PCOS, pain and discharge?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, new to this forum.

I'm 24 and got diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome about 2.5 years ago (problems started before this). I started my periods when I was 10 years old and have always been VERY heavy and very painful, they make me very weak and quite poorly.

For the past 3 years I have not had a period 'on my own', I have to take Norethisterone every 3 months for 10 days in order to induce a bleed. Also I have pain in my left lower abdomen. I have had a colonoscopy to rule out problems with bowels. My doctor told me that I should not be experiencing pain with PCOS (??). Recently I have been noticing a very dark brown discharge, I have had this for about a week now. My doctor didn't tell me what this was, just mentioned that's it's all part and parcel of PCOS, I'm wondering what it is?

I should also mention that I experience severe leg/hip/lower back pain (constant pain, ache, numbness and pins and needles) on my left side too, have been for over 6 years now. I may be wrong but I feel as is all this is connected somehow, but my doctor said that this 'probably won't be connected'. I have been to physio and they said there is nothing they could do for my leg, I'm now currently waiting on an X-ray.

Other symptoms I have experienced is bleeding after intercourse, pain deep in stomach during intercourse, aches very similar to period pain but without the periods, nausea and dizziness (sometimes passing out).

I'd just like to find out if anybody else is having these symptoms and perhaps shine some light on this situation?

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am having similar symptoms. I have stomach pain during intercourse, random spurts oof cramps, constant nausea and forever being bloated. I have other symptoms but these are the main ones. The comment that mainly stuck out for me on your post though was the discharge. I have suffered for years with discharge which is very thick and smelly. And I've been treated for a range of things despite tests coming up clear but it makes me so insecure! I hope this is a help in anyway? It's interesting to hear from someone else suffering with similar symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi, the discharge I get isn't thick nor does it smell, I'm just slightly concerned that it is dark brown, sounds gross but quite stringy too, but without having a period. It's not often, I've had this maybe two or three times over the years.  I take regular pregnancy tests because my periods are absent and there is no other way of knowing.

I'm guessing you have been checked for a yeast infection etc?

I too get bloating a lot, my doctor put all that down to IBS though.  I just feel like whenever I mention anything to my doctor, because the symptoms aren't always visible, especially with my leg and side, that they feel like I'm being a bit of a hypercondriac.. That may just be in my head though. 

• Posted

p.s. also get the bad bloating, looks like i'm 6/7 months pregnant sometimes! & was getting the pain in my sides for years before i found out about the cyst & pcos, was told that this was the cause. pains can be quite bad sometimes, quite sharp & sore, other times just dull aches, sometimes thought this coincided with when i should have been ovulating but obviously wasn't.

• Posted

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.. I too get really bad ear infections quite frequently, pain in the jaw etc.. I'm also currently going through another lot of physio on my neck and left arm as it goes numb and tingly. Two years ago I was really ill with a rare Staph infection on my left leg (can't remember the name), it caused septic sores and I was close to going into toxic shock. I ended up having 4 courses of antibiotics to rid me of it. But everything I seem to get, even ear infections is all on my left side. But yeah, agreed, feels like I have a constant infection somewhere that I'm battling, I go dizzy and pass out a lot and forever burning up. I've had so many blood tests, they either come back normal or with a slight infection. I just want a definitive answer so I can get on with my life, between this and severe migraines it really does ruin your everyday life. 
    • Posted

yes! exactly like you have a constant infection in your body & always burning up! it's funny you say that about the septic sores because one doctor i seen after the lap mentioned sepsis & i was on constant different strong antibiotics for 6 months afterwards. some of my bloods have come back with the slight infection which some doctors call just above the normal range, this doctor i'm with now is the only one questioning why it's always like this. am really interested to know if you've ever been prescribed anything or tried anything for the pcos?

also if your b12 or iron has ever been low? do you getting the breathing thing before passing out & how long do you pass out for? please reply & let me know.

• Posted

I am exactly the same. I get regular septic sores on the inside of my legs that either burst or stay for ages. I have special cream which gets rid of them but they constantly get up. My symptoms have worsened recently with excruciating pain and discharge and terrible bloating. Turns out I have Pelvic Inflammatory Disease which I'm on several antibiotics for. However nobody seems remotely concerned about my fertility or seems willing to discuss it?!
    • Posted

Hi. The only thing I have for PCOS is just the Norethisterone, I don't have periods so I have to take this every 12 weeks for 10 days in order to induce a bleed. 

Not sure about the b12 and iron, don't think they have been mentioned. I had to do a Glucose Tolerance test and they found I was boderline (diabetes runs in my mother's family) due to the PCOS this is why it is high. 

It's the other effects of PCOS which is hard to live with too, I have a lot of skin tags popping up in places, I have pale skin and dark hair and the hair shows on my face and arms really bad, as well as other places, such as lower back etc. I have to bleach once a week to try and make it less obvious. It's not really thick, but it shows when the sun shines. 

With passing out I, mostly, get a warning, my hearing goes, I get like a 'wash' over my eyes, everything looks a bit grey, then I'll pass out. Luckily it's mainly happened when I've been at home with somebody, but it has happened when I'm out on my own and it's quite scary. I only pass out for a few seconds, I think, my mum said I was out once for a good 30 seconds/a minute. Last time it happened was about 3 weeks ago when I was 'on a period', I was on my own and went to the bathroom and ended up hitting my face on the sink and taking a chunk out of my cheek. I don't recommend that ha. 

• Posted

ow! that is not good! yeah, the passing out thing is the worst for me, like you say, it's not so bad if your with someone but when i'm on my own & it happens, it's really scary even though i've never actually passed out but always feels like i'm going to. so you've never tried the pill or other similar medications? i ask because this is the first thing my doctor says they normally prescribe unless your actively trying to get pregnant which is why i'm seeing the gynaecologist first.there's this new drug called metformin that's supposed to be quite good for pcos when trying to conceive but not sure about it with the actual symptoms of pcos, apparently it causes bad sickness but i will be asking all this when i see the gynae. i also am pale skinned & dark haired & also have the hair problem on my arms etc, i find that during the summer when i get a bit of sun & a nice tan that it's not nearly as noticeable. i would definately get your iron & b12 checked if i were you, it won't show up with normal bloods, it's only if they are specifically tested for & your definately at higher risk of low iron etc with the diabetes, even if it is borderline.  i find the iron tablets & b12 injections do make a difference. i think if it wasn't for these i would definately be passing out all the time. i think you've done well to put up with this for so long. i've only had to deal with this last couple of years though looking further back, little signs & symptoms all make sense now, but yes, everyday things are so much harder. i applaud you!

• Posted

That's not good is it... This was quite a rare staph infection, it's left me with quite big scars on my leg, all perfect cirlcles sad. The doctor initially didn't know what it was and hoped the antibiotics he gave me worked. The infection had got into my blood, I was throwing up, very high temp and was blacking out etc. The nurse told me I was VERY lucky to the take the antibiotics when I did. It completely ruined my Christmas that year and I got my uni work in late because of it lol.

With regards to fertility, I've got a feeling I won't be able to conceive naturally. Though not trying for a baby me and my partner haven't used contraception for about 3 years. I was having the Depo injection for 2 years previously. I still think that contributed to the problems I have now. As after stopping that I never had a normal period since. That was the reason I first got to see the gynaecologist. To be honest I don't want to use any other similiar forms of contraception until I have an answer as to what is going on. I also think my chances of actually ovulating are also very slim as I don't have periods anymore. Once out of curiosity I bought a bunch of Ovulation Tests and did one every other day for 5 weeks, and they all come back negative rolleyes

Sorry to hear that nobody wants to discuss it. Maybe try booking in with another doctor, or perhaps a nurse? I haven't really discussed much with my doctor, other than her asking me if I'm ready to try for a baby, as I think she would then discuss my options properly. But as we're not yet, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we have to. 

• Posted

I can't take the pill because of the estrogen (I suffer with severe migraines), I was once put on the 'mini pill' or POP, which made me vomit, but found the Depo shots worked for me in relation to contraception. 

I've heard about people using metformin for PCOS, my mum uses it to control her diabetes. But I'm not entirely sure why my doctor hasn't put me on it, but I'm due to see her again after my upcoming xray and want to discuss everything with her soon. 

I've had so many 'full MOT' blood tests, I'm sure there was a mention once about iron, but don't recall B12 being mentioned. I am constantly tired though. Granted I have difficulty sleeping, mainly due to my leg, but even if I have slept through I can wake up then be tired again within and hour. Certain people call me lazy because of everything, but I'm genuinely always tired. 

Can I ask what your moods are like? I have problems with anxiety and depression and my moods just get linked to that, but one minute I can feel fine, next I'm really low then another I'm feeling pretty good. But I feel constantly irritated and snappy. I swear it's hormonal, because that's not really the type of person I am. But over the past couple of years it's got worse. I'm stressed a lot of the time and I have a lot of hot flushes. 

And thank you. You too. I'm just "glad" there's other people with similiar issues and it's not just me feeling like I'm making it up. Guess that's how others have made me feel about it all though. 

• Posted

what you described with the staph infection is exactly the same as what i was like after my laparoscopy, i think the infection got into my blood but wasn't confirmed properly because of the useless surgeon that was dealing with me. was in hospital christmas & new year, crappy one that was! i think your right not using anything till you get the right answers, i too was trying the ovulation kits before i even knew i had pcos, done them everyday for months & all came back not ovulating. my husband & i were doing fertility treatment before my lap, about 8 years with 2 failed treatments but obviously didn't know about the pcos then so think we have a better chance now,hopefully! i think you should get your iron checked again because what you described about waking up & being tired still is exactly the same as what i was getting. i was sleeping 12 hours, waking up & having to go back to bed again for another 2/3 hours of sleep. i was constantly tired & had problems breathing properly, felt like i was sleeping my life away,then the low iron was found & felt a difference after couple of weeks taking them, breathing went back to normal but still sleeping 12 hours a night but not having to nap again during the day, iron was checked again after the first course was finished & found to be low/normal so was prescribed another course & feel much better now! don't feel tired at all during the day now, much more energy than i did have, down to 10/11 hours sleep. so your not lazy! you are genuinely tired & no wonder with all the crap your body is going through. my moods are the same, one minute i'm up, next i'm down & the constant irritation & snappiness isn't so bad after my low iron was sorted out but know exactly how feel there! my hubby was getting concerned thinking it was him & didn't want to be with him anymore, even though i was constantly reassuring him it wasn't. i was just irritated with everything!! & before all this started, i was the most outgoing, happy, fun loving person. never once shouted or snapped at anybody, took everything in my stride! till the pcos, screamed at my husband couple of times who was shocked as hell! never once did that in all the 13 years we had been together! all my friends & family seen the difference & was just as frustrated as me that doctors were saying it was stress & anxiety. think they all wanted to come with me & strangle them all!lol! so yeah, it is definately all hormonal! it's not your fault & your not making it up. you don't mean to be like that & others have to try & understand this & be patient. they have to learn to shrug it off & if they don't, tough luck! like i said, you can't help it! i'm glad i have such an understanding husband, he knows my hormones better than me now sometimes!lol i'm just glad we were together for so long before & he knows the real me. i don't know how many times he's said to me this past 2 years ' i wish you could just be better & back to your normal self.' love him to pieces but my libido is almost completely gone, was going to ask you if you have this problem too? not sure if i'm being too personal? tell me to mind my own buisness if i am, but everthing was perfect that way before the pcos. but definately ask about your iron again, ask what level it is at & even if it is at low/normal, TELL the doctor you would like a course of iron tablets, they really did make a hell of a difference to me, you can buy them over the counter too, but think the precscription ones are better & you have to be careful not take too much iron which is also why it's better to do it all through the doctors, they can keep an eye & check your levels properly. try & eat dark green leafy vegetables, this is were all your iron comes from, & drink pure ornge juice as you need vitamin c in your body before it can absorb your iron properly. a womens iron levels should be 40 or above at the least, some women need levels between 50 - 70, you can look it up. i still have difficulty sleeping sometimes, i can have a really long deep sleep & wake up & feel like i've had a really restless night but a full days excercise or gardening or constantly on the go doing stuff sometimes helps. but am considering trying nightol or sleeping tablets or something. never thought that hormones could do this & make people feel so crap! how wrong i was!

• Posted

Hopefully you'll have some luck now you know what the problem is, can't even begin to imagine what it's like trying to conceive for so long. Sounds like you're a very stong lady though, applaud you for that smile. Hopefully you'll get what you both want soon enough. 

Yes, my libido is all over the place.  I don't live with my boyfriend, but whenever we are together we're, erm, very active. But the past 12 months I've noticed that sometimes I just don't want it. Without being too graphic, I still do things for him. But, sometimes I can go days/weeks without wanting anything myself. Just not being in the mood at all. Then other times I get my libido back. It goes from one extreme to the other recently. My partner understands though, if I say no, he knows something isn't right, because it's 'not me'. 

Next time I am at the doctors I will ask them about taking another lot of bloods so I can find out. I don't sleep well at all, if I even get to sleep. I do have bad bouts of insomnia. I have been prescribed sleeping tablets in the past, but only for short term. I'm currently trying Clipper's Sleep Easy tea before bedtime. Weirdly, it does make me feel a little bit sleepy, giving them a few weeks to see if works though. They contain valerian, though only a small percent, but I've seen an actual valerian tea in Holland and Barret's, think I might try that one too. I'll let you know how that one works out, even if it's some sort of placebo effect, if you believe it works then it can only be a good thing right?  

• Posted

It took me a year to get pregnant with my oldest son and when he turn 1and a half I tryed to get pregnant again and no luck then a year later I found out I have pcos and got put on Clomid 3months later i was pregnant with my youngest and he's turning 2yrs old next month and I've been trying since February to get pregnant again and no luck .two days a go I started to have really bad pain in my uterus and ovaries and started having discharge clear and water like with a little bit of a smell and on and off having pain in my stomach for 2days now and when I pee it felt like it burns and my stools are part diarra and solid and I couldn't get up this morning uhhhhh

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. My Gynecologist has me on metformin, birth control, and he also put me on a edit pill to help with weight loss. Just recently I had a cyst rupture. I was wondering if any of you ladies have had a cyst rupture and can you describe the feeling for me please?
    • Posted

Ive had a few ruptured cysts. For me I felt ridiculously bloated, and had this horrible sharp burning pain in my side that felt like it was going right through me. My back ahed like i had my period times 10. And a burning ache all down my pelvis and into my thigh. Felt feverish and nauseous and dizzy.
    • Posted

Having a cyst burst is some of the most excrusiating pain imaginable. I thought that my apendix had burst since it was my bottom right. For me, the cyst was also leaking and so my entire stomach just hurt so incredibly much and I could not stand straight. This happens to me still time to time and I have to go to my doctor and get a 30 mg shot of Toradol to manage the pain.
    • Posted

I was put on Ginet 86 for my PCOS, it did nothing for me but give me constant headaches amd stomach pain. So i stopped taking it.. I havent tried b12 as they never mentioned it to me and told me my iron levels were fine at normal rate. Like you i began passing out alot first couple of times was for about 30 seconds my eyes rolled back into my head my friend was luckily there but said it was quite scary to see.. Othertimes have been on my own luckily i was close to shopping centre where a guard helped me to sit down and thats when it hit me dizzy spells, light headedness, exhustion, the feeling of seeing blurry people all around me. As ususal i got told by my dr it was my height and weight and my body was out of preportion, i knew it had more to do with my PCOS but they did some many checks and it came back negative. They couldnt explain what was happening to me so i know how that feels. Yes i get few skin tags too on my legs and arms plus having darker olive skin my hairs show up twice as much as someone with pale skin on my face neck arms, i have been told to try laser surgury but know it wont help permantly get rid of it, its a disease and there has to be more to this condition to help reduce and fianlly get rid of this for good. It effects my everyday life and i struggle to be sociable out in the world cause im always worried what people think of my looks and i become afraid to tell them what i have. This condition has been stuck with me since i was 10 years old. And all the drs i have had in my life since then tbh have been so usless at trying to help with a better solution and outcome. smile

• Posted

Not meaning to bring you any worry but ovarian and Uterine cancer are only checked throught invasive procedures, therefore they are not part of a routine check. And they tend to cause symptoms like the discharge you're describing. There also aren't blood tests that easily pinpoint those specific cancers. Often, women recognize the symptoms after its already progressed to a devastating point. These are 2 types of aggressive cancers. Be sure to look them up on Googl and read from several articles and sites. A hormone panel (extensive hormone bloodwork) may also be a good idea as well as a bloodwork panel that checks your white cells, red cells, potassium, and more that I can't remember. A specialist would certainly know. Blessings!!!

• Posted

What is the special cream that you use? My girl friend is always battling them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.