Mebeverine and periods?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with IBS about 2 months ago and was given mebeverine capsules (the colofac ones) for the first month, and was given the tablet ones (135mg) this month. I have been keeping a food diary and think that dairy products may be a trigger of my IBS, so have been cutting them out to see if thats what it is. My period was due last week but has yet to come. There is no chance I'm pregnant and I'm just wondering if this could be a side effect of the medication, or maybe even from my lack of dairy in my diet?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise

I don't know if you still come on this site, but I would be really interested to know what happened to you as I am in exactly the same boat as you describe. I've been on Mebeverine for two and a half weeks and my period was due five days ago and it's not usual for me to be this late. I wasn't sure if it was the stress caused by the IBS earlier in the month or the effect of the tablets. If you do read this, please let me know what happened.

T.

• Posted

I went on a 28 day course (3 tablets a day) and my cycle during the course changed. I bled for 11 days instead of the usual 5. My cycle lasted 35 days so my next period was nearly a week late. After I completed my mebeverine course, my next cycle was only 18 days therefore the next period was very early. I use a persona monitor which is only reliable if your cycles are between 23 and 35 days. Mebeverine has messed my periods up big time but I'm hoping that as I'm not taking the medication any more that my periods will get back to normal. This forum is the only place where I have found that other people have experienced the same side effects as me.
  • Posted

I started to take Mebeverine tablets (135 mg) four days ago, in the middle of my period, and it's already the tenth day of my period, which usually lasts for five or six days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.