Omeprazole Side Effects? Light headed? Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 115 users are following.

My Mother was experiencing severe pain across her ribs and back which the doctors say is indigestion but only now and again. She was put on Omeprazole about a month ago and after taking one in the morning she starts to feel light headed, dizzy and generally unwell. She then seems to panic about it and feels she cant breathe which makes her panic more. Her chest and heart are perfectly fine. She stopped taking the tablets yesterday in case they are causing these problems and she is having tests done next week to check for ulcers etc. Has anyone else had these problems? How long do the side effects take to go away when you have stopped taking them?

4 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on omeprazole for 2 years now, started taking them when i was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. abt 3 months after starting taking the medicine i started experiencing similar anxiety attacks which I still experience. never thought that could be due to that medicine and the attacks dont come every day, just sometimes.. i thought it mustve been merely a psychological thing, but as I am on omeprazole and experience similar things as well as ur mom, then who knows, maybe it is the cause of the attacks and dizziness!

Best of health for ur mom!

• Posted

My mum was recenty prescribed Omeprazole and has experienced very similar problems she has been admitted to hospital because she was having trouble breathing she has had pains in her chest ECG normal x rays normal also she had some confusion she also crashed her car into the garage but cant remember what happended. Stopped taking the Omeprazole on Sunday 12/4/09 and is feeling much better no chest pains or difficulty breathing and certainly not confused. Hope this helps you
  • Posted

I have been suffering with my stomach for a few weeks now but as yet have not been given a diagnosis. My whole upper body part feels very heavy, I and I burp all the time. I do not suffer from acid indigestion. When I have eaten, the food seems to have problems getting into my stomach and it is painful until it has all been digested. After taking the first capsule, I hyperventilated and my heart raced. It took me a long time to calm down. It is reassuring to find that I am not alone. I will advise my doctor accordingly.
  • Posted

Took first omeprazole this morning, within 10 minutes had the dizziness, lightheaded, nausea, and headache. *touch wood* not had the anxiety attacks yet! hopefully i wont, but it appears to be the nausea lightheadedness and headaches are common! :roll:
    • Posted

I also had this happen to me last night did not sleep very well either between my stomach and head hurting and dizzy head i won't take it again did you? If not did the side effects stop

• Posted

It's a horrible medicine beyond what I didn't think it would cause - more than heartburn symptoms itself!

• Posted

Been having the dizziness to the point of passing out, nausea, anxiety attacks, chest pains and tremours for up to 3 hours a day every day for almost a year, its got to the point that im to scared to go anywhere alone. After seemingly getting nowhere with the Dr and numerous scans i discovered this forum. Last took 1 20mg omeprazole on thursday and can feel improvements already.
    • Posted

How long did it take for your symptoms to go away. It's been 7 days for me and it's getting better but symptoms are still here. Numbness/tingling headaches abs brief anxiety attacks, but way better than it was.

TJ

• Posted

How long did you take them because I have had one and I have had pretty bad side effects within about an hour after taking. 
    • Posted

Take magnesium glycinate start with 200mg, up to 800mg a day.  it will rid you of the anxiety with a quickness. I also recommend a zinc supplement. All my symptoms have subsided with the exception of the tinnitus. Once you have that I hear you have it for life. Lucky me.
    • Posted

If you have been prescribed them, you need to take in the morning an hour before food.
    • Posted

wow i thought i was going crazy was about to get seen by a neurologist. i started omeprazole cple weeks ago and started feeling lightheaded dizzy confused often. numbness and tingling all over pain in my arms even more digestive problems then i was having. i went to the e.r 2 times they couldnt find anything wrong with me then tonight i woke up feeling horrible like i was about to die so i went to the e.r told them that it started happening after taking my omeprazole...thy said omeprazole wouldnt cause those symptoms. they did some blood test and my potassium levels were low. thy gave me a potassium pill and sent me home an hr later im feeling so much better. i decided to look up if low potassium can b related to omeprazole and found that it does cause that and can be very dangerous. so im done taking it i am gonna watch the movie forks over knives and try the diet they suggest.

• Posted

I had tinnitus for about five years. It went away on its own. I hope the same happens for you.
    • Posted

I had tinnitus too after a dose of steroids, I believe. It lasted about 3 months and then the 'noise' started to reduce. I still have it but it's less severe/loud than it was and I think it will eventually go away completely.

• Posted

hey Tj, did yiur symptoms ever go away? im about 10 days off this medication and im having similiar symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.