DIVI DINERS

Posted , 82 users are following.

Returning from a hospital session of Drips and Deprevation (food) I was handed a Low Residue diet to follow. Scant in products,and information what to do with said products, I searced the web for more information, 

onlt to find contradictory eat's and don't eats, so I thought that WE the 

sufferers of food deprevation should start our own Divi Diners club and see if we can throw some light on the subject.

Ilove mushrooms,but cannot find any info about them.

How do we achieve our five a day if we can't eat fruit? Is it O.K. to take the

skins off?

Can we have chips or roasties,or fish with batter on?

Spices, do any of you use spices. and what do you put on spaghetti?

Can we blitz veggies, as stews and casseroles are forbidden?

Pastry is allowed, but no mentoin of which type.

So. can we help each other ,then at least when ,or if we ,dine out, we can

order something from the menu.

I cannot eat boiled potatoes ,eggs (is it O.K to have a fried one?)

jelly and rice pudding for ever. .

So please join in and share your doe's and dont's. mushrooms eaters

would be good to hear from.

13 likes, 1185 replies

1185 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Jacqui

What a good idea!

Here's what I have found to be good over the past 12 years or so (together with my dietician).

Pastry fine - all types

Stews and Casseroles - both O.K. (but either omit or limit the onion). My wife thickens the stock and this just makes it so much better to eat.

Chips, roasties (but not huge piles) are O.K.

Fish, with or without batter is O.K. But....

Try fish cooked in a bag in the oven, it's delicious and so digestible.  Wallmark do super fish and a  huge variety at very competitive prices. They will seal in bags with a butter of your choice!

Pears, bananas, tinned passion fruit.  Try making a fruit salad (no need to peel (banana, yes, of course). Make the liqour with brandy (good for digestion)/little water and muscavado sugar.  Eat with Greek natural yoghurt.

Have a teaspoonful of 'set' Manuka Honey (10+) first thing in morning and drink water (tap) during day.

I find 'strong' vegetables (calabrase etc) difficult and 'farty'.  I avoid it.

Blitz veggies but try and avoid onions.

Acidy foods should always be avoided at all costs.

Mushrooms are OK.  My dietician condones their use.

Interesingly, she also tells me to have a couple of digestive or oatmeal biscuits mid-morning with my coffee. I am not a coffee drinker but I do have them with green tea (which is also good for digestion).

If I have Italian, I have loads of Parmesan and shredded Parma ham (taught from living in Italy).

I hope your forum works and I shall be keeping an eye out for good advice from others.

best wishes.  Jon

• Posted

what a relief, someone bothered to reply. Many thanks to you, and obviously your dietician. I'm really happy about the mushrooms shady

area you didn'n say anything about frying ?

I wonder what the no-no is on onions.?

Are curries out, and herbs in general are not to be eaten.

Fortunately my preference on the protein front is fish.

glad to hear about the stews.

Thank you.

Funny you should mention Manuka honey , I do, or rather

did,take it just for it "being good for me" but will start again.

After the humugeous pain I endured with my first flare, I was

quite afraid to eat anything, after reading the Residue diet.

I'm looking forward to breakfast.

Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Jon, just wanted for you to tell me why you avoid greens,do they cause mega problems or pain .or a flare up ? Desperation is setting in. 

Will it be good to cook them until they are soft, or doesn't it alter the   reason for avoiding them

Jacqui

• Posted

Hope you don't mind me asking Jon, but from being a prolific ,and

helpful contributor to this forum, you have literally disappeared 

Ineed to ask if you are well, or just got bored with it.

Concerned Jac

• Posted

Hi I'm first I couldn't remember what you said about mushrooms,

thank goodness you said O.K.  I was told no to Digestive " Bisquits " 

but a nod for Shortbread and god awful Rich Tea

Iv'e just been trawling through our first bits. Can't believe it's only

four months ago..and !!! you called me ------- Jacqui

• Posted

Hey Jon what's the verdict on Pineapples, not for you and your tender tum,

but for us mere mortals?

• Posted

I eat pineapples, but again go for the really ripe and sweet.  If it's not ready, pop it on a sunny windowsill.  Or buy the prepared packs.  In fact, in might be better to get a small preprepared pack and try it rather than potentially wasting a whole pineapple.
    • Posted

I cn feel the drools coming on Prefer to buy Fresh ones 

shopping list----on--- 

why didn't you tell me this before ? 

• Posted

Whoops!  Sorry.  Is it OK to tell you the last fresh one I had was in Spain a couple of months ago?  Still warm from the sun and the stall holder cuts it with a sort of corkscrew thing that leaves the central core and cuts the flesh out in a spiral, which is then put back into the shell.  Does that make sense?  It's lovely.
    • Posted

So,, why are you telling me to buy it in supermarket bags The bits could be  any old manky sweepings up You fogot to put  na, na na na na on the endfrown
    • Posted

No na na, only Nana.

No not supermarket sweepings, the little packs of fruit for lunch boxes and so on.  About £1.99 or something.  You're as bad as hubby about granary bread.  Oooh, those were the days when I could eat that...

• Posted

sxuse me.. I never said a word about granary I am now a Warburtons 

thins chomper ,and------- I bought one of their super thick sliced (green

cover) cut the crusts off and did a toasted  cheese sarnie NO probs. so. just to make sure, I had another one today 

• Posted

Oooh you do get yourself in a muddle!  Sweepings off t'floor are what hubby calls granary bread.

Never tried thins.  Apart from granary, not a huge bread fan.

• Posted

I'm not normally but how else can you make a bacon sarnie Every other

make of bread turns me into a Sumo wrestler Warburtons does not

Iv'e just read your post from 4 months ago ,and you ate everything but 

the wrapping paper, 

• Posted

I'm not normally but how else can you make a bacon sarnie Every other

make of bread turns me into a Sumo wrestler Warburtons does not

Iv'e just read your post from 4 months ago ,and you ate everything but 

the wrapping paper, 

• Posted

Hello, Just come across Divi Diners so don'tknow if you still visit the forum. you have mentioned about onions being off the menu and it seems many do have trouble with them. You may already know this by now but IBS sufferers are often advised to try the low fodmap diet. Onions and garlic are not allowed when doing the elimination diet as they are high fodmap. Doctors are saying the diet may help with DD for some people. Worth looking into. On low fodmap you can use proper garlic infused oil instead of garlic. Available from supermarkets but may sure you get the clear one without garlic at the bottom. Tesco do one. To replace onions in cooking you can use the green part of spring onions or green part of leeks and of course flavour with chives. Much like with DD one you start to reintroduce foods you find you can either eat a food freely as you don't react or not at all or in moderation.

• Posted

Hi ..tad late I know ,but here I am again ,and there are none of the Old sufferers around . Hope you are thriving , I am !!!!

Jacqueline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.