How long does your first outbreak of herpes last?

Posted , 168 users are following.

I just got told i have herpes yesterday i have had symptoms since monday eve and even ended up in hospital been told i have a really bad urine infection. I feel so disgusting that i have this and just dont know what to think at the moment, i feel so stupid that i caught this. The worst thing is i am in so much pain and have been for about 5 days i have anti bs from the doctor i only got yesterday and i am no better at the mo it stings so much everything is so uncomfy i have tried salt baths..a gel that the doc gave that numbs down there when you wee and nothing is helping please tell me this doesnt last long.

9 likes, 226 replies

226 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello K,

Sorry to hear you just caught GH, most of us feel disgusted at first its a normal response, nobodies ever happy at catching anything, the good news is you do get over it and things do get better. Don't beat yourself up about it, not many of us are certain how we caught this, many people in long lasting relationships who have been faithful still catch this virus, it can happen a number of ways, and plus the stressing about having it does not help the outbreak as stress and emotions can bring on outbreaks. 

Unfortunately the first outbreak is usually the worst and can last between 1-2 weeks depending on certain factors, try and keep the area clean (I just use warm water and don't physically touch the area it can spread), if you have a good quality tea tree oil get some cotton soaked in it and break the blisters if possible get the oil in the sores and hold it there, its anti-viral do it a couple of times a day, if you are having trouble weeing if its really down there, some people take a cup of warm water to the toilet and pour it over their bits while weeing its supposed to help ease the pain, p.s after any cleaning or water goes there dry your lady parts with a hair dryer on low setting, it helps dry the blisters/scabs out.

GH is just a skin condition just try to remember that, don't let it get you down, read GH forums lots of people share their stories, and believe me there is a lot of people with GH, 1 in 6, theres a website that I found very helpful. people have shared their experiences and remedies, it helped me get over the initial shock, crap happens to us all, it could always be worse, you will still have partners and a normal sex life with GH so don't worry about it.

Mandy smile

• Posted

Hello Mandy smile Thankyou for replyin seeing your message has made me feel so much better about things. Like you say i know its just a skin condition its just getting used to it but ill get there smile im just trying to get over this first outbreak i have had the symptons a week already but only got tablets from doc on friday so hopefully i start to feel better soon..I have tried salt baths and have tried not to touch at all down there as it hurts to bad anyway. Ill have a look at the home remedies page thankyou again x
    • Posted

Also i forgot to say i think ive been reading to much into it and scaring myself i know stress and things can bring on and outbreak but i read about drinking can to ? i drink occasionly with friends and i dont want to have to worry about drinking because it might bring it  onx
    • Posted

Hello K,

Your welcome smile  I have read that alcohol can bring an OB on but I don't know for sure as I have not drank for years, I would suggest preparing yourself for a few days prior to a drink, eat healthily and drink plenty of water, if you can boost your immune system as well that could probably help, I usually have a rosehip tea when I'm run down as this contains lots of vit c, but there is lots of other vits and ways you can boost your immunity, zinc is supposedly a good vit too, hope this helps you out. Also I avoid sweetners, preservatives, anything unnatural really as these are chemicals that strain our health, so if your drinking try and drink something natural and reduce the pop/soda in it.

Mandy smile

• Posted

Hi I bn with my bf on and off for 11 yrs and I recently found out I have GH I thought it was a bacterial infection but 3 weeks later I noticed bumps ugh.. So I showed the doc she is treating me for GH but I'm scared to tell my bf we are supposed to be getting married soon.. Unfortunately he locked up and he's also sick with a tumor and cancer idk what to do cause I don't wanna give it to him I'm scared how do I tell him I no he deserves to no 😩 And oh yea we had a 3 month break where we were not together but been back together for 2 months now I have not cheated on him.. But I'm a exotic dancer for a living which I feel I may have caught it that way or something idk 😭
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you've got gh. When I was told all I kept thinking was my husbands chested but the gum lady told me you may have caught it the first time you had sex and it's only just come out she said my husband may be a carrier like your partner could be. When people think of gh it's disgusting only people thst sleep around get it but that's not true as you know anything can set the virus off. You do need to tell him I'm sorry for his illness but he should know just in case he gets symptoms he can then nip it in the bud. Good luck xx
    • Posted

Last week, me and my boyfriend had sex. A couple days later it started to burn when I pee and I didn't think nothing of it because it usually did that after not having sex then I had him look down there and he said it looked like herpes. I'm only 16, and I'm pretty positive that's what it is. I'm so scared because I still have a whole life a head of me.I feel so disgusting. And it hurts so bad when I pee. To the point where I start screaming and crying.
    • Posted

Hey sweetie don't feel disgusted at all this is a very manageable skin condition If you have to pee fill your bath up with cool water and do it or even with the shower running a little on the vaginal area it will help dilute the urine.. If you have to be up and active and moving around in places rather then home carry a squirt bottle with you so when you do use the bathroom you have water in hand to help ease the urine from stinging. Also try to get some bath salt to soak in if it starts to hurt take a warm shower every couple of hours... If you finding it hard to sleep because of the pain take a ice in a zip lock back and put it between your legs it will numb the pain and ease the swelling of any.. Rinse the area with baby soap or dove... Keep the area dry with patting and or a blow dryer on the cool setting... WEAR LOOSE CLOTHES... Get to a gynecologist though so she can give you anti vitals and numbing gel. Hope this helps a bit you'll be fine sweetie.
    • Posted

I just found out I have GH I feel sick put how long really dose this last can't bear the pain every time I go wee and how can I tell if there scabed
    • Posted

Hey sweetie xx I'm also 16 and I'm pretty sure i have it too

I've been to get tested and i should have my results tonight or tomorrow but have bern told it's most likely it.

It burns so bad when i pee and the salt bath only just helps but it still burns like hell..and i scream and cry too x

I'm scared to tell my boyfriend due to only being with him for 1 month and that he will knowing him think I've slept with someone else of which i haven't, he's the first person ive ever slept with.

I'm not ashamed i have it nor angry or upset for some reason rolleyes

don't be so hard on yourself xx it's okay xx many females have it and the more you stress the worse it'll get xxx

I started having symptoms last saturday and I'm intersate right now on holiday (im from adelaide Australia and am in another part of Australia now) i have to get a flight back on sundah and i can barley move...i only went to the doctors yesterday rolleyes

I hope you feel better soon xxxxx

• Posted

Im 19 years old n caught GH when i was 18...i never thought that it would happen but it did. One thing i can tell u is that it will get better. The longer u have it u kind of learn how to deal with it. The first outbreak is the worst..after thats over train yourself on how yo strss less ive had it for only a year n have had 1 major out break n 2 monor ones but u learn to catch it before it come.my partner knows i have it n we are very careful. I dont tell everyone cuz they veiw it as disqusting..buy its not their lige just learn how to cope with things difftently n n it will help. Gh is a part of my life setimes i forget i have it thats how unrelavent it is.

My advice no stress no ob dont let people get to u.only tell those u trust n know are willong yo stand by yourside my bestfriend bf n mother know n whrn i get to stressing i vent n take mu pills always to be safe sqauting helps with yhe burning when u pee sometimes ill wipe with a wet rag instead of hard dry tissue.

• Posted

How did you tell your boyfriend?? I've been with my boyfriend for almost 6 months now so the virus must have been in my system for awhile now. My doctor thinks that the stress of losing my Dad caused the out break. I'm worried my boyfriend is going to think that I cheated!!!

Also, what do you two do to prevent him getting infected??

I also just read that it makes pregnancy risky for the baby if your infected with GH. It's all so scary.

• Posted

I am also 16. And I feel your pain and agony. When your boyfriend told you that it looks like GH did he act surprised? Did he give it to you?

You will get over the whole gh thing bcuz it could have been something a lot worse like aids. That's how I look at it.

• Posted

I got diagnosed with GH yesterday. It's been hard to keep my head up but I know that relaxing helps clear up the OB. I've been taking a crazy number of baths but it only helps momentarily. My doctor put me in medicine for 5 days and gave me numbing gel. My pain is slowly going down but i still have a lot of runny discharge... Is this normal?

• Posted

Hi Mandy I just recently got oral sex and it made me swell up I iced it a little, I woke up the next morning and had a bump on my clit it isn't little it was huge I put a warm compress on it and it got smaller... should I be worried ?

• Posted

A watery flood of discharge that doesn't have odor and is clear or slightly yellow translucent is a symptom of herpes. If there is color, it's probably only visible on a maxi pad, will look clear like water in underwear. You probably won't have this symptom with recurrent outbreaks.

• Posted

I've just found out I have Gh

I'm travelling and alone and am in the worst pain, my whole body just feels so weak and the sores are so painful! I get the medication tomorrow. Is there anything holistic to help? Can I swim and surf? Is a sore throats with bumps on back normal!

Feel lost and very ill

😪

• Posted

Watery discharge is a symptom of GH, though I don't know how long. I think only during first OB along with flu like symptoms (for me was achey, tired body, runny nose, 2 day headache, 2days of watery discharge that soaked my undies, achey from center of left buttock shooting down to my knee) . I wore a maxi pad for the discharge and massage helped with the buttocks leg pain.

• Posted

Risk to baby is pretty nil when not OB. If pregnant during reoccurent Ob, risk increases. Risk of transmitting to baby is highest during initial ob, particularly if infection begins during third trimester or is on during birth. Then they usu do a csection. All this is what I read online.
    • Posted

Massage helped me with the body aches. I read for the sores, put tea tree oil on them and they go away like magic. Teatree oil is antiviral antibiotic. Blend a tsp room temp coconut oil as carrier with 2-3 drop tea tree oil. I didn't have coconut oil today, so used mineral oil carrier. Don't use water to dilute/carrier.

• Posted

I contracted GH when I was 16. I'm now 33 and I have an outbreak like once every 5 to 6 yrs. I been with my husband for ten yrs and I had outbreak may be twice. Yes he knows and he don't believe me because I don't have frequent outbreaks. I have 2 children that are GH free and I DON'T take medicine for it. I never did besides my initial outbreak. I realized meds make your body do different thing and I don't like putting unknown chemical or medicine in my body.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. Not so many people who have had it a long time speak out about it here, unless they still have strong outbreaks. I had first and only OB in October. I'm seeing a naturopathic dr now to try to drive it from my system... A cure, not just remission/symptomless.

• Posted

I was told to use AZO over the counter by nurse..  Magic pill. Pain/burning/stingy all stop with matters of 1 day. I was sso bad that I was scared to pee. no more problems at all. Sit baths do not help!!!Trust me..AZO**** only $7 at target
    • Posted

Hi I am extremely scared I caught gh from my boyfriend and were having a baby together I cry every day help me please I don't know what to do

• Posted

Hello,

I'm guessing you are a person who has had hsv2 for a while. I was diagnosed and had my first break out about 2 months ago. I already went through the emotional agony and all. However my break out was pretty serious. When I first noticed a soar I went to my physician (kind of a mistake, should've went to my obgyn) to get it checked out. Since it was so small he said it was nothing, just a clogged duct and to take hot baths (or apply heat) and it should go away in 5 days. Well the soar got way worse and alot more came up. I got fever after fever and my downstairs was over ruled with soars and lesions. I'm talking all hell broke loose through my vagina and since the 5th day fell on a Friday I had to wait all weekend to call my obgyn and it just got much much worse from there. You couldn't even tell it was a freaking vagina anymore. Anyway I finally got treated for it and since it was so bad it took 3-4 weeks to clear up. Maybe longer. At least the open soars. For about another week and a half to 2 weeks i had yeast infection like symptoms and went back to the obgyn only to find out that it was still the same flare up. Now everything is gone. No itching, burning, swelling, soars, or lesions. Except.... there is a spot (my apologies for being so specific), the spot where my first soar appeared (which got the biggest and most painful out of all of them) that still for some reason hurts. No soar or anything it just hurts like it's still kinda there. My boyfriend and I have checked it over and over again the past 3 weeks or so and there's nothing BUT IT STILL HURTS AND IDK WHY. I dont want to bother my doctor because I've called them so many times wondering when it was all going to be over. I feel like an annoyance. And I cant seem to find any answers on the internet so I was hoping to find someone who can tell me they've had the same experience and to give me advice in hopes it's not permanent nerve damage or something.

P.s. I used abreva along with antivirals to help clear it all up and it worked pretty well. But the abreva won't make this minor pain go away that's been lingering for weeks after I've been cleared up. I'm in desperate need of answers. I want my vagina back. My love life back. Me and my boyfriend have been sexually frustrated because of this and it's kind of tearing us apart because we can't make love like we used to.

• Posted

Hi anna58100,

I had my first (and only) OB in October 2016 and since we had been together (monogamous) for 10mos, we assumed he had it too (gave it to me, since I had only had one partner for previous 16yrs), we continued to gently have sex, since it wasn't painful. I mention this because it seemed like sex incresed the duration of the OB, since the sores got puffy and a day or 2 after sex, another one would appear.

I too have a patch of skin on my outer labia that feels funny all the time since the OB. Doesn't hurt... Can barely call it a tingle. I just feel 'more aware' of that spot than any other area. It is the spot where the last sore of my OB occurred, not the first, nor was it the worst.... In fact, that spot never actual developed a sore, just a tingly little pink patch. Now It looks no different than the skin around it. It might have even felt that way before the OB and I never thought anything of it.

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I'm currently having my first outbreak it wasn't that bad and normally just looks as if I had razor bumps, my doctor didn't really even tell me anything at all except that I contracted hsv 1 on my genitals. Should I be sad about this idk how to feel? I've only ever had 2 people go down on me in the sense of how I got hsv 1 on my genitals. The second person is my current boyfriend of 6 months. He doesn't have symptoms but he's gone down on me so many times ? My other question is, after this outbreak how long to wait, even then can I have unprotected sex with my boyfriend?

• Posted

Hello Mandy i have just found out that i now have gh but can't afford medicine do you know anyway to make the blisters scab over it'd help me out alot!!!rolleyes

• Posted

Heyyy, so I'm just wondering if anyone know what's going on with me. Like I don't understand.. but I had an outbreak in my throat and a cold sore like a month ago and a fever came along with it, and that's okay because I've had cold sore since I was a little baby. But literally just today I had an outbreak "done there" and I've been vomiting and fever and achy pains. I've had my fever for 3 days now and I just got the breakout today. It doesn't hurt too too bad but the thing that confuses me is that I haven't been sexually actively for 8 whole months. Haven't even kissed someone. And this is my first outbreak. So I don't understand how. 😞 Like for me I'm not that upset because I'm not sexually actively at all, but that's besides the point, I literally don't know how it could happen.

• Posted

How do i get over feeling gross and ashamed about myself? And over the fact that I'm going to give it to my future husband and i read somewhere that i could potentially give it to my children during birth...is that true? 

• Posted

Getting over feeling gross and ashamed comes with time. Education of things like how many people have it and after a few OBs (most are really not that bad, out of 3 OBs I've never had a BAD one in 7mos) and you realize life doesn't really need to change much. My boyfriends blisters always happen at the head of his penis, so he gets pee on them all the time, which burns. After my initial OB, his blisters are also larger than mine. We have strain 2, which statistically has more reoccurances than 1. If you have hsv1, you may find comfort in that it may never even have another OB.

My understanding is its near impossible to give it to a child during birth unless the initial OB is during labor. After you've had it a while, your body builds antibodies and if pregnant, your body passes them to your child for temporary immunity. Unfortunately this doesn't give them lifetime immunity though !

• Posted

What is the website with helpful info ? And also really? Do first obs last 1-2 weeks cos mine was 5 weeks
    • Posted

Patient website doesn't allow comments/posts with links to other sites, the whole comment gets deleted. There's many helpful sites out there though. My Initial OB lasted 5 weeks. Each one since then has been less lesions and never more than 2 weeks.

• Posted

Hi sorry I just read this and had a question, I had ulcer like wounds on my vaginal area just on the actual skin, they are now clearing 4 days later. I've already got them swabbed on the second day of having them.

In the likelyhood of it not being herpes, are there any conditions that have the same symptoms?

• Posted

Hi I just turned 20 years old and last Wednesday I started getting the urge to urinate and spasms when I urinate and it burned when I did. Then 3 days later I started having chills and a somewhat fever. Then 2 days after that a blister popped between my vagina and buttocks. It wasn't a bump it was like an open wound. Then a day later two little small bumps appeared near it. I went to the hospital and told them everything and they said I had a major uti and he said the bump wasn't herpes. And I was so relieved the day they gave me the antibiotics for my uti all of the fever and everything went away. But the bump is still there. He prescribed me an ointment for it. And its my second day taking it. I'm so scared that it is herpes after all. I've been with my boyfriend for the past 3 years. I'm so scared. So so scared. Crying as I type this. Can you please help me. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

Sounds like you haven't told your boyfriend yet. start there. Say, so I've been having some things going on down there.... (Probably not the first time there's been something, since you've been together 3 yrs) and you're not sure yet what it is.  Tell him yiuve been to the doc and that you're really worried about what it could be but the docs say it's a uti and they have you on antibiotics but you have these bumps that are worrying you.   Tell him you're going in for either a swab culture or blood test but you're worried it's herpes, though you don't understand where it could have come from.   Get educated on herpes, how long it can lay dormant after transmission, how your life need not change.  Good wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.