Acid Reflux , Lump in Throat

Posted , 38 users are following.

I have been treated for heartburn the last few months and was given lansoprazole 30mg 1 a day.

I am still having acid coming up and have a sore tongue most days burning of the lips and roof of the mouh.

I have discomfort/ burning in the sternum and below the sternum and feel nauseus on and off during the day.

I went back to the doctors yesterday and told him that certain foods are now feeling like they get stuck in my throat and it feels like I have something stuck in my throat all the time. When I swallow I am swallowing something down all the time.

He has referred me to have an endoscopy but am so worried as my gran died from stomach cancer.

Has anyone had acid reflux and these sypmtoms and given some medicine to help them as the lansoprazole doesn't seem to help the acid.

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Anita,

Please do try to stay calm about this.  I know it is difficult in the extreme.  Anxiety can play havoc as well with your digestive systems.  Try some Gaviscon Advance for the moucus.  It helped me enormously when I had a bout of it.  A matter of days and it was gone.  I can't help you with the swallowing issue or the sertnum pain.  The endoscopy will tell that tale.  If they had reason to suspect you for cancer - and I'm not saying that they do - but IF THEY DID - and your family history may put you in that category - you will get an endoscopy within two weeks rather than the boundary of 18 weeks which the rest of us have to wait for.  All best wishes at this difficult time, Anita.  

• Posted

I want to share my Story with you , I like you was treated for heartburn Etc for months, 4 months to be exact, I started with some discomfort in the throat, the it went to burning in the roof of my mouth the back of my tongue etc, UNBEARABLE pain. In those 4 months I went to DR after DR 13 doctors to be exact , they all treated me for Acid Reflux. One night it got so bad it felt like the lump in my throat was going to close up my throat. I Went to ER and again he kinda was blowing it off as Acid reflux because all my blood work etc came back good , My throat was not red by just opening up and saying Ahhhh..... Then a second DR came in because i was giving such a fuss Crying etc.... He said What exactly is going On i flat out told him SOMETHING is in my throat . Everyone is saying there isnt but THERE IS! he said show me where it hurts exactly I told him all the places it hurt But the bottom of my throat is where the worst pain was . He said lets do another catscan( To shut me up)  I had one 4 months prior. He came back in and said YOU DO HAVE something in your throat you have a MASS. I Said THANK GOD he said No that isnt good I said , Yes it is you found it I already knew it was there. The ENT came in and was going to do a biopsy of the "mass" Which ended up actually being a Abscess that had Gotten so big from being undetected. They said The Ct scan i had 4 months prior had shown it as well it just was smaller. I wrote you to say Sometimes we can be treated for things that is not really wrong with us. My body had adapted to the infection and was not showing signs of infection which in fact was a HUGE Abscess that took 15 needles to drain out. And I am fine today. Hold your head up and try to tell yourself stay calm to it gets resolved. I wish you the best DONT GIVE UP on the right DR
    • Posted

Hello Brandy,

I have been also diagnosed with acid reflux, and have been given different meds. to treat it, the main issue I have now is that I have the same feeling of something in my throat. I have had an mri/ct scan, and there is nothing there. My question to you is did you feel it there all the time, when you eat, etc.. because I feel it there when I pass saliva but do not feel it there when  i am eating, sometimes I have on/off pain, other days the pain is there all day. Please give me any info. that might help.

Thank you, George

• Posted

Hi Anita

i had the burning and discomfort in my sternum for weeks. It used to come and go but when i had it, it stayed for ages. I missed work often and felt so sick with it. I saw my doctor lots and ended up in A & E because i was so worried and my doctor didn't know what it was. Now i no longer have the sternum pain but have silent reflux which i am controlling but i assume it turned into this. I really think this is what u have too and it can be sorted out. You need to raise the head of your bed to start with and change your diet. You wont feel better overnight, it takes time but there is a lot of good advice in this forum so read it all through and research acid reflux diet on the net.

Take care

• Posted

I have the same feeling in my throat. I also take 60 mg of omeprazole. if i kinda rub my finger over my lower throat it feels sore. It feels like I'm swollowing a rock every time I swollow I am scared as well. 
  • Posted

Hi.

I too am having acid reflux problems. It started with bad heartburn but that is now under control with the help of omeprazole. However, I am also getting the lump in the throat feeling with a white coating on my tongue. I am unable to eat because of this and am having mainly liquids. Im trying some meal replacement shakes this week for some energy! I have been to my dr who has eventually referred me for an endoscopy. Are you any better now and is there anything you can recommend that helps? Thanks.

• Posted

Hi, Sorry to hear you are having problems. I took lansoprazole for 11 months but was having such bad wind trapped in my stomach everyday that I slowly weaned myself off them. I am not an anything at the moment and have to watch what I eat and drink. I still have the feeling of the lump in the throat a lot but the nausea and heartburn isn't as bad as it was and can now go days without it.

I did have an endoscopy and they found several polyps but nothing else. I go back to see my consultant next week so will be asking him what he wants to do next as I want them either removed or to be monitored.

Reflux can make you feel tired as can the tablets.  Hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Hi Anita,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Did you find that Lansoprazole helped you at first.  I wasn't sure to start trying that instead incase it might work better than Omeprzole, although they both might be quite simlar in what they do.  I am back in with my dr on Friday so will see what he suggests.  I am not looking forward to having and endoscopy done but would like peace of mind and to try and get to the bottom of this.  I am missing eating solid food.  Are you able to eat ok with your lump in the throat feeling, has it got any better or worse for you over time and do you know of anything that we can do to help it?  I know it can take time to get these kind of things under control but it is so frustrating and changes your quality of life!  Thanks for your help. 

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

It took quite a few months of taking the tablets before I began to feel bettter. I also was keen to stop taking them as I read they can give you stomach polyps so don't know if my taking them caused mine.

Don't worry about your endoscopy it's fine. This was the only medical procedure I have a real fear about so was really scared. I had sedation and gagged only a few times but you are so sleepy that it doesn't bother you that you are gagging it's like you are dreaming it. After that I can't remember a thing. I had a colonoscopy the day before Xmas Eve and an endoscopy is a piece of cake compared to that.

I can eat ok with the lump feeling it's just feels like I have to swallow a lot and it never clears. I am still finding out foods to avoid. I had a horlix milk drink last night and nausea kicked in not long after so won't have that again.

I can't drink red wine, but seem ok on rose wine but only have it every now and again.  I am so much better than I was a few months ago and can live with it as it is but if it got as bad as when I first started with it I would probably take tablets for it again.

• Posted

Hello there Anita are you still on this forum. Very bad GERD and would love some reassurance!! Julia
  • Posted

Hi Anita,

Thanks again for getting back to me.  I know it can take time, its just the not eating that is getting to me a bit now and its my birthday on Friday so I will be gutted to not be able to have any cake and a glass of wine ha, ha!  I haven't even tried alcohol yet as I heard it can make it all worse, until I am bit better anyway.  I started having these problems at the end of November when I had taken some un-coated steriods that upset my stomach and started with bad heartburn after then and this caused the lump in the throat feeling too which is such a pain!  Do you know what actually causes the lump feeling, is it becuase the acid comes back up into your throat?

I have had a colonoscopy a few times with sedation so that has made me feel better about it thank you. I will definitley being having sedation with this one too!

I guess most of it is trial and error with food.  I think that if I could sort this lump in my throat feeling out I would be able to eat better and that would make me feel better.  I have had a slimfast shake today which has really filled me up so that is good I have also tried one boiled sweet just to taste something nice and will see how i get on.  I wish now that I had never has those tablets because they have caused all of this. 

What started your problems off?

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

It was either due to stress at that time or I have since found out that women of a certain age get this so it could be a combimation of those two. I am trying to get back on track again with the diet after all the xmas food but as there are still chocolates from Xmas I am finding it hard to do.

I wasn't asleep when I had the colonoscopy done with the sedation and wasn't the same stuff that they gave me for the endoscopy which sent me to sleep.

I have to have a colonscopy every five years now as they found and removed polyps so am not looking forward to that in any hurry but  to keep healthy you sometimes have to have things done which aren't pleasant.

Try chewing gum when the acid is bad that helps me. I hope you get it sorted ok.

• Posted

Hi Anita,

I think mine was the tablets which I regret now that I took, but I was ill at the time so you just take whatn is given you to make you better.  I am nearly 36 so I don't think it would be anything else.

At least you have been able to have treats over Xmas time.  I haven't touched any chocolates as I don't want anything to make it worse.  I have lost weight through this though so that it the only good thing that has come out of it, as I was overweight and they say if you are overweight that doesn't help acid reflux either!

I too have to have a colonoscopy every five years due to having cancer of the bowel in the family, as you say its not nice but I would rather be checked and kept and eye on than anything horrid happening!

I will try the chewing gum, thank you.

Are you staying on this forum, if you are am I ok to keep in touch with you with any further queries or help or updates as I would like to know you are getting on.  Hope that it all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Yes I will follow threads each day. My mum died of bowel cancer and was lucky to have a one off colonoscopy still battling to see if I can get the genetic testing for it or not. I keep being asked the same questions and not getting any nearer to getting it doen.

Don't chew the gum for hours as it helps make acid. I just chew it for half an hour then threw it away but it helps me.

• Posted

Hi Anita

Thats great thanks as Id like to keep in touch if thats ok

My mum also had bowel cancer and my mums brother had it 6 months before her so its definitely generic in our family, thats why I have colonoscopys done every three to five years. My uncle lost his battle and my mum did well at the time and went into remission for it. However, she got lung cancer a few years later which she lost her battle to five years ago.

Thank you, I will get some none-mint chewing gum and try it. The boiled sweet was ok and nice to taste something sweet for a change ha ha!

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

My died at the age of 52 with bowel cancer which they are saying she is a one off as my grandad was 82 when he had it. It was my stomach consultant that was concerned that I hadn't had any tests to see if I was ok and he referred me to a colon consultant. He said I could have a colonoscopy done to see if I was ok. Luckily for me that I was referred as I had polyps.

I cant understand their reasoning behind genetic testing as it would be cost effective to test me. If I have it there is a big chance my children will have it. 

I go next Wednesday to see the Stomach consultant so will have to see if he wants to do anything else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.