Effects of Clarithromycin

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was prescribed Clarithromycin for an infection whichhad produced phlegm and was making me exhausted. I had not been prescribed antibiotics for about 22 years.

The effects have been incredible. Whilst I could feel the infection shifting - from day one I felt spaced out very very tired and had trouble with cognitive thinking.

Every little task took longer to do.

I did consider on day one that I would stop taking Clarithromycin and ask my GP for a different drug,

However I decided to press on and complete the 5 day course,

I will never take this drug again - the effects have been too severe - mind altering and exhausting.

Alcohol was definitely not an option whilst taking this drug

Goodness knows what would have happened if I had had even a sniff of wine!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Hello Kathleen.

I have been prescribed that myself. I didn't take it, because all the mycin groups affect me.

In fact there are not many medicines I can have without having an adverse effect on me.

But I took eyrumiycin but not sure if that's how it's spelt but I had a bad reaction to it.

I'm a mild asthmatic, pollen affects me very badly. But this drug makes me sick and dizzy and also

Breathless! I'd advise you not to take it again. If it had such a terrible effect in you.

I cannot take penicillin myself. I will land up with a rash and being out of breath!

So if you do have a violent reaction to certain drugs, tell your doctor so it can be struck off!

You won't be prescribed that type of drug again.

Okay hope this helps x🐥😊

• Posted

Did you get severe panic anxiety and crying bouts? As I am at my wits end, since starting these tablets I have been feeling dreadful.
  • Edited

As I said I will not be taking Clarithromycin again,, and will of course inform my GP of the effects it had on me.

If you feel at your wits end you should immediately see your doctor. I have also signed up to the Yellow Card Scheme - which is government funded- to make sure that this data is collected

• Posted

Hi My name is Teresa. I'm from the states. It's amazing I found this as my doctor just prescribed me this medication yesterday. I have had a severe sinus infection for weeks. The problem is it now almost 3 am and I cannot fall back asleep. Any similar experiences?

Thank you for posting this.

• Edited

Hi Teresa

Yes this was also one of the side effects for me- wide awake from 4 - 6 am

That was not too much of a problem - it was the other horrible side effects. It works well for lots of people without the horrid side effects - my niece is one such person- I hope that you are too

• Edited

Hiya Ive just been prescribed clarithromycin and it's only been about an hour ago that Ive taken them and got a horrible taste in my mouth and feel sick and dizzy it's that how u felt and will the taste go away if I carry on taking them x 
    • Edited

Hi there.

I remembered that when I took this drug, it made me feel sick and very dizzy I couldn't breathe too well. But I was also taking euro mycin at the same time. I cannot take many drugs anyway. I am very limited.

But for me I stopped taking it straight away. I informed my doctor what was happening at the time, and I was told to stop taking them. 

So it's up to you. If it is making you too sick ask to change your prescription.

I hope this helps you Hun x😊🐥X

• Posted

Ok thanks for that I can't take many tablets too always get a lot of the side affects too! I'll have to speak to the dr tomorrow and see if I can't have an other prescription! Thanks for gettin back to me tho x
  • Posted

I took another macrolide drug, azithromycin this winter 2016 for a chest infection. By the last dose I was havin continual feelings of being unable to catch my breath along with dizziness, anxiety, and severe insomnia.This same reaction occured two years ag when I took a form of doxycycline (not of same drug family).  I know others who have had similar reactions to both of these drugs, especialy the azithromycin, a family member of the drug you took.  These drugs are dangerous for a percentage of the population, such as myself.  The azitrhomycin has a half life of 17 days and it stays in the cells for even longer.  Doctors often tell us it is in our heads, well, yes, it can cause severe and debilitating neurolgical problems throughout the body.  After a week of those side effects, I  went to my acupuncturist who told me this drug was "poison" to my body. She detoxed me every day for 4 days and this lessened the problems substantially. However, it took 6 weeks after the half life of the drug before  I could feel somewhat like my old self. I am not a doctor, and so this info only pertains to what I did as a person trying to heal myself.  For insomnia I took the max dose of valerian tincture plus passionflower tinture as noted on the bottle.  I used herbal body detox teas, and my acupunturist had me drinking cilintro tea 3x per day  This herb pulls out toxins.  I will not be using an of these drugs again. Sady, the old penicillin line has been made useless due to misuse. Personally,   I am now researching herbal ways to deal with infections. A great book to view is Herbal Antibiotics by S. Buhner.   I found that  a product from NorthAmerican Spice Company's Oreganol P73 (I have absolutely no connection to this company--it has just helped me with other viral a bacterial problems without those nasty side effects. Of course, if  someone is  under medical drug therapy, etc., , he/she must  check any herbs out carefully. Having been through what you have experienced, twice now, I can say the drug was probably worse than the actual problem. Perhaps the answer is to ensure the immune system remains strong and uncompromised. That is, avoid meats full of antibiotics (use organic only) and so forth. The medicines now being made to combat the superbugs seem to be far  more potent  than many bodies can handle   I guess we must weigh the benefits versus the dangers with far more rigor.    Best to you Kahleen
  • Posted

Hi katleen. How long did it take for you to feel better? I've been having miserable side effects of this medicine. I've stopped taking them 4days ago & feel zoned out! Help!

• Posted

I have taken Clarithromycin 2 per day the last 3 days for bacteria infection in my stomach. Thank God I read this posts as I thought I was the one having winter blues or anything worst.

After taken in start feeling very very cold I had to had bath many times to warm myself. Some other time during the day get burning extremely hot. Sleep terrible very hard to go to sleep and low mood very different from my character. Anxiety...

Have never taken this before but it's terrible don't like it. Reading all this posts and think I am not the only one I have to call the doctor.

Together with this I am taking Amoxicillin 500 mg 4 tablets per day.

Have not taken antibiotics for 10 years and hope will never take them again!!!! Hope this help someone else. Take care x

• Posted

I have been taking oral suspension clarithromycin and it leaves such a bitter taste in your mouth. I want to tell everyone who is taking this that drinking pure orange juice after and swilling it around your mouth takes away the bitter taste. actually works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.