Metformin-how long do you give it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

:? Just had to say that I was prescribed metformin 10 days ago and told to start off with one 500mg for a week then up it to two.Within 3 hours of the first tablet everything hit home, stomach cramps, wind,diarrohea, tiredness and by day 3 I was ready to say to hell with it there has to be something different to this.

I then spoke to 3 others in a forum and was told that if it should right itself within 2 weeks if you persevere; if it doesn't then you may need to look at alternatives. So, I persevered and made sure I was always near a loo! Day 8 I didn't seem to be experiencing these things as bad, day 9 was a relatively normal day, day 10 I appeared back to how I was. I've just started taking 500mg twice a day. It's day three and I haven't had any of the previous symptoms....however I do feel very, very fatigued. I think I'll give it a week to right itself and then may need to see someone as this is not normal. But, I live in hope that it will go away.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi there, I was prescribed metformin 3 x daily and as i had a steady build up , ie started on one a day for 2 weeks, then 2 for 2 weeks then to full dose, Couldnt cope with full dose as tumy pain and the poo`s was too bad, so stayed on twice daily for 4 months , after this i found because my body had got used to it , and i lost a stone I increased to full dose of 3 a day an it was no trouble , so I guess im saying u shouldgive your body longer to adjust.

Good luck

• Posted

try and wait for a few days

If the stomach upset persists, still ask your GP for the ER/@XR type of metformin

its reaction is slower but the side effects of diarrohea stomach cramps etc should go away

• Posted

I went from ?standard? Metformin to ?extended release? Metformin  ..which only made a marginal difference to me.

In the Letters page of a diabetes mag  ..a reader recommended trying charcoal tablet supplements  ..which again only made a bit of a difference.

In the next issue of the mag  ..another reader suggested 0.2 ml Peppermint Oil capsules as a supplement to Metformin  ..and these really did make a difference to me.  

Please consult your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.