LONG TERM EFFECTS

Posted , 4 users are following.

MY SON HAD KAWASAKI IN 2004 BUT GOT THE ALL CLEAR ,BUT SINCE THEN HE HAS BEEN ILL A LOT WITH COLDS FLUES AND NEVER HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY SINCE HE HAD IT, IS THERE SOME THING WE DONT NO ABOUT THIS DISEASE

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My son had Kawasaki @ 8mths old, treated in hospital. He is now 6.5yrs and we are still having issues with constant colds and flus, lack of energy, sore joints and muscles etc. I have met another KD mum who describes the same story... it can't be a coincidence!!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with KD at the age of 4. (c1982) I had old style \"open heart surgery\" coronary bypass at Yorkhill Children's Hospistal approx 11yrs old (c1989) I am now nearing 31 years old.

Occasional muscle and joint pains and the like are suffered - but probably no more than any of my equally stressed office colleagues.

Regular light exercise will help to build heart rate, breathing, energy and endurance. The “Cotton Wool Kid” treatment was never going to work with me. I joined in everything that all the other kids were doing. I just made sure to sit down for 5mins and settle myself if I was feeling out of breath.

Years of Martial Arts, Football and Basketball among others kept me fit and active growing up and regular cardiology appointments kept my heart checked up. Now trying to get back into sport - I am finding it as difficult as anyone else would after nearly a decade away – but barring doctor’s letter requests stating I am fit to exercise, no other additional obstacles prevented me from joining a gym and regaining my fitness.

• Posted

My son was also treated for Kawaskai in Nov08 when he was under 5, he too does not appear to have the same level of energy i am sure we don't know enough about this condition to be able to plan long term . I would welcome any comments from adults who had this when they were young.
  • Posted

my son has K D he is on high dose of asprin which is 75ml, he is only 4yrs at the moment but he was 4 mnths old when i was told he had K D but i'm having problems with him. He is suffering with sore legs, cramp and muscler pains in both of them and he is still in nappies in the night and some times in the day when we go out, he sometimes has to be in a pram as he cant walk very far but my GP keeps telling me that its not the KD but i know that it is. If any one has the same problems please let me know
  • Posted

my son had kawasaki two years ago ..he had treatment in hospital for 5days i got home and he became unwell again and was readmitted the following day with the same he had another dose of the same treatment and got out 4 days later. he had folow up check ups and scans but like many of the other children i have read about on here he has often been unwell, he is unwell again now i have an appointment with the doctors later today. my son also seems to sweat very excessively after physical excercise he is 5 yrs old do any other parents notice this with there children?
  • Posted

Paul,

I have been wondering this myself. My son has been aneamic, lethargic, sweats more and various other things that he didn't have before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.