman, generally healthy but have just recently had a kidney infection. This was my second, previous one 2 years ago. First infection came on totally out of the blue with no preceding UTI. This time did have a UTI and stupidly accepted 3 days of Trimethoprim! 3 weeks later after feeling nauseous and exhausted for days, started back pain but it was Friday night! Had to go to emergency doctor who refused to believe it was a kidney infection due to negative urine test sadLong story short, eventually after 2 days got Cefalexin and have very slowly recovered. Have seen urologist who is concerned by the fact that my urine tests show no infection although he says that from my symptoms I have progressed to septicaemia on both occasion. This has frightened me a lot! Anyone got any advice for me? Please.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i have suffered from kidney infections since i was 2yrs old now 42, 18 months ago after a scan they found the tube to my left kidney from my bladder was not connected and the kidney was full of puss and stones.

i now have scarring and a cyst on my kidney and suffer from recurring kidney infections they never show up in urine samples, a kidney infection and a bladder infection are not the same.

I always have blood and puss in my urine but no bacteria, i have also been fobbed off a couple of times with a low dose of antibiotic the last time i ended up in hospital, its so hard to get some gps to take you seriously, dont give up there is a reason for recurring kidney infections ask you doctor to send you for a scan and you should have blood test to make sure your kidneys are fuctioning properly.

I am currently on cefolecxin 1500mg a day as the last infection has lasted 2 weeks luckily i caught it early as i know the symptoms now and insist on a high dose.

good luck

• Posted

I don't understand this either. I was similar to you in that last time I had a kidney infection the Doctor (whose intelligence and credentials I have since come to seriously question) attempted to imply I had "muscle" pain. Prior to that, I had physically thrown up, suffered from fever etc as well as the regular urinary symptoms for a full week but he was unconvinced because the urine test showed minimal infection. This time around I went to a Doctor who very kindly told me he'd be sending me away with an antibiotic regardless of the urine test results because of the symptoms I complained of but even when he tested my urine I got the lowest reading of 1+ or something...
  • Posted

Hi I really understand what your are going through. I have been ill on and off for nearly 2 years and live on antibiotics. I have a duplex collecting system on my left kidney and also 3 cysts. I strongly believe that one of those cysts has infection in it. However no one believes me. If you drink alot and have dilute urine it dosent always show as clearly it is infected. I presently am suffering and have puss and protien in my urine.
    • Posted

hi donna i feel the same just now i have sent off a urine sample , have you ever been checked for high cortisol , as sometimes if its high it means there is something growin on the ardenal glands which sit beside the kidneys i beliveve x
    • Posted

How are you now?

I too have a duplex collecting system. In late 2016 I had blood poisoning from a stone blockage in one of my extra uterers. My urine kept coming back negative but I had a Kidney Infection and bactrecimia. Sadly, I'm unable to receive Cipro due to joint pain. I was on a hardcore IV Antibiotic for two weeks. Zosyn. This was the WORST thing which has ever happened to me. Have u had or will get corrective surgery?

• Posted

hello i am a 19 year old girl and from what i believe i have either a kidney infection of pid i have mostly all the symptoms but my urine comes back negative everytime. the doctors are not helping me and i've been sick and suffering for 6 months! 

• Posted

hi i know this is a old post, how are you now , have you had kidney tests, can i ask how did they find out you had septicaemia ?
  • Posted

Hi,

I've recently gone through something similar. It was either a bladder infection or kidney infection , ALL tests come back negative and guess what happened next...an ultrasound months later due to stabbing pain showed my kidney had shrunk significantly in size! I'm really mad about this. I was going to donate a kidney to my mom, as she is likely gonna need one. It's very unfair. I tried hard to get help for the symptoms, and was diagnosed with IC. Which the bladder does show I have. But still...😔They said it was likely due to infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.