excessive urination

Posted , 31 users are following.

Does any one have the side effect of needing to urinate more especially at night.Since going on 10 mg of amlodipine i can't stop going to the loo every five minutes.What have other people done about the excessive urination?

andy

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Andy,

I am 76 and have been on Amlodipine for some years to lower blood pressure which appeared overnight in March 1998 following a major brain operation for the removal of a benign tumour. Although I make a point of not drinking after 5.00 pm I still spend the night going to and from the toilet where I pass a considerable amount of urine. I have no problem during the day! It baffles me, and I think I will try abandoning the drug and, at the same time, I will closely monitor by BP using my own monitor.

• Posted

I have been on Amlodipine for a year naw and have the problem of passing urine 3 to 4 times a night , I honestly thought I was the only one dealing with this problem. Does anyone know how to get round this???
    • Posted

I had that problem with hydrochlorothiazide, except it kept me from urinating almost at all with the exception of a very small amount during the day then all hell would break loose around 4 am. It's called a paradoxical effect. Got off the hctz and only took lisinopril and I peed so much during the day every day it was ridiculous. Off any bp meds so far for about six months but may have to get back on due to urinary interference for hours after exercising

• Posted

Hi,

I also have this problem. I never needed to get up to go to the toilet in the night (unless I had drunk a lot of beer!)

After being on amlodipine for 18 months, I probably have to get up 5 nights a week between 4 and 6am which seriously upsets my sleep pattern.

Chris

• Posted

I too felt terrible on Amlodipine, frequent urination, swollen feet and ankles, especially if I have been travelling, bloated stomach, I looked pregnant, itchy skin, particulary when attempting to sleep at night, white fingers, which my doctor said was very strange but I see others also have suffered from this too. Tiredness and weakness, my muscles just could not lift weights that I would have been able to lift before, and the tiredness and weakness and all the other symptons have disappeared now I no longer take this drug. I expect my doctor will have a fit when I go back to him on Friday, but I now feel alive again, I have not taken the drug for a month, and feel like a new person. Good luck everyone out there with high blood pressure, I really don't know what the answer is.
  • Posted

I would recommend trying amitriptyline i take 50mg at night this helps my frequent trips to the loo, having been on Amlodpine 10mg for about 3yrs i must say this is the wrost medication i have ever been prescribed this has taken me from active 40yr old to feeling as if i was 80yrs the aches and pains mobility probs. etc. i dont need to go into detail as all other posts relate to same problems, i am now off them and trying out lisinopril as i found out the amlod. was not making any diff. to b/p it's early days yet but i can only hope that through time i start to get some mobility back and the aches and pains go, meanwhile i will stick to the amitriptyline this also helps dull the pain and let me get a nights sleep..All the best with your treatments but if you can help it stay away from amlod.
  • Posted

Where are your aches and pains; could you please be more specific. Where does it hurt and when? Because I have pains too.
  • Posted

Yes, I am on just 2.5 mg of amlodopine for two years now. I am 60 years old. I have always dealt with frequency, but over the last two years being on amlodopinee, I go to bathroom all through the night and it is bothersome through the day as well. Right now, my urologist is checking to see the times I go and how much by using a log sheet. I also take Gelnique now to help with frequency, but if I do not take it for the day, the frequency comes right back. I suffer really bad with this problem and now I have to go to primary doctor to see about coming off of amlodopine just to see if I have some relief. The new urologist also have all my records from old urologist. This frequency is affecting my quality of life. Can anyone HELP.
  • Posted

See below. The cursor must have jumped to another box. I replied to blarm44. Thanks.
  • Posted

My husband has the same problem. Even though he has been on it for years, after brain surgery, the excessive urination at night started to happen. Along with this he had very low blood pressure and the medication had to be held. From looking at the remarks, we should all report this finding/side effects to the pharmaceutical compang
  • Posted

I was on 5mg Amlodapine for about 3 yrs. LOTS of side effects one of which was excessive urination at night (having to use the toilet about 4-5 times EVERY night). I thought it was down to getting older and would have to learn to cope with it. THEN I realised, after coming across this site, that all the side effects I was having were being experienced by others on this horrid drug. I stopped taking Amlodopine (with my Dr's approval once I had visited her and shown my BP readings after stopping it) and ALL the side effects I was having, including excessive night time urination, gradually disappeared over the next month or two. I now sleep right through the night and no longer feel exhausted during the day wink 
  • Posted

After many years of sleepless nights I am, today, discontinuing my 5mg Amlodipine.  I shall monitor my BP and will visit my GP if the figures start to worry me.  I have always felt that, because my raised BP appeared on the day of my brain operation, then the body itself will gradually return to normal given enough time.  It is now 17 years since that fateful day and I suspect that my current figures of 120/60 have come about naturally.  It's the rationale of an idiot I suppose!  We shall see.
  • Posted

Hello,

I am glad to see I am NOT the only one.  I pee so much that I lost a lot of potassium which gave me hell of cramps in my legs and I could not move my legs because of it. Right now I am peeing like hell.  I have to speak with my doc to switch me to another medication.  Thanks for all of you guys opinion, it really helped me.

• Posted

I too have been on amlodipine for over 2 years with frequent night urinations (3-4x a night).  I'm 58 so I thought I was aging until others my age said they were not having those problems.  When my new internist mentioned that it could be the amlodipine, I then realized that the frequent urination did not start until I was switched from norvasc to the generic version (amlodipine besylate).  Has anyone noticed this?
  • Posted

Yes you are absolutely right I hardly go to bed anytime I took Amlo....I have sleepness night going to loo every 5mins. what a nightmare taken amlodopine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.