I have had a lot of experience of this condition as my s...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a lot of experience of this condition as my son was born with a congenital hiatus hernia. This caused projectile vomiting and feeding problems when he was a baby. He has always suffered from indigestion and is now in his 30's and is about to have an operation for this condition. I have been told that the reflux regurgitation can re-appear several years after the op. Has anyone had experience of this please.

[i:f421c90b58]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f421c90b58]

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

three years ago after over indulging i felt very ill my stomach was on fire i had severe projectile vomiting and it was blood coming up this terrified me and i rang an ambulance i was kept in overnoaght and next day had an endoscopy which resulted in my diagnosis hiatus hernia fortunatly i was ok after with mediacation and a careful diet however i still suffer terrible stmach trouble and cant enjoy food like i used to but i wanted to say that when i had the camera down my throat it was worse that the problem quite an awful experience i would refuse to have it again i thought i was going to coke to death anyone else had the same please tell me

[i:2e080e7373]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2e080e7373]

• Posted

I too recently had an endoscopy with a throat spray only andthought i was choking I had my Gall bladder removed a few years before and have a Hiatus hernia my consultant found I have a deformed stomach he called it cup and spill and I am now waiting to find out what can be done
  • Posted

Although the endoscopy is unpleasant it is probably worth putting up with it. Certainly GRD should be treated either by an op which my son has had or in some cases drugs are effective. My son had this op 3 months ago and he is still feeling tired and gets hiccups but the heartburn is no longer pleasant. I would be patient and if an endoscopy is prescribed, be brave and go ahead with it, tests are always unpleasant.

[i:eff5fe03c3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:eff5fe03c3]

• Posted

es Endoscopy is awful and I have had 2 with only the throat spray. what I would emphasise however is that it is abso;utely necessary to gain a full and accurate diagnosis and the alternative is an xray with barium liquid swallowed to show up the oesophagus and stomach. I would avoid xrays when there is an alternative which infact gives a clearer view to the practitioner!

[i:b3c2631aa9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b3c2631aa9]

• Posted

I have had an endoscopy twice, both times I was sedated and never knew a thing until about half an hour later when I woke up properly. Far, far better than having your throat sprayed. Now I have been found to have a hiatus hernia (sliding)
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia about 4 years ago this was after two years of tests to find out what was wrong. Had several endescopes (it took three of them to tell me that I had hiatus hernia) then I had to have tube put through my nose down into my gullet for 24 hours to measure the level of aciditiy which was extremely high. During the period up to being diagnosed I lost 5 stone in weight because I could not keep anything down. (well at least I had a nice slim figure by then). I paid for the surgery for hiatus hernia priviately because I could not put up with the sickness and burning feeling anymore. Anyway at least I could eat after the operation without bringing everything up but I still have some acidity problems and am still on the omeprazole. If I do not take this then I get reflux again.
  • Posted

[quote:9864a28323=\"S. M.\"]Although the endoscopy is unpleasant it is probably worth putting up with it. Certainly GRD should be treated either by an op which my son has had or in some cases drugs are effective. My son had this op 3 months ago and he is still feeling tired and gets hiccups but the heartburn is no longer pleasant. I would be patient and if an endoscopy is prescribed, be brave and go ahead with it, tests are always unpleasant.

[i:9864a28323]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9864a28323][/quote:9864a28323]i am a 50 year old lady and had a endoscopy yesterday a hiatus hernia was found .it was the most awful and painfull experience of my life i had sedation and pain relief i was awake throughout and i then had a colonoscopy straight away afterwards i thought i was going to die and 30 minutes into procedure begged the dr to stop i will never ever be able to go through that again there must be a more humane way to diagnois H.H PAM

• Posted

I have had severe colic pain, trapped gas, left shoulder pain (occasionally) , nausea and occasional vomiting for several months; these symptoms always occur during or directly after eating and last for up to several hours. The prospect of eating is no longer a pleasure.

My GP was trying to get me to go for an endoscopy for several months, I was dreading it and kept stalling. He eventually insisted and I had a endoscopy in March 2012. I was pleasantly surprised as I was sedated and knew very little about it - I was hazy throughout the procedure, which seemed to me, in my dreamlike state, to take very little time and cause very little discomfort.

The endoscopy diagnosed a large fixed hiatus hernia accompanied by a 'cup and spill' stomach distortion.

I saw a gastroenterologist a couple of weeks ago who was sure my condition was caused by weight training in the gym. I am now waiting for a consultation with a gastric surgeon. Yesterday my GP prescribed Omeprazole which he believes should reduce my symptoms, or even stop them, during the wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.