Bad dreams while using mirtazapine

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking mirtazapine for a little over a week now and I am sleeping much better except that I have awful dreams. I used to take citalopram and had some weird dreams when I was taking them but it seems to be much worse since I changed to mirtazapine.

I wake up feeling terrible because the dreams have been so weird or frightening and it takes me a while to settle down again.

It's such a shame because before I started taking them I had difficulty sleeping, now that has improved but I'm nervous about falling asleep incase I have another horrible dream.

Does anyone else get horrible dreams while taking mirtazapine?

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Noddy

You are not alone, I have had exactly the same experience with bad dreams.

I have been on Mirtazapine for a few weeks now and at first I had some horrible dreams that would wake my partner because I was in tears but I am happy to say that the effect does wear off although it did take a couple of weeks so if you can bear to put up with them for a little while you will probably find that they do ease off.

Good luck

Kristal

:dog:

• Posted

HI I had bad dreams on 27mg only just coping on 15mg and doctor also put me on 10mg of Citalopram, been on mitazapine for this will be week 5 also loss of appertight till about 6pm anxiety still there underneath
  • Edited

Thanks Kristal

It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. Did you also find that mirtazapine made you irritable? Some days I'm in a really bad mood and feel angry for no apparent reason and I hate feeling like that. I'm usually quite a placid person. I hope it's just another side effect that will wear off smile

• Posted

:roll:

Hi Noddy,

Don't worry too much, the intensity of the dreams does wear off. Just give a few weeks to subside. Irritability? Not half, I wonder I kept my marriage intact for those weeks.

The many benefits of Mirtazapine are worth staying with this medication. A good nights sleep is ideal and Mirtazapine gives us that.

I hope all continues well with you.

Best wishes ,

Stephen

• Posted

Thanks Stephen

I've definately been sleeping better since I've been on them and I think it has helped reduce my general anxiety a little bit but on the other hand the bad dreams and bad moods have made me feel on edge and a bit panicky.

I thought I was going crazy and it terrifies me.

I guess I just need to give them more time to work, I know other anti-depressants can take a month or more to have a positive effect so I just need to persevere and hope that it gets better soon.

I hope you are doing ok. smile

• Posted

I have recently gone back on mirtazapine, after being off it for just over 2 months. I have also had terrible dreams which feel so real, they seam to go on forever. They can be quite frightening. I don't fear falling asleep, it's just nice to be able to get some sleep to be honest.

I don't think I can get used to the nightmares that I have but should be able to deal with them in the morning by the knowledge that it really is just a dream

• Posted

I have been on mirtazapine for nearly a year now. It has helped me out dramatically. The bad dreams do pass but you will more then likely continue to have the odd one. I never had them that bad but I do still get one every few weeks. The mood swing part i still get.. at the start it was more violent (not me being violent but more extreme mood swings with no real cause or timing to them) now i still get it.. but there is normally a cause.. it is more like severe overeaction. My parner is very tolerant of it all which is lucky and has provided major support and resilience to it all. A person like that is great to have around and help you through the bad bits of it all.
  • Posted

Hi Noddy,

I've been on Mirtazapine for nearly 6 months now, & for the first few weeks while my dose was increased from 15 to 45 I had horribly vivid dreams too. You know how there are some dreams where even when you're dreaming, you're aware that it's a dream, but others you think it's real?? well these felt very real, & it would take me a wee while after I woke up to get round to realizing thank goodness, it was only a dream... BUT this settled down after the first few weeks, & now happens only rarely.

Before I was on Mirtazapine I'd been on various other meds, seroxat, prozac, lofepramine at different times, but this is the only one that's sorted out my sleep problems. Pre-mirtazapine I was sometimes going 3 or 4 nights in a row with zero sleep, with all the effects of sleep deprivation like visual disturbance & generally feeling like a space cadet; now I'm getting around 5 hours a night & I feel like I'm back in the world of functioning human beings (most of the time!!). It took me maybe 4 weeks or so for things to settle down, so hang on in there, you're pretty much there now. With any luck there'll be no need for you to read this as you'll be feeling better already!

• Posted

Hi Noddy, you're definitely not alone!!

I switched from Citalopram to Mirtazapine also and whilst the Mirtazapine is (at last) improving my sleep pattern, I also have some fairly hideous dreams and am as crabby and irritable as I have ever been - for no obvious reason. At least, though, I am getting some sleep now whereas before I was going three maybe four nights just lying awake.

Hopefully it will all improve for us soon!!

Best regards.

• Posted

When I took Citalopram a while back, I didn't get the opportunity to dream because I couldn't fall asleep even if I was exhausted.

Mirtazapine gives me a fantastic sleep every night although I do sometimes wake up feeling somewhat shaken because of strange dreams. They aren't frightening dreams or nightmares but very [i:3c3c3aa895]random[/i:3c3c3aa895]. Its random people in random locations doing random stuff, all of which seems very real and it can take a few minutes for me to shake off the emotions attatched to the events that I dreamt.

Personally, I can live with it and I don't find it porblematic.

• Posted

:shock: I seem to be reliving nightmares when I sleep. They tend to be me locked in some place or another and I cant get out. They seem so reall, and I cant seem to get out of them...But sleeping better, but worried as Ive had a bad few days but hinkI ve had a bug as My Becca was sick too.

:shock: :lol: Just fell out with some woman who thinks I just offend people by discussing my MHI, would anyone else agree with her?????

Seriously bad heartburn and noticed my chest has grown....this pill seems to pile the pounds on......another one of my anxieties, but feel better for the sleep. Also noticing lots of wind as well. I dont understand this heartburn thing. though I have been eating a lot of carbs oh and cheese.

• Posted

its strange you should mention this. i personally was wondering the same thing.....in last nights dream i was stuck in a dark, frightening tower with...death and darkness....lurking close at hand. then i woke up. or so i thought,and i was plunged into another dark nightmare. i am only 18 years old, and i have been on mirtazipine for about a month. i am not a depressed or dark person. i certainly hope these dreams fade....theyre terrible.
  • Edited

IVE BEEN TAKING MIRTAZAPINE FOR 3 WEEKS NOW AND VERY NIGHT I HAVE HAD THE MOST SEVERE VIVID DREAMS THAT FEEL VERY REAL AND CONFUSING,ALSO I HAVE FOUND DRINKING EVEN ONE OR TWO PINTS OF LAGER THE DAY AFTER I AM HORRIBLY DEPRESSED ANXIOUS AND LETHARGIC,DOCTOR SAS TO STICK IT OUT,IM SLEEPING BUT AM SO TIRED AND DRAINED
    • Posted

guess

how are you now? My son had extremely vivid surreal dreams like yours. he has been having them for almost 1 year and half. has tried many ad and therapies but nothing seems to help. If only i could stop those dreams that he says wreck him horribly. we figure that he has trauma related problems. no one is able to help him. he is currently seeing a psychologist and hes started EMDR but very very slow moving. my son is only 19. Had to stop A levels. he is so bright and tries every way possible to help himself. could he be trying too hard? im so lost and sad as his mom. any advise, Guess or anyone whos been through similar problems?

• Edited

I am so sorry your son is having such a bad time, it is incredibly hard to see a loved one struggling so hard, especially one so young. Personally I had to stop taking the Mirtazipine because the dreams were so bad & distressing that I felt it just wasn't worth it so I went back to my GP and changed to a different medication ...... perhaps that is what your son could do? It does sound as if he is trying very hard to get well again so perhaps he is stressing a bit too much & feels there is a lot of pressure on him, have you had any form of counselling to help you through all this? Sometimes, without meaning to, loved ones can add to the pressure & perhaps he may feel that he is letting you down? I am sorry I can't offer you any magic answers but I have witnessed very good results from the EMDR therapy, it may be slow but it really does help.

• Edited

hi Kristal

Many many thanks for taking the time to write to me.I think I do show how troubled i am as I feel so upset that I cannot help him. I google to find out and i try hard. My son is extremely perceptive and he feels it. I always wonder if I can take over his suffering. He needs the mirtazapine to sleep. The gp and the liason person are of no help. He has been trying many different anti depressants..gp changing once one anti d doesnt work. My son has lost faith in them. His next psychoterapist appt is 4 march. I hope it will be continuation of emdr. You know, the fact that you replied makes me feel less alone. That helps me to stay sane and hopeful. This will show my son I am strong. Thank you so much Kristal. You are very kind .hope you are well now.

• Edited

Honestly I do understand what you are going through because I have also lived with someone who has had mental health problems so I appreciate how draining & tiring it is. As much as you would like to, you cannot take over his suffering, you can only be there for him & hopefully help him through it, just make sure that he can open up & talk to you about anything at any time because sometimes that is the biggest help. There is always alternatives to investigate, have you considered changing GPs if you feel that he is not getting the best help from his present one? All doctors are different & sometimes we just don't gel with one. One thing I felt really helpful is baby steps in everything, it is better to feel a tiny success rather than a huge failure.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to all of you first off, i know the struggle that's why im here. But when you said you wish you could take his suffering it almost broke me into pieces. I'm not trying to push faith onto you or anybody, I'm no perfect child of God, but if you and your son are interested in trying a non denominational church or even reading the Bible and praying to build that relationship strong with the Father in heaven, He will take that suffering from the both of you. God is great, I wrote this word for you and many others to read, may your hearts take it in. Yah loves you all, and I love you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.