Herbs and Homeopathy for Hypertension

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried Herbs and Homeopathy for Hypertension?

Source: Hypertension | University of Maryland Medical Center

Herbs may strengthen and tone the body's systems. As with any therapy, you should work with your health care provider before starting any treatment. You may use herbs as dried extracts (capsules, powders, teas), glycerites (glycerine extracts), or tinctures (alcohol extracts). Unless otherwise indicated, you should make teas with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 - 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 - 20 minutes for roots. Drink 2 - 4 cups per day. You may use tinctures alone or in combination as noted.

Talk to your doctor before taking any herbs to treat hypertension, especially if you already take medication to control blood pressure.

Achillea wilhelmsii, in a tincture, may help lower blood pressure, according to one double-blind study. However, more research is needed. Achillea may interact with blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), and aspirin. It may also interact with lithium and some sedatives.

Hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa) tea helped lower blood pressure according to one study. Pregnant women should not take hibiscus.

Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) may help lower blood pressure, although evidence is weak. You may also take a tincture of this mushroom extract. Reishi can interact with other medications and may increase the risk of bleeding.

Garlic (Allium sativum) may help lower blood pressure slightly, although not all studies agree. Garlic may interact with blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), and aspirin. It can also interact with many other medications.

Homeopathy

Few studies have examined the effectiveness of specific homeopathic remedies. A professional homeopath, however, may recommend one or more of the following treatments for hypertension based on their knowledge and clinical experience. Before prescribing a remedy, homeopaths take into account a person’s constitutional type -- your physical, emotional, and intellectual makeup. An experienced homeopath assesses all of these factors when determining the most appropriate remedy for a particular person.

Argentum nitricum -- for people whose blood pressure increases as they feel anxious or nervous. They may be warm-blooded and subject to claustrophobia and strong carvings for sweets and salty food.

Aurum metallicum -- for people who are serious in demeanor and who concentrate on their career. There is a general tendency to feel worse at the end of the day. They may have a strong desire for alcohol, and feel angry or depressed when they believe they have failed.

Calcarea carbonica -- for people who often feel tired and overwhelmed when sick. They may have clammy hands and feet and often feel chilly. They may crave sweets and eggs, and may be overweight.

Lachesis -- for people who are often talkative and agitated, with a fear of disease. They may be suspicious and jealous, and feel tightness in the chest. They feel worse after sleeping, and may not be able to tolerate clothing around their necks.

Nux vomica -- for people who are impatient, don't like to be delayed, and are ambitious and driven. They may have a strong desire for coffee and other stimulants, and may be sensitive to light.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Not sure about herbs but people I need to tell you this,  the last  two weeks I have been doing 30 mins a day on the excercise bike just on the lowest setting, I do it in 3 ten min stints, The results are amazing on your bp readings it really does bring them down.. If I can do it you can I am not a very fit person at all but am over the moon with the results.. What have you got to lose.. worth a try
    • Posted

But does it stay down?

A good walk brings mine down but it doesn't stay down.

• Posted

I was treated homeopathically for high blood pressure with great success.  Once my pressure was normalized I was able to stop taking the remedy.  My GP takes blood pressure readings every six months so I am assured that my blood pressure has been normalized on a permanent basis.  Homeopathic remedies are also safe so there is no fear of developing side effects as often happens with conventional medications.  

I recommend homeopathy very highly.

• Posted

How long had you had hypertension before trying homeopathy?

Was it a Homeopath or a Doctor who  also used Homeothapy?

I once for another condition went to a GP who also practised Homeopathy to private patients. He gave me a thorough medical examination before going through the Homeopathy questions. The two remedies were very effective.

Some years later the condition returned and I went to a Homeopath without a medical background. She made a few strange statements  showing her lack of medical knowledge but prescribed one of the two remedies that the earlier one had but in a different dosage.

The last practise we went to had a doctor who also practised Homeopathy on the NHS.

As you say Homeopathy will not do you any harm but many herbs will.

• Posted

Hi,What did u use as remedy for choronic hypertension desease and which potencies..??Thanks a lot
  • Posted

I had had high blood pressure for at least 10 years.  The homeopath who treated me for it is not an M.D. but is a clinical psychologist who also trained and was certified in homeopathy.  I've had four homeopaths.  One was also an M.D. and one was a D.O. (doctor or osteopathy).  My current homeopath has training equivalent to M.D. or D.O. They have all been very, very helpful.
  • Posted

Hi Derek

I have been trying a few natural treatments, Hawthorne, St John's wort and hibiscus tea and I have noticed quite a difference with the hibiscus tea, I make a pot each morning and drink it throughout the day, my bp has dropped quite a bit, my latest reasons are around 118/70 - 125/85 my normal on medication is usually 135/85- 145/95

• Posted

There is always a warning about taking St John's Wort with prescrbed medications.

• Posted

most of the precautions are for medications for depression as St. John's Wort is a natural anti depressant so you would be doubling up on your medication if taking both, everything comes with precautions including "every" HPB medication plus tons of side effects. Sometimes you have try things and monitor yourself closely, as it turns out I didn't get a huge change on St. John's anyway and have just continued with the Hibiscus tea.

• Posted

It affects any drug that is broken down by the liver, The Pill, PPis, blood thinning drugs... the list is endless.
    • Posted

It is quite simple to do the research and see what medicines you should not take with each herbal treatment that you wish to try. You only have to look at a magazine to see the full color ad of a smiling couple in their 30's happily on their medication, but just look at the next 2 pages of all the precautions and sideeffects of that medication! While I certainly believe medicines are a usefull and sometimes extremely neccessary part of treatment, I think we have to look at the alternative too! I have tried many many different herbal remedies and while some of them may not have worked for me, I never suffered any serious side effect from them, wish I could say the same about the 10 different types of HBP medicine that I have tried under a Doctor's care.

I think we sometimes have to do our own research and not rely completely on the medical world.

• Posted

I use some homeopathic remedies for everyday complaints but have not found any to treat chronic coditions. Herbal ones are not of a standard strength and vary greatly at different times of year. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.