Supraventricular tachycardia and exercise?

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with SVT from an early age, and spent most of my childhood going to and from appointments at the children's hospital. Eventually, after many many episodes (and of increasing length!) I was suitable for an ablation. I had the ablation at aged 17, however, unfortunately it did not work and I had an episode 6 weeks later - frustrating! However, it has somewhat modified it and my episodes are less frequent and the length of episodes has decreased substantially from 3 hours to just 5 minutes! So I would definitely recommend the ablation surgery, although it didn't quite have the desired effect for me it has improved the condition and the effect on my life. I now control my episodes through the various maneuvers suggested (and with success thanksully).

My question is, how do people with SVT get on with exercise? I have always been keen to compete in sports, especially during school - however the severity and frequency of my episodes before the operation meant that this tailed off a little. I am now 22 and I am keen to get back into running, moreover, running distances for charity etc.! I am just a bit apprehensive about over-exertion and effects on my heart! I would thoroughly appreciate any help/advice about how much exercise people tend to do! especially those who have been diagnosed with SVT from birth or a young age.

I am due to run the race for life in a few weeks, and have been running a little in preparation for that. But I am keen to get back into running longer distances with a view to doing half-marathons/marathons. Has anyone run these kind of distances with SVT?

Many thanks, Amy

3 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, sorry I can't help with the exercise question, but wondered what symptoms you had? It must have been awful for you at such a young age. I was 30 when mine started and has symptoms on and off for years. But a month ago it was finally picked up with an Ecg. I am on meds but still have symptoms of chest pain, palpitations, racing heart. Sometimes the heart beat take's too long to come back and it feel as if my heart has stopped and feel breathless. This is quite frightening. I feel washed out most of the time.

Hope you continue to improve.   

• Posted

Hi, my symptoms have always been very consistent. The episodes would come on instantaneously and have been recorded, at its fastest, at 230 bpm via the 24 hour recording device I had fitted. I never get chest pain, however, after the episode has finished I will feel quite debilitated - as if I quite literally (and ironically with reference to my original question) feel as if I have run a marathon. When the episode stops it almost feels like a 'surge' of adrenaline and my heart will return to a normal rhythm. I usually will recover relatively quickly after an episode and go about my daily life. However, when they were most regular it thoroughly impacted my life and recovery time. Since the operation things have got a lot better and less frequent (months apart). I would recommend getting checked out and seeking that diagnosis - without a diagnosis it can be very frightening and isolating! Seek advice and support, you are entitled! And if at any point an ablation is recommended - take it! you won't regret it! Also if you experience dizziness or fainting episodes along with the palpitations seek medical advice quickly! 

It is really not nice having something not right with your heart, especially if it is impacting your life so much - so really do bug your doctors!!

All the best for the future, Amy

• Posted

I thought I was the only one to say that I feel like I've run a marathon after an episode!

I've passed out a few time during exercise before my procedure. You'll be fine. Just don't exercise alone. Best trick for me was to cough to stop the attacks. Doesn't always work though.

• Edited

Hi Amy , Why on earth would anyone with SVT want to run unless they have a death wish?  Really cant comment any more -  
    • Edited

Because I am young, fit and healthy and want to exercise and have exercised in the past. And won't let SVT stop me living my life? I have lived with this since birth and managed just fine thank you.

I have been advised by my cardio consultant that I can exercise, I just wanted to hear others experiences re: exercising short/long distances and wanted any advice etc.

I think your comment is slightly unfair.

• Posted

Hi Amy; I know it's been a over a year since your comment but I hope you have been able work up to your marathon distance despite your SVT. Despite what Jay7196 may think , you do not have a death wish by wanting to run long distances.

I am a 56 year old marathoner and ultramarathoner who had his first episode of SVT during a 35k run in November, 2014. It was somewhat unsettling as it was new to me and I didn't realise what was happening. My heart rate went through the roof and I was breathing so hard it was like I was running track.

I ran through the Canadian winter never knowing when an episdoe would hit. I was able to see a cardiologist and got the diagnosis. I was put on beta blockers and just saw my cardiologist today to get  in for cardiac ablation to cauterise the extra node.

My cadiologist assured me I can continue to run while waiting for my surgery. It will not kill me. I will need to take a week off training after the procedure is done but walking is fine. I have no death wish. This situation is not life threatening. So keep training and work toward your marathon goal. This will not hold you back. I'm confident the ablation will fix the problem, but if it doesn't, the beta blockers keep me from having an episode. I would only get an episode during a run and I would never know when it would hit me. On the meds I'm fine. I ran 55km two weeks ago and 45 km last weekend with no problem. So don't let the naysayers dissuade you from running! My heart is strong from 30 plus years of distance running. Good luck!

• Posted

Im 19 sir and i have svt,,i dont know how old you are and whether you have svt or not but for me ,i want to live a normal life.I want to be able to do things that other normal people are doing(like exercising).Thats why most of us try to cure it (abilation).I dont want something reminding me always that i am unhealthy,weak and unfit.To get over that felling of weakness i exercise.I want to reassure myself that i am strong.
    • Posted

You sir are extremely misinformed and should consider further educating yourself on this condition
    • Posted

Hi Grant,

I know this has been some time since you posted. I was recently diagnosed with SVT, I work out at the gym, elliptical, free weights, straps, love it all. I am 53 and decided not to do the ablation n or take the beta blockers, I am  now considering the beta blockers but I am afraid of the side effects. Did you experience any side effects takin the beta blockers? Thank you!

• Posted

Hi RIta, I know you are questioning Grant but I just thought I'd mention that I have been on beta blockers for two years now and I don't really have any side effects.  I exercise a lot too.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I would discuss running with you doctor...my doctor always said my heart was healthy and that the abt had nothing to do with the health if my heart. I'm not a runner but I do chase after my puppy and children with no issues.

I'm 45 and had my ablation about 12 years ago here in Canada. Thankfully mine worked so I've been symptom free. Staying healthy is a good thing...talk to your doctor I'm sure it will be fine...I'm cheering you on from Canada!!! Take care!

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

Thank you for your reply!! It's nice to hear some positive stories and I am so glad the ablation worked for you. I am definitely a believer in keeping healthy - I will talk to my doctor! All the best for the future and keep chasing your children and puppy around smile

• Posted

Hi Amy, I have had SVT for several years. I am 36 and otherwise very healthy. I visit the gym, swim, attend fitness classes and take long brisk walks. I have never got my SVT whilst exercising. I don't bend forward whilst exercising as I know this can be a trigger. My SVT usually occurs when I am asleep in bed!! I am not on medication, my heart is otherwise healthy so don't feel it is right to take medication all the time, when sometimes it can be several months between episodes. If it was to increase I would definately consider the ablation. My twin sister also had SVT for many years, long before I started and she had the ablation ten years ago, it was a great success.
    • Posted

When your SVT occurs while asleep, does it wake you up? I'm worried about an episode happening to my daughter in her sleep.

• Posted

Mine wakes me all the time.  Nothing like waking up with that 'off' feeling in your chest, a little sweat on your brow and heart doing 190.  At least 4 times a month at night.  10 times a month in the daytime.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.