Recurring Shingles

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 45 yr old female with a healthy diet, physically fit & 'on paper' in excellent health. However, I am currently experiencing my 13th bout of shingles in the last 12 months. Initially the bouts were spaced a month or so apart. More recently they have been every 2 weeks. I thought maybe I had reached a plateau when I had a space of 4 weeks but have now had 2 bouts with only 10 days apart.

My GP has been excellent & is as exasperated as I am. Apart from having a full body CT scan I have pretty much had every else tested. I have even had an HIV test so that we can rule that option out as well as testing for any underlying cancers or disorders. As I said 'on paper' I am sickeningly 'normal' & healthy.

I recognise that stress can be a huge factor in enabling the virus to take hold. Certainly, over the last 12 months I have had many outside stresses which were pretty much beyond my control - death, family illness, problems at work. However, in recent months things are getting back on track & in the last 5 weeks I managed to have a relaxing holiday, an easy week at work & 2 weeks at a convalescent spa. I well & truly cleared the decks. Unfortunately I managed to break out in a rash just prior to going to the spa & then again towards the end of the 2nd week.

I have to admit that I then felt very low & wondered what on earth I could do in addition to break the cycle.

I have a friend who is a practitioner nutritionist. She has adviced Lysine to continue over an 18 month period. I have also had 2 periods of a month where I have attempted to boost my immune system with a high dose probiotic & Vit C supplement. I take Manuka '12' honey daily and a 'lemoil' solution which is a high dose (easily absorbed) Omega 3 & 6 oils in a palatable solution. I love fruit & veg. I eat lots of organic fat free natural probiotic yoghurt.

I have probably had about 5 courses of the Acyclovir antibiotics over the time but recognise that it does nothing to prevent the virus. It does however, dry up the rash much more quickly & lessens the neuralgia pain.

I have grown to recognise when I am in for another bout of shingles. For about 7-10 days prior to the rash appearing I will get the neuralgia pain in my lower back. It is mostly bearable but on occasions has stopped me sleeping & sometimes is sharp enough to stop me in my tracks or make me 'jump'. During this time period my mood can become very low & I have no energy or motivation. For someone who is normally a 'bubbly' person at work & gyms/runs regularly I find this aspect the most debilitating. It is hard to pick myself up & start again as the symptons lessen. Usually once the rash appears it is like someone has turned a switch back on & I feel fairly 'normal' again.

Having exhausted my GP's list of tests I arrived home today to find a message from her on my 'phone. I last saw her yesterday & she was going to speak with a consultant colleague for more advice. The next stage is that at the very start of my next rash she needs to take swabs from the blisters & get them sent off for analysis. I will keep you posted.

I try to remain positive & hope that I may experience some 'knock-on' effect from my 'resting' period in the coming months. I do feel lucky in having a sympathetic GP. I think the illness has struck a chord with her as we are of similar age, I am on the face of it, very healthy & she clearly doesn't enjoy being beaten....

I generally get a lot of sympathy from persons who learn of my 'problem. I do feel however, (& maybe it's unfounded) that my usual work colleagues are a bit fed up of it. Other than a week off when I had the first bout I have taken no other sick leave. I am sure however that my work attitude & tolerance has changed. I think as well because my symptons aren't necessarily obvious to them that they may think its all something & nothing. Who can blame them? I get on my own nerves!! It is a very tedious illness.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i read this and it was like reading about myself except for the sympethetic doctor, i have been suffering for nearly 15 years most months. I am 36 and other than that quite healthy, i'm a gym instructor and find the total exhaustion i feel everytime it occurs too much to bear sometimes and it just makes me feel like crying. It certainly didn't do my marriage any favours and am now in the process of getting a divorce but unfortunatly my doctors just don't care. Please let me know how you go on with your tests.
  • Posted

This is sounding like my experience. Again though as the previous comment I have a completely dismissive GP who sent me to the STD clinic (actually that does make me smile, but is also inappropriate and lazy of my GP).

I did eventually go to the std clinic and quite by chance the doctor treating me was an indian doctor who works in dermatology back in India. He took one look and said 'shingles, lets get it sorted' He swabbed it there and then pricking the skin deep, and prescribed 800mg aciclovir 5 x a day. (I'm average weight & build female).

It seems to me the biggest problem here is that there is no speciality that deals with shingles that allows for immediate referral; Ie when the blisters are live and can be swabbed in order to confirm diagnosis. Attitudes must change. Last year NHS where talking about epidemic proportion of chicken pox......Irony......I wonder why?

I will have my results next week; with them I can insist on treatment and other diagnostics to try and get to the bottom of this.

Get that swab.

Good luck

• Posted

I am really glad to hear that some other people have had experienced the same symptoms as myn. my first bout of Shingles was in Sep. 08 and for my bad luck it is still on and off I don't know why?!! I had done some blood tests and they were all good (thankfully).my question for Ceekay what happened with your tests results? are they OK? please if you read my post just provide us with the updates. I am very concerned about this issue.
  • Posted

Hello, i am reading this post, a year later... I hope you are still out there and feeling better...how has your health been ?? I have a suspiscion i wonder if you ever thought about, regardin the immune boosters/supplements. Have had similar situation with my teenager, cant pin it down and doesnt seem related to extreme stress. But wonder if in attempt to cure it we actually are causing a overactive immune system, but taking DefensePlus herbs and then also have found some relation to massage, or things done to help back pain, like heat patches , that may have been start of shingles ache in back.  before it presents.....?? All cases have been on leg in this case.  Anyway, just looking at other possible reasons... ?? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.