Bells Palsy after 4 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had this condition for 4 weeks and am becoming depressed.

. It started on the second day of my Cruise holiday. But on reflection I now realise that there were some signs leading up to it. Firstly I had several headaches which is unusual for me.. I also had an ache in my jaw which I thought was Neuralgia. I asked my sister to check my ear for a spot as my ear was getting painful. I had a watery eye and one nostril was runny. I passed a weird motion on the flight out which was the colour of a new born babies first pooh.! Several day after diagnosis I passed several little lots of blood from my back passage preceded by back pain.

I recently started using an electric toothbrush and caused a small abrasion on my lower gum whilst brushing between my teeth. I can't help thinking that there is some connection as the symptoms started soon after.

I have had the usual steroids and also been treated for an ulceration on the cornea caused by rubbing of the eye before the paralysis came on.the ships doctor did everything expected of her. Once home I saw my own doctor who says to keep using the eye drops and an ointment at night with tape to keep the eye closed. The tape comes off all the time so given up on that as just wakes me up at night.

After 4 weeks and very little improvement I am getting scared that it may be permanent and find it difficult to face people and frustrated at not being able drive due to blurred and reduced vision.

What can I do. Should I go back to my doctor and insist on more intervention. HELP!!!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am actually going into my 4th week as well. However this is my second time with it. It's been 20 years since the first time. The first time it resolved completely in 6 weeks but i stated getting some movement after about 2 weeks, so i am kinda freaking out. Have you had your MRI & CT scans yet to rule out other causes? Mine were clear and success no improvement at all my neurologist scheduled me for an electroneurography on the 22nd. Keep me posted and I'll do the same!
    • Posted

Are you fully recovered yet.   I am in my seventh week and slight signs are showing.  The eye watering is the biggest problem.   Using work men's goggles is a big help.

ray

• Posted

most people will always have side effects from this for a long time, if not you are lucky! i have had it for 9 years and i still take gabapentin and valtrex to stop my eye from watering 24/7 . I still get stabbing pains in my neck and ear, tongue tinkles.. it is crazy and I can tell a little bit on my face where it happened. right side.   i dont think your tooth brush did anything but cause a sore. I got rid of mine due to that fact. BP is a neurological disorder, or blunt force tramua to the 9th crainal nerve.   but if i can help or support I will reply!

Hope you are feeling better

Debbie

• Posted

first of all u need to know that depression , stress and panic makes BP worst, so try and relax as much as u can,getting support from family and friends helps alot..BP isn't  permanent so it will go away, i got cured in two weeks time using prednisolone (steroids) and  facial massages and exercises, i know how hard it is cus i've been there, but you can make it
  • Posted

My Bells Palsey started when on holiday in Tenerife.   I went straight to A and E as soon as I returned o the UK as I thought I had had a stroke.   I had a brain scan and various tests, to exclude the stroke idea, and I was diagbpnosed with Bells .   They gave me steroids, but no other treatment is available.   After seven weeks my mouth is beginning to straighten, but my eye still runs.   I used a black patch (minus the parrot), but the best protection is a pair of work men's goggles which are clear, and keep the wind out.   I wonder whether to try a massager on my face, but some patients seem to warn against this.   What do you think?

Ray

• Posted

Hi there I'm also into my fourth week of BP... I've had the steroids and an anti-viral for first 10 days eyedrops and also from week one I started two times a week with acupuncture ... My GP is very pleased with the recovery my mouth is still slightly dropped and the eye is only running occasionally ... My GP has told me to keep massaging the Feiss do facial exercises which I do every day it really is a case of keep on persevering ...You need to stay positive think positive and acupuncture is fantastic ... I hope this helps good luck ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.