anal fissure

Posted , 35 users are following.

Does anyone have thoughts about fasting as a way to heal anal fissures. I have had a chronic one since giving birth 7 months ago. I've done topical treatments and have had the botox injection, but nothing is changing. I'm considering either a 3 day clear juice fast or even the 10 day Master Cleanse. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't tried fasting but have you tried Anoheal Cream (Diltiazem Hydrochloride 2%), this worked for me, but you must use it twice a day for at least six weeks.
    • Posted

hi

you wrote this article a year ago so its been a while. i wonder how you feel now? is your fissure gone ? i got diltiazem creme as well and using it. is there anything else you do to feel better? anything in food to ignore or to eat ? is fiber good to take ? please reply soon.

• Posted

Hi - I went through the whole gamut of lotions and potions and nothing helped to relieve the unbearable pain of a fissure that was ongoing for months. The only thing that finally did help was fasting! Many people write that u shouldn't do this due to constipation,..wasn't the case with me.

Think about it. The reason fissures fail to heal is that they are repeatedley subject to extreme forces and movements which give them no time to heal. I lost quite a lot of weight (as a bonus) and the pain started to subside generally. I think this method of healing takes 3 weeks so prepare to starve yourself until it works....drink plenty of liquids. After the first few days which are hard, it gets remarkably easier.

1 bowel movement every 2 to 3 days has got to be better for the fissure than 2 movements daily....

Anyways...I am fissure free now ,...

To all those suffering,..hang on in there,...there is light at the end of the tunnel...

• Posted

Hi, how did you do your liquid diet? What did u hv for breakfast lunch dinner? Suffering from this since 4 months sad

• Posted

[quote:32a27fa656=\"hydelburg\"]Does anyone have thoughts about fasting as a way to heal anal fissures. I have had a chronic one since giving birth 7 months ago. I've done topical treatments and have had the botox injection, but nothing is changing. I'm considering either a 3 day clear juice fast or even the 10 day Master Cleanse. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?[/quote:32a27fa656]

I've had a fissure for around 5 weeks now. The pain leaves me unable to sit/lie down for large portions of the day. Sometimes, I have to resort to walking in circles just to give myself something to do. I've been off work all this time - cannot sit in a car and job is desk based.

Initially GP was reluctant to prescribe anything other than Anacal, but I reasearched and pushed for Rectogesic after 2 weeks of agony. I had an up and coming appointment with consultant re haemorrhoids the following week, who recommended that I continue with that regime for time being. Also gave me Lidocaine. Longer term options Botox and surgery.

Rectogesic does help, although can only use three times a day (on Consultants advice). Not sure Lidocaine or Ibuprofen/Paracetomol do anything.

However, after 5 weeks (and having had a smattering of \"good days\"wink I now feel I'm back to square one, with the pain as bad as ever. I have been considering fasting (very difficult as I love my food) and would be interested to know if you had any success with it. My main worry is about whether or not it will lead to consipation.

• Posted

Hi did rectogesic help? I am thinking of buying Xylocaine which is dame as lidocaine..its a numbing cream..please let me know if i am giving up too soon on Rectogesic...only use it twice a day when in pain after bowel movement. Hurts even if its a soft movement too! Thanks
  • Posted

I too was unable to sit ,but found a bean bag a great help to perch on as it takes the exact shape of whatever the best position is to rest!

As far as fasting goes ,I'm not doubting it may work for some,but it could also lead to constipation (compaction ) of whatever is in the intestine whilst fasting.

• Posted

mine was pretty bad and found that recotogesic helped. What helped more was eating more fibre because a lack of fibre is one of the main reasons for anal fissures. Fibre ensures that the stools are smooth which results in easier bowel movements and make sure you drink plenty of water too because this helps as well. Finally exercise helped me out as well because it increases blood flow and helps the fissure heal quickly. Cheers
  • Posted

I had fissure 3 months ago with great pain which prevents from working sitting etc. Interesting thing about it is it was not started with constipation.Even I do not remember serious constipation problem in my life.It was because of hard working(it is desk job) and stress.

Sometimes good and sometimes bad(agony for 4-5 hours).

First none of my doctor's advices helped me. So I tried my own way from what i learned.

-First I used Magnesie calcine to stop forcing the injured region (diarrhea) 3-4 days.

-I used Bepanthen cream to cure the region (put finger in 2-3cm if it is not hurt) and made massage smoothly(for blood flow) while being care of bleeding. Additionally to stop ache and relaxation I used nitroglycerin pomade some days.

-Important point for first 3 weeks was sitting in hot water(40C-50C) filled washtub.(At work I used toilet paper to massage with hot water) ,apprx. 3 in a day.

-After magnesie calcinee I noticed to eat vegetable and fruit.1 spoon of full bran at mornings , dried appricot etc. And at least 2 liters of water in a day.

-I am/was careful about not to force \"bowel movements\".

It is not fully finished yet for me-its fragile sometimes.

I think most deceptive point for this problem is it's end.

You should be careful when you think its gone.It recurs.

I'm fine for 4 weeks, no bleeding, no pain...

I m trying not to sit long time at work, at least walk 30 minutes in a day.

Hope it helps..Sorry for poor english.

• Posted

I am trying to recover from my second Botox injection and polyp removal for an anal fissure, the pain is so bad at present when I have my bowels open that I feel quite desperate, I am bleeding quite a lot after abowel movement and legs feel like jelly. I have had a fissure for almost 18 months now and feel so desperate. Will I ever be over this?
  • Posted

I had a fissure for 6 weeks before seeing the doctor, and 8 weeks before i got referred to hospital for a sigmoidoscopy, that luckily never happened! I was prescribed diltiazem which has made a vast difference in the 3 weeks i have been taking it! The burning pain was unbearable before i saw the doctor but now with the diltiazem the burning has gone as the muscles are starting to relax. Along with this I am using dulcoease stool softener and drinking fybogel, as well as eating plenty of fibre!

This seems to working, although going back to eating lots at christmas caused its own problems!

Generally eating a bit less, and the diet supps have made things a lot more bearable. Still with fissure now but hopefully its getting better! Definitely not a quick fix for it, so stick with it and it should get better!

Good luck

• Posted

hi

you wrote this article a year ago so its been a while. i wonder how you feel now? is your fissure gone ? i got diltiazem creme as well and using it. is there anything else you do to feel better? anything in food to ignore or to eat ? is fiber good to take ? please reply soon.

• Posted

I personally would not try fasting. I can see the point; if you don't eat, you don't go to the toilet, and the fissure will heal. But that risks constipation - if that happens, you'll be in even more pain than before. The best way is to get your stools as soft as possible, like a paste, so that you can go to the toilet without causing the fissure to stretch/rip. In order for your body to heal, you need to be healthy, not fast yourself for 3 weeks.

I'm pasting below an article that I wrote about my experiences... I hope it helps some of you!

-----------------

Back in 2007 I was in agonising pain with an anal fissure. After 8 months of agony, I honestly believed my fissure would never go away and that I would be forced to have surgery on it. The pain was so bad that when I went to the toilet - (which felt like I was passing sharp pieces of glass) - I used to think I would pass out. It was ruining my life. I felt hopeless and depressed.

Well, I have been clear of pain for almost two years now. I do get the odd setback from time to time, where I feel that the fissure might tear again, but I believe I have a method to keep it under control.

So here is my personal method to help cure anal fissures...

1) Each healthily, avoid fatty foods, and eat plenty of insoluble fiber (such as vegetables and cereal/bran.)

This will not cure the fissure but it will keep you regular and prevent you from getting constipated. If you've got a fissure, or have had one, you must avoid constipation at all costs! I ate and still eat a large bowl of Bran Flakes every morning for breakfast. Sprinkle All Bran on the top for even more fiber. With every evening meal, I made sure to include vegetables, especially root mash (which is basically sweet potato, turnips/parsnips, swedes, etc, mashed up like mashed potatoes ... it's a good way of eating lots of insoluble fiber if you don't really like green veg much.) I personally found that soluble fiber, such as fruit and beans, made no difference at all. It had to be insoluble fiber, which the body cannot digest and therefore passes out more quickly. If you absolutely hate veg and cereal, try taking fiber supplements such as Fibergel.

2) Drink plenty of water.

This is very important as it helps keep your stools soft. Try to drink a large 1.5 or 2 litre bottle of water per day. I find it difficult to drink large amounts of liquid, so I keep the bottle with me and sip throughout the day.

3) Take two magnesium tablets (300mg each) every single day.

THIS STEP IS ESSENTIAL! Discovering magnesium on a forum was a godsend to me. I can't explain how it works but it definitely softens the stools. I take one tablet after my evening meal, and another tablet before I go to bed. Magnesium was THE lifesaver for me!

4) Take three stool softeners, morning, evening and night (docusate sodium 100mg per tablet).

Again, this is another essential step in healing your fissure. It makes your stools paste-like so that you can safely go to the toilet without further damaging the fissure. In the UK I buy a brand called DulcoEase. You can buy them from any chemist or large supermarket. If you still feel your stools are hard, increase the tablets to 4 per day. (According to the instructions, 4 per day is the maximum.)

5) Use a tiny amount of Rectogesic cream applied three times a day.

All you need is about 1/2 - 1 cm of cream (the size of the tip of your little finger.) Make sure you thoroughly wash your hands with anti-bacterial wash before you insert the cream. Use your littlest finger as that's less painful to insert. Be prepared - it stings!!! If you use too much you will get bad headaches. Some people stop using it because of headaches, and that's a shame, because this stuff really does help. Basically it relaxes the sphincter / rectum muscles so that the stool can pass more easily. If you're getting headaches, try using less until you find an amount you can tolerate, but do stick with it. It wil

• Posted

I need help with bleeding. When I go to bathroom last couple of days I have noticed blood in my stool. What could this be? Do I need to go to doctor for check up? It really is getting on my nerves and my wife says that I need to see a doctor. I really don’t want to go because I am little embarrassed abut this.
  • Posted

Well doctor mention adenomas colon polyps and I found out that adenomas colon polyps are cancerous and this is scary. I am waiting still for my call from a doctor, so I still don’t know do I have this. I found several other reasons for anal bleeding and they can point to many things.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Anal_bleeding__17_years_old_t112688.html

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/rectal_bleeding.html

http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/1127/

Some suggest it might be hemorrhoids some that it might be intestinal tract infection. I’m not sure any more. I really hope that doctor has some good news for me. If not it means that I will have to deal with this for a long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.