I'm coming off nebivolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm allowed to come off nebivolol. I was on the tiniest dose so there was no tapering off. My heart

knows I'm not taking it, but there were just far too many nasty side effects, though I freely admit it did slow my heart rate down and I had fewer palps.

My question is, I'm now in day 5 of no nebivolol and I think the headaches that used to plague me

are much worse than before. Is this a withdrawal symptom which will pass in time? I'm on warfarin

so can't take any aspirin or similar, only paracetamol which barely touches the pain. I'm also getting a terrible pressure in one side of head, seems like migraine. I'm still determined to tough it out and

get off the beta blocker properly though. I feel I'll be better in other ways without fatigue and

Weariness. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just found your post. I'm in the process of reducing atenolol 50 down to 25. I've been reducing this since 30 th dec.ive been so much better until this week! I ve checked my BP...much the same as before,but I've had dizzy spells, panic attacks and fuzzy head!  I'm feeling not good right now! 

Researching this I think I may be having withdrawal symptoms! I want to stop completely,but I think that I'm going to suffer a lot to get there. 

Fed up..is putting it mildly...I'd been asking my GP about side effects for the past 5years with no acknowledgement of the problem. I had to push hard to get off the bisoprolol and then he put me on atenolol. It's hell now getting my new GP to listen to my concerns. Finally I persuaded her to agree to this reduction. No advice was given,just that she said my AF could be worse! I had no idea that it was going to be this hard ! Like you, I'm going to grin and bear it,although it is making my life hell! Have you managed to stay beta blocker free?

• Posted

No, I had to reinstate the dose, my heart rate was just too high, triggering AF.  I did however come off the amlodipine, the nebivolol keeps BP down as well as heart rate. It's interesting you mentioned bisoprolol. I couldn't take that at all, dreadful side effects!  Anyway, I have do Derek if the beta blocker is adding to my tinnitus, it seems some folk have reported ringing in the ears as a dude effect. I'm not happy on these heavyweight drugs, but don't know how to get off them. How are you doing now with your withdrawal? 
    • Posted

sorry, that should be wondering if the beta blocker, auto write has a mind of its own!  
    • Posted

I feel so much more " normal".! Head is clear,I can walk..no leaden legs feeling,much more energy,no nightmares,no numb hands in the middle of the night backache when standing : so much better...BP seems to be ok,HR is still erratic( but I have persistent AF).. It's only once been over 100 BPM. And I've lost a bit of weight. Now for the problems. When I get up in the morning I have a small panic attack...think it's adrenaline spike, have varying periods of anxiety feelings which make me feel weak on my legs when I'm standing! 

So...I'm sticking with it... ,! Stuff the betablockers. The side effects I suffered from the bisoprolol. 3 years and lately 18 mths of atenolol have wasted so much time. I trusted my doc and now I'm so angry! All my docs have followed the same type of med. they didn't listen or we're not willing to try other meds. I just hope that I'm doing the right thing! 

You mention tinnitus. Well I had bouts of that too: I was taking bisoprolol and rampril. I couldn't sleep for the constant noise in my ear. I still blame the meds,although I've not suffered this for a long time. However my meds had changed and the rampril dose cut to 2.5 mg.

you say your HR was too high... Mine is generally between 74 and 100 BPM,without exercise.

thanks for your reply.its greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Well done on sticking to your guns, wish I had at the time, now I'm trying again, I'm just sick of feeling sick! If I were to list the side effects of the BB and warfarin, I'd truly wonder if it's all worth it. My resting heartrate on the beta blocker is a steady 65-70, off, or weaning off, it races very quickly to a steady 120bpm. One of the other drawbacks with it is I'm almost too lethargic to actually do excercise!!  I'm plodding through life, and not enjoying it. I shall speak to gp and see if I can take something different. Out of interest, do they give you hot sweats?  Also, I agree with the panic, they are adrenaline blockers, so yes, panic is another withdrawal symptom, but you have done so well. Wish I could stick to it, but the heart rate is just too high and then the arythmia starts.  Oh well, onwards and sideways methinks. 
  • Posted

I know all about the lethargy. Both bisoprolol and atenanol have drained my energy. That dreadful feeling that I can't be bothered and constantly tired has improved dramatically. I can't believe that today I managed to walk round the shops for at least 2 hours. My life seems to be getting back somewhat to pre- beta b's. 

I haven't had trouble with hot sweats,but I've had enough side effects to " sink a ship".

there has also been a marked change in my long distance sight! Very odd,I know! I can now see long distance better without my glasses than with them. 

My HR still fluctuates between 74 and mostly high 90s but it has been up to 118 .

i don't know what is going on medically,but I am feeling better. I'm still taking low dose rampril and 25 mg atenolol ( cutting my tablet in half and then taking off a little bit more). 

I hope this info arms you with enough info to query your GP. Although if he is anything like mine...I wish you the best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.