My Cervical Spondylosis Experience

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Folks,

I am so glad I decided to research my C/S again. When diagnosed 10 years ago (aged 36) there was very little information or anyone to discuss/share the experiences with. Having read all the postings I now find I am not going mad or suffering odd symptoms that according to the Nuerologist have nothing to do with C/S.

Gerry the neck, you in particular seem to have experienced the same sort of symptoms I suffer with and I wonder if this is because we have both gone into careers that involve looking/working above shoulder level. Even the Thrush problem you mention is a common occurence and very distressing, although my doctor says C/S has nothing to do with it. He reckons I am prone to fungal attacks because I'm vegetarian. Codswallop.

Anyway my symptoms to date have been: chronic headaches (feels like my head is being crushed in one of those medieval masks), numbness in both arms/hands that I can only describe as having been to the dentist (that swollen/cold feeling), fizzing/crackling sound in neck, loss of neck/shoulder mobility, that muggy/not here feeling, dropping things and not feeling them drop, imbalance/tripping up, not being able to stay in one position for more than 15 minutes and shaking/trembling feeling across my shoulders and neck which makes my hands shake.

I also have a slipped disc in my neck (2nd from the top) which I presume does not help the situation. All told I have had very little help from the medical profession and am currently trying to get some treatment for my left shoulder. I don't know if it is frozen or I have trapped nerves but it is very painful and when I forget and reach out for anything the electrical shock I get makes me yelp in pain and my arm is then dead for ages. I can't lie on it and when I turn in my sleep it wakes me up with extreme pain. Even trying to put on my bra, top clothes, shoes, etc., causes me pain. I can no longer put my hair up, make the bed, do household chores (even sweeping/mopping causes intense pain).

Sometimes I think the medical services have little understanding of what it is like to suffer continual pain and fob you off with that 'Don't be so soft' attitude. In fact my doctor once said that to me when he was checking my range of movement in the shoulder. Grrr

I recently lost my job because of C/S and have put in another claim for DLA, which they will probably refuse again.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that was a very interesting read. I was told I think at the beggining of this year that I have CS, but I thought it took years to get worse, my Doc has signed me off and advised me to find another job because the one I'm in involves alot of heavy lifting which I've been doing for 10 years and he said would aggravate the problem. The last couple of months it has just got so painfull in my neck, middle of my back, headaches, numbness and yes that not here feeling and yes when I sweep up it's agony, I just don't know what to do because who would employ me now and I also have Hidradenitus supperativa which sometimes imobalizes me. I feel so upset all the time, I used to be such a happy sporty person and now feel like I'm useless. Thanks for the good read and take care.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm glad to hear someone has a similar exotic combination of c/spond and thrush and occassional frozen shoulder(in my case 3 times). I'd gotten used to battling alone! Slipped disc I know nothing about, so I'll leave alone. Regarding the frozen shoulder, I believe the test is if you experience a sharp pain when you raise your outstretched arm above the shoulder horizontal. It is caused by a trapped nerve in neck and can last up to 10 months (first 2 months worst and gradually better). I had to sleep propped in an armchair when it was worst as I couldn't lie down. Also sitting on a hard chair made it hurt. General standing up activities..no problem. Doctors can offer a steroid injection into shoulder, but I have heard this, in itself, is quite painfull and doesn't always work.

Your c/spond symptons are very familiar to me and you already know my opinions on thrush as an aggravating factor. I'm currently graduating towards an anti-thrush diet i.e. cut out sugars, fungus, dairy etc ( its a 3 month diet, details on net) . I've heard it works and well, why not. Sometimes its good to focus on something different . I already know that the neck problem is a lot easier to manage without the muggy headachy thing which I suspect is down to the thrush outbreaks, as they always seem to coincide....typical example 2/3 days of mugginess followed by 1 day of rashes and then fairly clearheaded 5/6 days until next bout. Some of the symptoms you mention, I think are probably incidental to the main problem, c/spond, and a bit of care and comfort for the neck might alleviate them. It may be that with the neck aggravated and stiff it is more likely for nerves to get trapped and cause referred pains in shoulder/arms/hands (as with frozen shoulder).

When I've read some of the c/spond posts on this site I've realised how overwhelming this condition can be (I have my despondent days too) but I do feel that it may be an open door to

picking up tips or just sharing experiences. In 25years+ I've never bumped into anyone with

c/spond and always found it difficult to explain to the ignorant masses (the number of times I've been told that I'm just tense/stressed...almost made me stressed!). So it is nice to be able to read and post on a subject I hold dear.

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with cervical and lumber spondolosis in may this year. I have been in pain for 8 years, but it is now unbearable. I take oxycontin and diazipam for it, but doesnt help much.

I get numb tingly hands and feet, swollen hands if I carry things. Puffy ankles, extreme tirdness, breast pain, head pain, dry eyes, headaches, pain in my rib cage all the time. Insommnia, nightsweats, pain down both legs, spasms in my feet and hands. i drop things.Icant decorate, garden, house work is painful, washing up, sweeping, ironing all mean i have to lie down and rest.

i live on disability, and alone and I am 42. i get no help. I have just gone on the net so i can speak to other sufferers as people just dont understand how aweful the pain gets.

• Posted

[quote:77f3a1db9c=\"jax67\"]Hi

I was diagnosed with cervical and lumber spondolosis in may this year. I have been in pain for 8 years, but it is now unbearable. I take oxycontin and diazipam for it, but doesnt help much.

I get numb tingly hands and feet, swollen hands if I carry things. Puffy ankles, extreme tirdness, breast pain, head pain, dry eyes, headaches, pain in my rib cage all the time. Insommnia, nightsweats, pa

in down both legs, spasms in my feet and hands. i drop things.Icant decorate, garden, house work is painful, washing up, sweeping, ironing all mean i have to lie down and rest.

i live on disability, and alone and I am 42. i get no help. I have just gone on the net so i can speak to other sufferers as people just dont understand how aweful the pain gets.[/quote:77f3a1db9c]

Hiya Jax67,

I,m really soory to hear that you are suffering so much,I know everyone of us know what you are going through.

You say the meds you are taking don,t help much, please go back to your

GP, there are meds that can help, also ask to be referred to a pain clinic.

I hope tghings get better for you soon, and wish you pain free times soon.

Take Care

Emxx

• Posted

ta.

Im trying to demand I go see a rheumatologist and neurologist for symptom control and to sort out the numb hands and feet and the black outs i get with the pain in the cervical region when my head goes numb as if in a vice -

At the moment Ive taken to sleeping on the floor by the fire, as the hard floor and the warmth both help. If i go to bed i end up with hot sweats and also I wake up unable to move much. I lie face down on the floor with a small pillow im in far less discomfort as long as my legs are elivated a little.

• Posted

Hi,

Have you considered treating yourself to a memory foam mattress. They are so comfortable and help keep aches at bay. There are cheap versions available, rather than Tempura which is expensive. Also, have you considered a thorough draughtproofing of the room where you sleep. I've found, over the years, that this can help a lot. Sleeping in a place where there is a constant draught can continually aggravate an exposed and sensitive neck problem.

• Posted

Hi,

Have you considered treating yourself to a memory foam mattress. They are so comfortable and help keep aches at bay. There are cheap versions available, rather than Tempura which is expensive. Also, have you considered a thorough draughtproofing of the room where you sleep. I've found, over the years, that this can help a lot. Sleeping in a place where there is a constant draught can continually aggravate an exposed and sensitive neck problem.

• Posted

it breaks my heart when i see a new post.NORMAL people wouldnt believe it if they knew what we suffer, because we look ok doesnt mean that we are ok. At the moment i suppose due to the weather i awake with painful hands, shoulders(now suffering 2nd bout of frozen shoulder),painful hips. it takes hours to start feeling better and as the day wears on my back gives away and everything hurts. what i would give for a painfree day. well merry christmas every one.
  • Posted

I have just about all the symptoms others have listed. I also have a varicose vein on the left side of my neck. I saw a general physician about 15 years ago, he said it was far too dangerous to operate, though caused by my neck problems. My feet swell most of the time. Hands are not so bad... I have recurrent bouts of Candida Albicans... I have medication for the neck, just cocodamol. My headaches last sometimes for weeks. They start at the base of my skull and creep forwards, they are so painful that I can't lie down or hold my head up for very long...

I cannot wear any shoes or boots with backs due to the swelling which is on one foot round my Achilles tendon and on the other above my toes and all over my foot... I live in Crocs and clogs...

Now I am incontinent too... I never realised all these things could be part of the C.S... I had an MRI 15 years ago and a diagnosis from a neurologist... A friend had the surgery and it actually made her worse after a short time...

Looking forward to a few decent nights sleep and waking up without a headache... I have been sleeping on a memory foam mattress and pillow for about 6 years... I wear a scarf round my head at night to stop any draughts...

I live alone on benefits and will be 70 at the end of August...

Glad I have plenty to do on the internet...

Such is life... twisted

• Posted

Hi all

First time ever talking with people who might "get it"

But I have to, and need confirmation from others

This has gone on for about 8 years but the last year it's been out of control and I'm scared . At least if others have something similar I won't feel like I'm the only one-

I have been told I need a fusion but the thought of waking up from a 12 hour surgery and maybe still having this is just too much

Here goes!

I have scoliosis

Slipped disc

Spinal stenosis in lower back and now cervical area

Compression

Neuropathy

Tingling in hands and feet

Restless legs and cramping occasionally

Pain in butt sometimes

Thyroid problem developed and doctors up dose 4 times and it's still unstable

* now the weird stuff:

A feeling of ( I call it fizziness) but almost lick electrical sensations through out body

A feeling when it's bad of adrenaline where it goes up to my head

This will hardly let me sleep and if I do, I'll wake with this weird adrenaline feeling which can make me shaky

Stomach problems feeling of having to burp, with a feeling of increased air in my body

Pressure in teeth so bad it popped a temp tooth

Metallic taste in mouth

Pressure feeling that can go up to my head

Developed bad tinnitus over last year and the more pressure the worse it is

Pressure feeling goes into eyes where I get blurry then start seeing cloudyness in right eye

This strange air feeling can go to places in my back where I already have so much pain

Left hip totally numb for several years

No position comfortable

Sometimes feelings are worse depending on if I bend my neck while sitting or lay a certain way

Occasional sharp pain in foot and down leg

Pain is 24 hours a day which with all this I become very stressed

Cervical area pain and diagnosis developed over past year as all these other symptoms started to happen

My favorite things are walking and hiking with my dog and yet it has had to stop

Physical therapy made everything more painfull

The worse is that others do not see the pain except for me being hunched over (I'm only 55 and thin) and my family says nothing probably because they are hoping it will magically go away and they know about the fusion

* I'm very good at hiding the pain. I go to pain management also

* so please if anyone has insight or thought I would love to hear because everyday is so difficult and I want to be able to enjoy my life and my family

Thanks

• Posted

I have had cervical and lumbar spondylosis for 17 years and have pretty much most of the symptoms people have mentioned on this site however, one symptom I am now being told is due to the CS is dizzyness and ear problems. I have recently seen a consultant with my ear thinking that this was the cause of the dizziness but after tests he said no, it is all coming from the spondylosis. Does anyone else get ear problems/dizziness?
  • Posted

Hello,

I have cervical stenosis in C-5 - C-7 disks.  I worked in data entry looking up and down for 20 years.  I went out on Worker's Comp over a year ago because the radiating pain from neck to fingertips with pain and tingling prevented me from doing my job.  Neck flexion was my problem.

I had a steroid injection in my neck a week ago and my symptoms have improved a lot.  Sleeping better, less pain.  Injection didn't hurt hardly at all.

Please look into that option.

maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.