Does it get better!! Knee Arthroscopy (Chondroplasty/medial meniscectomy)

Posted , 42 users are following.

Hi, thank the lord I found this forumt...so relieved. I had a right knee arthroscopy 2 weeks ago plus

chondroplasty (not sure what this entailed!) and partial medial meniscectomy done. To say I feel worse is an understatement. I have lower back pain now and my knee is very swollen and in constant pain. I had the stiches out and was informed it had been bleeding inside hence the bruising on the leg.. Part of me wishes I hadn't had this done and persevered till as long as I could, in fact I dont really think I was in that much pain compared to now. I wasn't given crutches, or exercise to do, the after care was shody to say the least. but I have been doing small exercises and borrowed a cane for the first week.

Has anyone out there been through similar experience and can reassure me it will ease off as the pain is getting me down at the minute.

thanks for listening

5 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dana

i had a knee arthroscopy a few years ago and was given 4 weeks off work, so I'm assuming that is how long they expect it to take to heal. I only had a tear in the cartridge which I believe is the miniscus so they cut the damage away. I don't remember a lot of pain but I do remember a fair bit of. Couch surfing with my leg raised and much icing of the knee. I believe that is the key to improvement. I did a fair amount of walking after 4 weeks but wore a strong knee bandage for about 6 weeks. I remember a good deal of stiffness and some discomfort as I was prescribed a stronger painkiller, certainly not an over the counter variety. If you are too mobile, then maybe the irregularity of your gait is hurting your back. I don't know how much activity you are perusing but I'd say take it easy for another 2 weeks as its early days. Good luck and I hope the pain recedes for you. And yes, it is to be expected that your knee will be swollen for some weeks after surgery. Cheers

• Posted

Hi Gloria,

Thankyou so much for the advice, i am walking the kids to school which isnt helping i guess, which will cause the back pain like you said with the off balance of me...I so wish i could be the couch surfer...I have tried to pass the ironing on!!.  I havent put ice on it at all so will defo try doing a bit of that  a lot more. The stiffness is definatly there, I will also take on board the bandage aswell i have a knee support somwhere i will dig it out....Thankyou for your kinds words of wisdom

x

• Posted

Hi all!

I had knee arthroscopy 2 weeks ago today,  still on crutches and cant do too many exercises as yet.  Had a check up last week and had some internal bleeding due to injections I'm having to thin my blood (had blood clots in the past) so they said its fairly normal - currently waiting for physio! 

Since Saturday one of my incisions has been bleeding (still have stitches) has anyone else experienced this? 

Louise

• Posted

Just read your about your arthroscopy experience and oh my goodness what appalling treatment, or lack of it you’ve had.

An arthroscopy without a proper follow up programme of physiotherapy is just unbelievable. I would complain to your local health authority or someone about this.

I had an arthroscopy last November and it was followed up with intense physiotherapy from day one. It was drummed into me the importance of this – the acute stiffness you get won’t go away on it’s own; you have to work on it continuously.

I received an exercise sheet from the physiotherapist at the hospital where I had my operation, and then they referred me to my local hospital, which was nearer to my home, for a series of appointments two weeks after my operation.

I had loads of exercises to do. OK, they were a bit boring and monotonous, but straight away I felt the benefit of them and that encouraged me to do more of the same.

It’s important to build up the strength of your upper leg muscles as this will relieve the pressure on your knee joint.

I was walking normally, albeit slowly , without crutches after just 7 days and three weeks after that I did a 10 mile bicycle ride with absolutely no adverse effects at all – in fact my knee joint felt better for it.

I didn’t get any pain at all, (apart from a bit when I did one particular physio exercise), which really surprised me.

I’m sure the poor treatment, as well as the lack of it as well, has contributed to your suffering – it must feel awful having gone through the whole operation procedure only to come out at the end of it feeling worse. I was told by my surgeon that it was possible that I might end up with only a very slight improvement, but for you to be in a worse condition must make you feel so frustrated.

I see you posted this over 2 months ago – are you still getting pain ?? If so, then maybe it’s trouble with a damaged nerve ? I believe that’s one of the possible issues that you can get with this operation.

Could I suggest you get a second opinion from another doctor/surgeon to see if they could do anything ? Maybe a complete knee joint replacement is an option. Granted, the recovery time is slightly longer than an arthroscopy, but it may be worth it in the end.

All the best

• Posted

You inspired me. I had been doing pre op and gym and clean diet and did my acl arthroscopy and meniscus partial removal and used crutches and did exercises right away. Very very carefully/slowly. I was lucky I didn't have to take any pain medication after surgery but I also look all info doing post op by youtube. All my info from YouTube and Google. My doctor just did a 10 min pre op and then gave me a sheet of paper what to do. RICE. Nothing else. I'm glad reading your post I have a high expectations of doING well. Thank you. I am day 6 and be able to bend 30 40 and walking with light bearing with crutches. My doctor said keep being active just slowly and careful. He is good with his job. I hardly seen any 4 incisions. I used my own hamstring graft. But my concern is there's a knot under my calf not sure if blood clot or muscle knot. Not painful but feEl very tight esp when I move my feet up down. Any idea? Have u heard of lymphatic drainage massage ? Seems to help with swelling

• Posted

Morning dont know if you still visit this site as it was 6 months ago, I too had a Chrondroplasty and partial medial meniscectomy, I am 4 weeks post and the knee is very very painful. I have been lucky to have a full support via BUPA but the physio sessions are hell painful and I am having little progress, I can bend the knee, but the pain is very bad. I would be interested to know have you have faired 6 months post surgery

Thanks

• Posted

If, like a friend was the pain can take 5 months to gradually disappear. For me it was 6 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Just a quick update...my friend suggested physio, so i asked my consutant and he said yes it would help....note i had to ask!!. went back to the gp got referred went in august and got discharged September with excercises of which do help but hurt. But like John says are essential. the physio said excercise is the perscription not medicine for this kind of opperation.

My knee does still hurt a lot, not sure if the arthuritus (cant spell that! is helping with this and the cold weather)

I do wish i hadnt of had it done still...

I know i need to keep doing the excercises to strengthen the knee and i can see it giving me more trouble in the future, so not really a success story here, But really appreciate all your kind and helpful comments soz for late reply, you have made me feel a bit better knowing that my pain is understood.... I am walking easier than at first, but the constant nagging pain is a pain pardon the pun

Dana

x

• Posted

I have just had the same procedure at my local hospital in Chester. Can't fault the care or staff. Early days yet I suppose.

24 hours after very little pain or discomfort. 

Doing the exercises provided by the physio as well as taking paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

Hope it doesn't go down hill from here though as bandages due off tomorrow. My wife being a nurse helps making sure I do what I should and when.

My main concern is how long I'll be off and when I can drive. I've heard some people off 2 to 5 weeks. Can't drive for 4 weeks etc. 

• Posted

Hi Bob,

I didnt drive for 6 weeks my knee didnt feel strong enough and i wanted to cover myself because if you have an accident your insurance wouldnt cover you as you have had an operation. I think it does depend on the individual thats what my doctor said. Wishing you a speedy recovery, my knees is lots better, still not brill but time is a great healer so they say....

• Posted

Hade my operation just over 12 months ago at a hospital in Salisbury. I had excellent care there and also at my local hospital in Yeovil where i went for physiotherapy. I was able to drive after just 10 days. Keep up the physio exercises  - they are essential for a speedy recovery as I found out - no doubt your wife, being a nurse, has told you this. Don't worry about walking slowly at first, but concentrate on your posture otherwise you'll end up getting into the habit of limping as my physiotherapist told me. I found cycling a good exercise to do as it helps with the stiffness and also builds up the strength in your upper leg muscles which takes the pressure off your knee joint - essential to prevent further deterioration of the cartilage.    
    • Posted

Hi Bob- I had my R knee done 3 months ago....went to PT, etc. but must admit I didn't keep up with my exercise at home....this really stalled my recovery....I didn't drive for 8 weeks (it was the R knee)....ice, ice, ice is what I did along with pain meds....now I'm going in next week for the same thing on my Left knee and I know I'll do my exercises daily....my R knee is 95% better now....can you believe both knee's ???
    • Posted

I had my right knee done a little over a month ago. As soon as it is healed im going for the left !

Laura

• Posted

Can I just say yes it does get better. I had a chrondrplasty with micro fracturing two and half years ago, no walking on my leg for three months then gradual weight bearing, six months later I could walk with no pain. Before op I had a very bad limp and could not straighten my leg. Now I have no limp leg goes straight and can't remember last time I had any pain!!!!!!!!  I also had to have ligaments stretched as they had shortened and my knee cap had moved so that was pinned into correct place.  Had days where I thought what's wrong with me got really down etc etc but now I can do most things. It takes time
  • Posted

Hi Dana

I had the same thing done a little over a month ago. I remember exscruciating pain exspecially the second night. I was not allowed to bear weight for 2 weeks. it is alot beter now. with that being said i do still have rough days if im on my feet too much. The best thing that helped me was to lay in bed and practice bending my knee and using lots of ice. Don't try to push yourself too hard because it will only set you back further.

I hope this helps you

Laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.