how long for healing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had marsupilisation of a Bartholins abcess four weeks ago now, It burst on my way to hospital but when they got me there they decided to operate and found out it was infected and had to go in very deep. They packed the wound with gauze which I took out the following morning (major pain had to have gas and air) then I was discharged with three types of antibiotics and painkillers etc. At the moment it is still quite sore and there is still some odourless discharge coming from the opening. What I want to know is if anyone can tell me if this is normal and if so how long it takes to heal. Would anyone recommend salt baths?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I had the same op in March and experienced similiar discharge afterwards but only for a few weeks. I would suggest going back to your GP as 4 weeks does sound like a long time, although different people heal at different rates.

Its a nightmare eh, I have just got antibiotics for my second BA and am hoping they work as I'm 35 weeks pregnant.

I would try the salt baths, they cant do any harm

take care

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. The opening seems to have healed up ok now but I have two very sore red lumps next to it.Does anyone know if this is normal? Its very uncomfortable. I may have to go back to my GP next week if it doesnt improve. What a nightmare. :x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, I know this post is a little old but having had marsupilisation done 5 days ago I'm freaking out a bit and naturally scouring the internet for help! I'm still in a lot of pain sitting and it's uncomfortable to walk/drive. I've noticed that I have a LOT of discharge and almost like a tacky residue of white/yellow under and around where the cyst was, no matter how many baths or showers it won't budge. I'm on antibiotics so u likely it's an infection but I'm freaking out as to what this is? Is it normal, is it the cyst still draining? I'm probably going to go and see a doctor to have it looked it but I wondered if I'm alone in this? Any advice or info from your experience would be appreciated! Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.