Scared to start Pizotifen

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been prescribed Pizotifen for migranes. Having read all these comments I am scared to take it now and I don't know what to do.

I cant stand these headaches everyday.

Any good news out there about this drug?

On the patient leaflet it saids that it can cause breathing problems and I have asthma so thats also added to my anxiety.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

Any advice??????

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I recently finished a 4 week course of Pizotifen. Although I did find it a real struggle I would say that it is worth trying. I had a pretty rough time with the pills, but it was only 4 weeks, I've been suffering with migraines for over 10 years. If you are working I would suggest telling your employer and possibly taking a few days leave. I found the first few days the hardest and ending up going off work sick because I was falling asleep at my desk.

Just take it steady, they take a while to build up in your system and for your body to adjust. If you notice any breathing problems then stop taking them. You might find you don't have side affects, it seems some people don't. But be prepared to feel tired and possibly a little depressed. But remember it's temporary, you can stop taking them at any time, and it may be worth it if they work for you.

I hope you get on ok.

• Posted

Wow, I've just returned from my doctors appointment with my first lot of Pizotifen! Having read all the posts on here I'm now concerned with what my body's reaction will be.

My migraines have become steadily worse over the last 10 years and I was hoping that a preventative treatment would be a life-saver for me sad

I have a follow-up appointment in 1 month's time

• Posted

Hi,

EllieM and gemini123 how are you both getting on now?

• Posted

Still to frightened to take them so am just suffering daily headaches until i can come up with something else, its so miserable sad
  • Posted

Hi,

If you have been prescribed pizotifen by your doctor and he knows about your asthma, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are really worried either talk to your doctor or a pharmacist.

I would say that the most common side-effect of pizotifen is increased appetite, followed by drowsiness. The rest of the side effects are quite rare. Although the posts on here are quite scary, they are the minority of users.

When I first started taking them, I had migraines about 1 or 2 times a week and severe vertigo for 3 or 4 days prior to a migraine. Initially a had a period of vertigo lasting about 2 weeks but since then have had virtually no episodes. I get about 1 migraine a month now, but they respond much better to painkillers and don't knock me out for days.

I'd recommend giving them a try for at least a month. If you find it makes your asthma worse, stop taking them and go and see your doctor

• Posted

Gemini 123, don't be frightened, I' say just try. Your GP should give you a stepped dose up to the dose you should take, so your body can adjust. I have had to try many drugs, reluctantly over the past 7 years as I can't live my life with the migraines I have so frequently. Pizotifen only caused weight gain for me and I am really sensitive to drugs. You can always stop taking them, they may help and they're unlikely to do anyting really unpleasant!
  • Posted

I've taken 1.5mg Pizotifen at night for two years and whilst it hasn't stopped my migraines I generally only get nausea with them half the time now instead of with every attack.

Side effects:

I have gained a little weight but that may have nothing to do with the drug.

I haven't experienced bad moods/worsened depression with it (I already suffer from depression but no worse since being on pizotifen)

Drowsiness - yes at first it was like taking a sleeping tablet and I was a little groggy the next morning but my body got used to that after a week or two

I haven't experienced any other side effects that I know of.

• Posted

I've taken pizotifen 1.5mg everynight for years and the only side effect I have suffered is weight gain - however I have been to uni during this time too which isn't always forgiving on waist line! I think it's great, I've barely had a migraine since I've been on it and before I was taking it I suffered with really bad cluster headaches.
  • Posted

[ my son takes pitzotifen and he has asthma it hasn't affected his breathing but it is a must to prevent his abdominal migraines as he gets them quite bad, i say take the pitzotifen, they do make my son sleepy and irritable, but i would rather have that than the vomiting etc, they do help the ab migraine and seem to keep them at bay, although he doesn't always remember to take them, but my advice to you is take them!
  • Posted

I've just seen your comments and I would like to know how you got on. I've been suffering from cluster headaches and horrible migraines (i'm now taking Imigran for) since the age of six (i'm 37 now) i've seen more doctors than had hot dinners & gone through lots of tests, it got to a point I didn't bother with doctors at all cause as I was a single parent they automatically put it down to stress, I was practically living on pain killers for years, then about four months ago the headaches & migraines hit with a vengence, for two solid weeks it was pure agony & it got unbearable, I was off work & completely miserable, I called my doctor & told him how bad it was & that something needs to be done or I'll end up overdoseing on painkillers & I was prescribed Pizotifen & I haven't looked back since, the reason why i'm droning on is because feeling tired & seeing dots for a few days is NOTHING compaired to what i've endured for years, I understood the reason why I was feeling tired & I had no problem dealing with my impaired vision (very short term) cause I have worse vision with migraines. I didn't read up on Pizotifen at all & i'm glad I didn't. I am so so so happy now, my life has dramatically changed, i'm not afraid to do anything now, I still have the odd headache but that suits me fine. Coleen, N.Ireland.
  • Posted

i have suffered from cluster headaches for 13 years.i didnt know what it was at first i thought it was facial neuralgia.Ihad a brain scan 4 years ago and the diagnosis was c/h.i was prescribed Pizotifen and they really helped me. i have been on them now for a couple of years and they say you gain weight with them,they do give u an appetite but i drink water instead of eating eccess food.they have reall helped me with cluster head aches.my cycle of c/h normally lasts 20 weeks and can be really daunting ,i can have a break then of 12 to 18 months and then there back. i strongly recamend Pizotefen to any one suffering from c/h.don't be scared like i was at first of side effectsthey r minimal and after aweek you feel ok its just the tiredness that is the side affect .good luck to any ppl out there who need them they r really good x
  • Posted

Sorry I forgot to add that Itake 5x0.5 each day x

• Posted

Hi,

I started Pizotifen 2 days ago, I feel really sleepy but hoping these side effect will go away.  I must say my head feels lighter. thanks for all the comments herein, I hope I don't have to take so many sumitriptan or painkillers going forward!

• Posted

Hi

i have been taking this med for a week and it is causing me breathing problems even though my professor does not seem to acknowledge that PIZOTOFEN is the cause

i have not taken it today so to see how am getting on

for me shortness of breath is an issue and feeling like a zoombie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.