Non invasive bunion surgery anyone?

Posted , 7 users are following.

After many years of worrying whether surgery was the right option for me I have just a double osteotomy on my left foot using non invasive (key hole) surgery.

My decision was helped by being able to talk things through with my surgeon in advance for more than just a few minutes. (I paid for this privately but it was well worth it). Having decided that I was going to proceed I was able to join the same surgeon's NHS list.

My operation took place on 7/2/09 and I was told from the outset that I would have a 6 week recovery period - the first 4 weeks of which I would not be able to put any weight on the foot at all, followed by 2 weeks in a surgical boot where I could take some weight on my heel. The reason for the 4 weeks was that the degree of correction needed meant that the break in the bone had to be further up my foot.

Apart from being a bit woozy from the anaesthetic I felt fine and left hospital the same day. I had no pain but left with a pain relief patch on my arm which I removed 3 days later. I can honestly say I have had no real pain at all (although I know that getting back walking might be different!)

I have just been for my 2 week check up and I cannot believe how good my foot looks. There is practically no swelling and rather than a wound with stitches I just have three small holes which are already healing.

I have been told that I must not be tempted to take any weight on the foot until I have had a further x ray taken at the 6 week stage. My surgeon says that I might think my foot was strong enough as I didn't feel any pain but the bones could move and all the good work be undone - so I am being very careful!

I have taken pictures at each stage and will post these at further updates.

It's true what everyone says - the recovery (and being on crutches ) is the worst part but for me that's because of boredom rather than any discomfort! Still my cat is very happy that she has a lap to sit on most of the time!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was really interested to read of your keyhole surgery. I had not heard of this proceddure before. Sounds like the pain factor is much less that others that I have been reading about!

I am having a bilateral Scarf Osteotomy tomorrow and am feeling a bit apprehensive to say the least. It was nice to read your positive comments.

I do wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I had a double osteotomy on both feet three weeks ago. Despite years of discomfort I waited until my daughter started secondary school and so could go to school on her own. I have been pretty immobile since the op and dont imagine I will back at work for another three or four weeks.

I had very little pain and was delighted when I saw my new feet last week when I had the bandages changed. I am even getting used to the boredom of having to lie on the sofa all day. I am so glad I have had it done, but you really do have to choose the right time and completely give in to it.

Good Luck

Jules

• Posted

Hi Debby - I am just doing some research on MIS bunion surgery. May I ask where you ahd yours done?
    • Posted

It was done at the Sussex Orthopaedic Centre at the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath by David Redfern.
  • Posted

Thank you SO much Debby. Really appreciate your help!
  • Posted

Thank you SO much Debby. Really appreciate your help!
  • Posted

Hi Debby - how are they now? All healed and back to normal? I am on day 5 after keyhole on both feet. Still cant see what they look like and do panic a little at whats under the bandages! Am told it went well though so fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hi Nathsa - I am now a few years down the line since my first operation. I have to say that my foot looks much better and you cannot see any scars. My only problem has been with the adjustments made to my other toes which have required additional surgery as it is more difficult to get these aligned perfectly I am told. The enlarged joint of my big toe healed perfectly and gives me no trouble at all. Hope you are recovering well - just remember that they will be swollen for quite a while.
  • Posted

Hi Debby

Great to hear about your experiences as I don't think there are many comments on here that relate to the MIS.

I am waiting on an appointment with a surgeon to discuss my options but am hoping to go for the minimally invasive surgery as I am a freelance photographer so the recovery time is a major issue for me. I was wondering did you live locally to the Princess Royal Hospital? I live in London and would really like to have Mr Redfern do my surgery, but on the NHS, I'm wondering if I can ask to be referd to him. 

Also, how long would you say it was before you could walk about for an hour or so, and how long before you could walk about for a full day?

Thanks in advance!

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I do live locally to the Princess Royal Hospital but lived in Brighton when I originally saw David Redfern. The NHS seems to be offering far more choice these days but I don't know whether you can have a procedure done outside your own funding area.

My op required a break half way up my foot in order to correct the alignment of my big toe and I suspect that most people wouldn't require this and as a consequence would have much quicker recovery times than me. It took a few months before I could walk for an hour comfortably and from there it got better every day athough the swelling didn't go down completely for nearly a year (not a major problem though). Even with the more the more severe degree of operation that I had I went on a strenuous walking holiday to Scotland without any problems 8 months later. If you are strict with your recovery regime and then ensure that you rest your foot as much as you can once you start working again I am sure you will be fine but your consultant will advise you. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Thanks so much for your reply. It's great to hear positive experiences. Takes a bit of encouragement to ask someone to break your bones on purpose! Our holidays are always focused around walking too so that is great to hear you're able to be back to normal after a while. Best wishes Helen

• Posted

Hi everyone - well I took the plunge & had my bilateral MICA surgery on Dec 8th. Really happy so far. I know it's early days but no pain & I am able to move around my apartment. ( only 10 mins in every hour) 
  • Posted

Hello Debbie

How did you manage to get the non invasive intervention on the NHS?

Thank you

Vanessa

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

This was the choice of the surgeon who did the procedure. He is one of the leading foot surgeons and he does both types of surgery but is particularly known for the non invasive approach. When I had my second, much smaller toe operation he opted to do open surgery. Both of these procedures were conducted under general anaesthetic. When I had my third and final minor toe op this was done by another surgeon, again by open surgery but he preferred to use a local anaesthetic (which I found perfectly ok). Long story short - it was my surgeon's choice rather than mine. I recommend that you speak to your consultant about the options available as there might be a good reason why non invasive surgery may or may not be the best option.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.