Mirtazapine Remeron Causing Knee Joint Problems?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, does anybody out there get bad knee problems with Mirtz?

I have been on 30mg for around 11 weeks and since taking I have developed bad knees and a bad neck. Would very much appreciate any similar feed back.

Thanks and take care.

3 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have been on 30ml for a week and I have bad aches in my shoulders but not my knees, also have headaches. Don't know if this will go in time, these are my last hope but don't like the side effects!
  • Posted

Hi Norman and Judith, 

I take Mirtazapine 30mg at night now and it helps a lot with anxiety attacks and with getting some rest. I did have headaches a bit like hangover headaches, that nothing much helped. The good news is they have stopped, and I only get my usual tension headache, about one day in ten or twenty. It did take a few weeks to settle down. I did take all sorts of over the counter headache pills for the pain, and they helped a bit. I didn't get any memorable joint pains from Mirt. Judith, if it turns out Mirt has too much impact, I am sure there are other meds that will. I have been there and you can get past this. David. 

• Posted

Thanks David how long have you been on it? I have tried loads of other meds but this one seems to really help my GAD and depression but I am up and down so can't plan things. Think I am expecting to much too soon, will keep you posted. Do you still get anziety?
  • Posted

Meds that will suit better, I meant to say smile
    • Posted

Did you eat all the time I can't stop, it's ok for now but don't want to get fat rolleyes
    • Posted

Yep, that's certainly something that can happen I reckon. I train hard to speed up metabolism and so far so good. If you've been anxious and tied in knots and not eating, then Mirtazapine can reverse all that . Hook into the exercise and get rid of all sugar items at home. This is my next challenge, but it's a whole lot better than jumping ship.
    • Posted

Glad to hear that, i need to find a new life now so will try my best as I get better. You sound in a good place, well done.
  • Posted

I have been on Mirt for 5 months now. It was added to the Venlafaxine I was on when I told my guy that I hadn't slept in a bed for a year. I was sooo hyper alert I only slept for minutes at a time. I can actually do the cat nap thing, but this was literally driving me nuts. Anyway, I am much better now. Combined with daily aerobic exercise these meds have done the job. And I did the CBT thing too. 

I would say that without Mirt I would not have been able to start exercise or CBT . For me the crippling anxiety attacks started to improve after 4 days and I was in a whole better place after 4 weeks. If you can tolerate the side effects, I think Mirt is pretty good. All the best, David.

• Edited

Hi there I am glad I found this thread as this is a problem I have been having, I have got  bad knee joints and it has been in the last 2 months since taking Mitazipine, I take 30mg a day and also I get pains in my feet very simular to that nasty calf pain that people sometimes get and my toes lock, could I ask what the outcome was did you ever go to your GP about the knee pain as I am thinking I may have to as it is stopping me from even doing every day chores like putting washing away and I cant bend down to pick things up. I would love to hear from anyone who may have some advice on this and I am seeing my GP tomorrow thank you xx
  • Posted

Hi

I was on mitt for about six months and noticed hip pains and legs too told my doc he said unrelated to mirt

About a year ago the doc messed up my prcription and gave me 15 instead of 30 and guess what? Hip pains went way down I'm in the process of getting off was off for 20 days all my hip n leg pain went away

I bet it's the mirt from my view point 

• Posted

Glad I found this thread, I've been on Mirt for about 6 months now and have really bad knee pain and elbow pain, every time I exercise I injure myself, I'm 37 and feel like an old man sometimes. I was a keen cyclist before I started on them.

My GP said it could possibly be them, Arthralgia is listed as a rare side effect.

Think I'm gonna cut down to 15 and see what happens 

• Posted

i had massive headaches so i came off it.... however, it did help my depression and i am thinking that is way more important. how did things turn out for you?
  • Posted

Hi there. I thought I would register so this is my first time saying anything on this website. I've been on Mirtazapine for a year. I was originally prescribed 15mg but it made me faint so I went down to half a tablet.

Half a tablet was working great for me. I was able to do a lot of things I never would have been able to do before Mirtazapine. Before I would literally cry just being in a grocery store and before I wasn't able to work. I'm now working full time and able to support myself but in the last month something has definetly changed. I had to go see a walk in doctor because I was starting to have very very abnormal thoughts and dreams. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship that I can't seem to get out of either.

I also developed anger problems and body trembles. My eyes and fingers have been twitchng a lot. What I found most interesting about this discussion which is why I was so prompt to register and reply is that in the last three months my hips and lower back and neck have been in extremely poor shape. I've had to go to a massage therapist and my massage therapist did an assesment and said my hips and tailbone are completely out of alignment. At the walk in clinic I managed to get a referall to get X-Rays which are yet to be read to me. The walk in doctor didn't see a connection between my all of a sudden pains and my Mirtazapine symptoms but for me it seems so out of the blue that I was curious to see if others were going through the same thing.

The walk in doctor did tell me it would be best if I went off Mirtazapine all together that's why he suggested I start small by taking a quarter. I had the most intense withdrawals from just going down to a quarter but I feel it's getting better. I had to call in sick at work because of it. My stomach felt like it was going to explode and it was like my body was craving it to make it sleepy. Mirtazapine knocks me out every night so it's been hard falling asleep but just a little bit of Mirtazapine is good for me.

I'm sorry if this post is so long I've just been very concerned and thought it would be helfpul to share that my hips are out of alignment and I had to get X-Rays for it.

If it helps I'm 23 and I'm female,

• Posted

I am glad to have found this thread.  I have been on 15 mg Mirtazapine for a months and my knees have been gradually getting more and more painful despite physiotherapy and exercises.  The posts here indicate that I am not alone and I will now gradually come off it.  
    • Posted

Hi Margaret. How are you today. I have been on Mirt since February 2016 (15mg). From April I reduced to 7.5mg and I am on this today. Anyway I get bad back pain and legs (knees, feet) pain. Thank you for any answer.
    • Posted

I weaned myself off Mirt shortly after posting because I was in a lot of pain in my knees and aching all over which made it painful to walk.  I also found I was putting on weight quite fast.  Even now I amstill in pain with my knees and still having physiotherapy. The down side is that the anxiety has returned and  I am not taking anything else.  I just decided that the pain was more problem than the anxiety. You seem to be doing pretty well if you have been taking it since February.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for answer. Well, actually I have developed joint problems slowly over the months while on Mirt. Moreover I struggle with daily "flu" feelings ... it is difficult to explain. Simply it is like you are coming down with a flu or cold. It is different intensity everyday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.