Osteomyelitis in Right Arm Bone (Humerus)

Posted , 5 users are following.

In early January of this year (2008) I was working out at the gym one day with weights. I heard a \"pop\" in my upper right arm. Did not think much of it. Continued working out with weights for another 3 days. One night a terrible throbbing pain started in my upper right arm. It was bad. I knew it was not a \"normal\" pain. I went to my family doctor and had xrays. Everything came back normal. The pain continued. It was terrible. I went back to my family doctor the next week. By this time, I had terrible pain in my arm, and lost some range of motion in my shoulder. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound. It showed that I had a Shoulder Impingement/Frozen Shoulder. I thought, at the time, that this was the most terrible thing in the world. Boy, was I wrong. I began physio on my arm, took anti-inflammatories and pain killers. My ROM came back, shoulder got better. I was still having terrible pain in my arm. That same \"throbbing, pulsating\" pain. I was not sleeping at this point. I went to see a few sports and rehabilitation doctors. I got a cortizone shot in my shoulder for the pain. Did not work. I requested another ultrasound from my doctor. It showed that I had a partial bicep tear. I thought that that was the cause of all my problems in the first place. So I began treating that. I had another cortizone shot in my bicep. It made things worse. I was a terrible mess. On painkillers, NSAIDS, anti-depressants, etc. I was at my \"witts-end\". On another last ditch attempt visit with my family doctor, he prescribed me antibiotics because he beleived that I had an infection. My arm was swollen, sore to the touch, very painful, I had a fever, etc. The antibiotics worked. My swelling went down, the pain started to go away, I started to feel like myself again. I thought I was cured. In the meanwhile I had a bone scan. It came back \"not normal\". My pain doctor who made me have the bone scan told me to go to the hospital right away because he thought that I had cancer in my bone. At this point I was feeling better after being on antibiotics for only a few days. I was devestated. I could barely even beleive it - in fact - I did not beleive it. I was admitted to the hospital where I had numerous testing done. MRI, CT Scans, Xrays, bloodwork, etc. I was being treated for a bone infection and was on intervenous meds for 4 days. On my fifth day in the hospital, my doctor changed her diagnosis and told me out of the blue that she beleived that I had cancer in my arm bone. Either Lymphoma or Sarcoma. Needless to say - I was in a state of shock. I was sent for a biopsy of my arm bone. I had to wait approximately 3 weeks from the date I was told that I had cancer until the day I received the results from the biopsy. I was told that I did not have cancer and had chronic Osteomyelitis. I was so happy to hear this news. I just went to go see an infectious disease doctor today. She told me that the damage to my humerus was bad and that it would not be \"the same\"anymore. I can't do any weightlifing anymore. I am on oral antibiotics for at least three months. I have a Stafh bacteria that somehow nested in my arm bone. I am just thankful that it is not cancer. I do hope though that my infection goes away and NEVER comes back and that the damage to my humerus does not affect my every day to day life. This is my story.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wow, some story! Poor you, but at least cancer has been ruled out. Do hope that the antibiotics soon rid you of infection once and for all. Good luck.
  • Posted

:cry: i was devestated when i read your article. i have osteomy. at the top of my right shoulder also! the top of my humerous is gone. the ball and the cup. my family just doesn't understand it. the intense throbing pain . a constant pain 24,7 ! i'm on pain killers and anti depress. also. mine started with my hip joint.went to the hospital and got antibiotics iv drip for six wks. i was discharged with my hip still infected! i have been in the medical field for ten years and i new it was! the doctor told me i was wrong and i left. two weeks later i was back in the hospital with my hip blown p like a baloon. they had to cut me open and go in 4 times down there and scrape the bone, plus a wound vac for 2 weeks before they sewed me up! in the two weeks after my first discharge my right shoulder was hurting so bad. the nurse came in to take my vitals one night and i felt my arm pop!that was it for my shoulder! by that time it was to late for saving my arm. now i walk with a walker because i have no left hip and in a wheel chair also. i put alot of pressure on my arms when walking to my car or anywhere else in the house. i take my electric chair to the store and to the rx. across the street.i'm right handed so you see i really got the shaft!my r hand and l leg! that takes the cake! my hip doesn't hurt any more, its been 3 years. my r shoulder has never stopped hurting, its just gotten worse with time. i keep hoping and begging i'd have to say forsomeone to open my shoulder up and scrape all that dead bone and tissue out of there but i'm always told its to late nothing can be done. i am going to keep on trying until some one does something because i can't keep living with this pain. i don't even sleep anmore, maybe 1or2 hours a night.
  • Posted

OMG reading this I feel your pain. I have had both Osteomiealitis and staphylococcus aureus. I still have staph in my knee after a simple operation to remove broken bone. And I couldn't touch my leg, not even with one finger. I was on7 antibiotics for 3 weeks and am still taking them nearly four years later. I can't have an operation on my leg until the infection has gone. So I have rpto wait till next year for tests. I was then on 28 tablets 4x daily. I'm on morphine tablets and drink liquid oramorph as and when the pain goes through the roof. 

Osteomiealitis I had when I was very young all I remember is the pain. I had it in my arm bones to. My arm bones are a bit unusual in shape now.

the surgeons said that I'm prone to staph infections I also had scarlet fever as a child. I no it's all staph related. I am so happy to hear you are getting better. I haven't been able to return to my job as a manager with the British army after 24 years service working I am now semi disabled.

keep your spirits up I no that it depresses you I was at the end and I couldn't take any more. But there is light at the end of the road and that's what keeps me going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.