General Anaesthetic Fear - please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I'm so sorry to post and ask a question lots have probably asked.

I'm due in for varicose vein treatment this week and I have been advised to have this done under a General Anaesthetic because all of my veins cannot be treated under a Local. I'm also super anxious that even under a local I'll need chilling out!

I'm absolutely petrified, I've called the hospital, spoken to my gp etc and all seem so unworried and matter of fact about it. I just want to talk to someone and not go into detail on their responses to help me get through this. I'm not sleeping, I'm so anxious that weight is falling off me, I am really really scared. It's not the procedure, I am at ease with that element, it is having the anaesthetic and I'm worried something will go wrong that is concerning me. What's worse is I know I'm ridiculous and that makes me worse. I've asked for sedation but I'm told this is dangerous. I've been told I'm more likely to have a real bad car accident etc but this doesn't help me because if there is a risk then it can happen.

I just feel like I'm not going to be able to go into the hospital on the day. I know that I need to get a grip but I just can't, I really cant.

Does anyone have any advice (be nice please :-) )

For reference I'm a 40 yo male and have never had a General Anaesthetic before.

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry. I had my veins done under general 6 weeks ago, also my first time under. Though slightly worried, in the end it was fine and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. fully recovered now :-)
  • Posted

Hi Paule,

Don't be scared ,everything will be good even if u will have complications as i did have.

This is a routine Op this days just need to follow the doctor advice 100 % and u will be fine

One more thing u need to be strong and be able to manage after OP pain with the pain killer

Also u need to manage the stockings which are the killer especially for 6 weeks

Wish u good luck

viola ;-)

• Posted

Thanks guys, I don't care about the pain after although I have been told it will be little if at all. I've just recovered from a quite severe herniated disc and that was excruciating at times.

Great to hear your success Paul28624. I wish I could be slightly worried :-) I'm beyond petrified. I've just been allowed to build this up to such a major thing! I'm imaging the act of walking into the room and getting on the table. I just can't see me doing it :-(, maybe I'm misjudging the capabilities of the people to talk me through it. I really just want this.

Did you really just go under and come around? My heart is racing just thinking of it.

• Posted

Want this procedure to be over and complete I mean
  • Posted

Dont worry and just trust the docs they are good and look after u the full anaesthetic is better as the PDA

For sure ;-)

• Posted

I have had my 2 nd leg done last wednesday and i am fine just need to wear the stupid stockings and the thrombosis injection which are not nice bit all in all i am ok and you will he as well:-)
  • Posted

Ups sorry for the mistakes this is my I pad writing words wrongly
  • Posted

Thanks, i just need to learn to get my anxiety in check somehow. Im going to beg and plead for an epidural!!
  • Posted

Hey Paule,

U will survive the high risks patients are the one with high overweight oder medical conditions ect or medication if you r health person u dont have to be worry all will be good i am ur age as well and i have had lot of anastetics lately and all went well even as i am smoker so dont worry

And sleep well

• Posted

Hi Folks,

Just checking in and saying thanks.

I came through my anxiety and stress and do you know what, it was just stupid. Hindsight is a lovely thing but given it, I would have been a little nervous and nothing more. I owe a lot to my anaesthetist and consultant as they got me through it, but to anyone reading this, if you are in good health, it is a breeze!! :-)

• Posted

Hi Paul! thanks so much for sharing your fears..I have a vascular problem in my leg and need to do schlerotherapy and they want me to be knocked out. I'm not only petrified of being knocked out, but really nervous about the procedure and getting a blood clot. I have a bad vascular anomolie around my knee and behind it. If anyone else is reading this and has a similar situation (worse than varicose), please share your schlerotherapy experience. Thanks!  And Paul, so glad you came through just fine!! smile
  • Posted

Please go for General Anaesthetic.   I was supposed to be given this but surgeon decided to go for local.  Unfortunately it did not `take` and the pain from the procedure the most painful experience of my life so far.  if i decide to have other leg done then I would insist on General.  Hope this helps
  • Posted

Are they on your legs?  If so-why cant they give you a spinal? The legs go totally numb and stay that way for several hours. Ive had a knee op and an op on my bottom this way-its such a brilliant answer. Ask for it.

My fear of G.A.s is EXACTLY the same as my fear of stepping onto a plane. (Which I've never done-or ever will) Does anyone else out there understand that?

• Posted

I had vein stripping done in both legs 2.5 wks ago and had a spinal with sedation and I wouldn't have it any other way! I don't feel good after a general and wanted to avoid feeling like that again. I was clear headed right away with a touch of  nausea butch they took care of that quickly which was awesome. The spinal wore of quite quickly and I could walk to the bathroom .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.