Anyone else get a weird taste with Alendronate?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have been taking Alendronate for about eight weeks now. I also have to take Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. I have noticed that I get bouts of extreme tiredness, almost like having flu but everything tastes really salty. This sounds so mad! I had to throw my cup of tea away this morning because it tasted like sea water. Also, I can sleep for England, but that is nothing new with me. regards JulieMarie

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand, why are you taking this horrible drug? If you were on the right level of thyroxine you would not need it. Your doctor may be telling you that you are at risk of osteoporosis but your risk is much, much greater if you are under-medicated.
  • Posted

I too take thyroxine and alendrnoic acd.Like JulieMarie I find a perpetual salty taste in my mouth.It is most noticeable in the morning and less so towards evening.I don't enjoy my meals and already salty foods become inedible.I feel very tired but this could be due to other factors but sleep very badly.
  • Posted

Hello JulieMarie,  I have been using Alendronate for about four months now and have had only relatively minor side effects. However one of the ladies at the gym that I attend on a regular basis has lost all the sense of taste associated with the olfactory system and now only has the basic four tastes left. She is also on AA and has been for a couple of years and can only taste Salt, Sour, Sweet and Bitter. Her doctor has said that her only answer is to come off the drug but that because of the long half-life, she may never get back her normal sense of taste (She is currently 80 years old). This drug seems to causing alsorts of unexpected life changes to a very large number of patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.