Posterior repair for a rectocele

Posted , 63 users are following.

I am going into hospital next week for a posterior repair to hopefully sort out the rectocele I have had for the last year.

I would be grateful for any information and comments from anyone who has undergone this procedure.

I am very nervous and embarrassed about the whole thing. I will definately leave comments on my experience once it is over.

12 likes, 223 replies

223 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kiki,

I had my rectocele repair done in march and havent looked back :D , there was hardley any pain after op they stick apain relief pessarie up your bum while in theatre, the drip catheter and vag packageing come out day after op and you can take a shower which is so refreshing.As long as you are eating drinking and weeing pooing and no sick they should let you go home on day three :D The only real pain i felt was on day 3 i got really bad wind and gut spasms :oops: but the nurse gave me peppermint water and a pesserie to make me poo the releif was instant and 4 hours later i was tucked up under the duvet at home :D

When you get home take it easy i was falling asleep alot for a couple of weeks :roll: and my legs felt like mush but each week you feel better absolutley do no heavy lifting for 6 weeks i had 3 months off work because my job is manual,hope this helps you good luck Hetty

• Posted

Hi I m was just wondering I m only 29 I was diagnose with rectocele in January I have had lost probleme for the 3 year now I have been told I have urine retention I have a appointment end of April with colateral surgeon . I don t no if have surgery or what will happen but probloble be better that have all this costent probleme . I m also really worries of surgery i have heard so much bad things .
  • Posted

Thank you Hetty for telling me about your experience, it helped me tremendously. smile

My op went well and I also was out at day three. The only addtional thing I would add is to ensure that once home, people who have undergone this op should be careful not to get constipated. I did and had a very difficult and painful time for a number of days. My advice is plenty of fluids, fruit juices and lactulose to keep the poo soft!! :wink:

My only concern now is having sex again. :? Can you give any advice?

Regards

kiki

• Posted

Hi Kiki

glad your op went well ive been checking to see how you got on so very happy to see your post :D I didnt mention the constipation bit as the the the doctor should have told you about that before discharging you and you should have got a bottle of latolose to take home with you :?

Anyway the sex bit :wink: we waited six weeks before trying and when we did we over did the lubricating gell what a mess :lol: after a quick clean up and a tentertive start things were great in fact better than ever 8) no pain but lots of feeling which i never used to get before we are like rabbits now no :lol:

Since my last post i have been diagnosed with a cystocele which my doctor said is mild at the moment :evil: im having pysiotherepy and on a diet to try and correct it without surgery and to try and prevent the rectocele recurring, hope this has been helpfull keep in touch smile

• Posted

Thanks for the tips! :wink:

Will definately wait until the 6 weeks :!: Hope I feel the same way :!:

Sorry to hear about your cystocele sad I hope your physiotherapy and diet goes well. I joined Rosemary Conley some months before the operation and in conjunction with the diet and exercise I lost 2 stone. I really would recommend it.

All the best and thanks for the communication. It does help to share ones fears and concerns smile

I'll keep checkng on the site to see how you are.

Regards

KIKI

• Posted

I had a repair three weeks ago but am unsure what is classified as heavy lifting. I am 64 and run a B&B. Would lifting a lap top be too heavy. Can anyone help please
    • Posted

My doctor told me i can lift a jug if milk and thats heavier than a laptop....so i wanna have my surgury anally not vaginally
  • Posted

Hae just had the rectocele done and a tvt for stress incontinence ..am 1 week post op and quietly confident would appreciate any advice on the sex side, am 50 and have had 5 kids thanks peoples xx

• Posted

Hi Fossy, I noticed your question was posted over a year ago and wonder if you could tell me how things are especiall on the sex side. I am compiling questions to ask when I go back to the Consultant. I have to decide between Colposuspension through a bikin-line cut or TVT. I don't have any info about how they will repair my rectocele. When I asked she said 'we will sort that out at the same time'. I don't really want a bikin-line cut as I have already had one (years ago for an ectopic pregnancy) and my stomach musles never did go back to how I liked them! I am now 56. Thanks in anticipation of you being able to give me some advice. 
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm also 50 with 5 kids, needing a rectocele repair and tvt. I live in Canada. I went for my preop appointment today. I feel better about having the surgery but would like to hear from you. I am having mine done with a spinal block and will be coming home the same day. How's the recovery and what's the pain like? Did you have a spinal? How is the intimacy part after surgery? Thanks for taking the time. I hope you are recovering well. 

• Posted

Hi Lindie

I hope you get this email.  I am going in next week for the same thing and they mentioned spinal block.

How did your operation go?  What kind of recovery is it?  Did you end of having the  spinal?

• Posted

Hello lady's, I'm having this op at the end of the month and I'm slightly concerned as I'm a single mum of 3 including a lively 2 year old, so I won't be able to go for a nap in the day and also won't be able to avoid lifting my 2 stone daughter occasionally. As a few of you have had this op do you think I will be ok?
  • Posted

Hi there

I am 10 days post surgery for rectocele & cystocele repair and have just noticed a very worrying problem.

I have had a very tight pinching feeling in my perineum so decided to take a look. It appears I now have 3

holes!!!!! My vagina, a 2 cm hole in my perineum and my anus.

Have the stitches in my perineum come out? Has anyone else had this problem?

• Posted

Hi Julzy8, I had a slightly different op to yours and didnt have any stiches on the outside but it definitely sounds like your stitches have come out and would most definitely see your doctor ASAP as it may be at risk of infection now or the hole to get bigger, will probably need restiching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.