Kidney infection 04/01/14 then ongoing back, groin,rib pain and bloating

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have a horseshoe kidney which was discovered about 20 years ago. I have never had any kidney problems until 04/01/14 when I had a kidney and urine infection. I was given 2 week course of antibiotics by a nurse practitioner but next day I had a big red blotch on my arm. I phoned the doctor and he said I only had a UTI and was only going to give me a 3 day course. I told him that I had a 2 week course so he gave me a weeks course. This cleared up the urine infection but I still had pain in my kidney area to the right and pain going down my groin and under my ribs. Went back and saw another doctor he thought it was my gall bladder so requested an ultra sound scan. A week later I had an excruciating pain in my left side and phoned the same doctor. He couldn't understand why I had pain on the left side and said he'd rush though scan. 

The day before the scan I woke up vomiting (nothing) although I hadn't eaten for4weeks due to the infection and not feeling well and had a temperature of 38.9°. I had to call the doctor out and I was admitted to hospital. It turned out I still had an infection after 6 weeks and it was Ecoli. I was in hospital for 2 days and had iv antibiotics and fluids. They gave me 2 week course of antibiotics. Days after they were finished the pain was back. The scan was clear which was good.  Went back  to the doctor and he was adamant it's not kidney stones and sent me away with more antibiotics. Back again when they were finished and saw another doctor who suggested kidney stones and I told her that other doctor said no. She said she'd send me for an xray to rule it out. Just before xray saw original doctor as had then developed bloating with ongoing abdominal and rib pain.  He said all women get bloating. Examined my belly and even with me flinching said it was all normal.he pressed on my ribs and I screamed and was reduced to tears.  He said he'd refer me for a ct scan or mri.  That was on 24/04/14. I went to see a urologist on 16/05/14 and she was shocked by my bloating as I couldn't fasten my trousers. She examined me and when she pressed on the left groin I screamed again and was reduced to teard. I said that the doctor had referred me 3 weeks ago for a ct scan and she looked puzzled. She phoned up ct dept and no referral had been received. She said she would order one.  Got ct scan on 3rd may after a mix up with the request again n. Waiting for the results.  My mind is in overdrive. Is it my kidneys, kidney stones or could it be ovarian cancer. Still get pain everyday.  I was also told I had iron deficiency but not anaemic. I am on iron tablets for 3 months.  I work full time with special needs children and am exhausted all the time. I am 50 years old.

Any suggestions please. 

Susy

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry I can't offer you a medical opinion, though it does sound like you have had a really bad time and passed from pillar to post.  Like most ladies on here symptoms of ovarian problems are bloating, lower pack pain, groin pain and hip pain - although everyone is different.  If you had your scan on 3rd may and still no results, that woudl suggest nothing sinister but having said that your healthcare professionals don't have a great track record.  They must have looked at your scan by now.  Ring up and insist somebody reports back, that is ridiculous.  let us know how you go.
    • Posted

Phoned the consultant on Friday and spoke to the secretary. She said they were just dealing with results and said she would phone me on Monday to let me know and if I need a follow up appointment. Hope they have seen something as the pain must be caused by something. 
    • Posted

Just noticed I said scan was 3rd May should say June.
  • Posted

Oh, 3rd June - we can let them off then!!  Let us know what they say today.  I have just come back from my MRI scan myself so very worried about results.  They said consultant should come back in two weeks I guess that's only if there is nothing really wrong.  I am kind of hoping I don't hear for two weeks as if I hear sooner that will scare me to death.  Best of luck with yours and please let us know how you get on, hopefully you should get the answers thi time round xx
  • Posted

Hello,

I know this string is a year old, however I have similar symptoms and am facing the same brick wall with doctors.

I'd love to know what was found in the mri as I'm struggling to get one done for lack of funds.

• Posted

Susydan- three years ago you posted here, my issues (i am 35 years old) almost mirror yours completely (except that I only found out about my kidney in April) ... and I am currently going through a complete rig-a-ma-role with the medical system to figure out what's going on - 

As I write this, I'm in so much pain from my side too. I hope you had gotten answers, I hope you can share them.

all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.