coming off mirtazapine 15 mg

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi I am wanting advise on the best way to come off of mirtazapine 15mg. I have been on them for 6-8 months and i have been worse on them that before I started taking them. I know all about the withdrawal etc I just want advise on weather to lower the dosage or go cold turkey. I am prepared for the worst but determined to beat them. I have 3 children and I am so tired and never want to do anything I need to get off these things 

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

have you spoken to your doctor as they are the best person to advise you

i had a lot of side effects on the 15mg but have changed to 30mg and so far this seems to be better for me

• Posted

Yes they seam to think I should stay on them but I really want to come off them as I'm so tired all day and lack energy constantly. I have put on so much weight from them and that's making me feel worse  
  • Posted

Hi Liz, another one of us who wants to come off mirtz! I've been on mirtz for 7 weeks and I'm coming off then atm because of the way they make me feel, in a word horrible! I was on 30mg then dropped it to 15mg and i've got to take that for one week then lower to 7.5mg for a week and then I'll start another AD. I would advise against going cold turkey especially as you have been on them for quite a while. I would taper off over a few weeks starting with half a 15mg pill so 7.5mg for a week or so then cut the dose down again. I'm no Dr but thats how i would do it.  Good luck! 
    • Posted

Thanks Liam I think I will start with tonight taking half a pull and see how I go from there. I fell that I am worse off staying on them than coming off. I have 3 children and never have the energy or mmotivation to do things with them anymore and as my youngest is 18 months old now I want to go back to work but if I stay on them I have no chance as it's a struggle just to stay awake most days. Hope it goes well for you coming off them :-) Good luck   
    • Posted

Let us know how you get on with the 7.5mg Liz, maybe you should also mention to your Dr you are coming off them and he might try another AD with less sedative affects unless you want to be med free?
  • Posted

You and me both Liz. Yep really want to cone off these, no energy or motivation, quite scared bout coming off as have cycling event in next 2 weeks and want to enjoy, so may wait till then, hopefully having only been on them withdrawal might not be so bab. Think Julie on this forum suggested dissolving them in water, which I guess us a way of tapper, you may be lucky and be ok if stop straight away, but all research I have read
    • Posted

You should try and taper off Mark before the cycle event and if it doesn't work out well for you you still have time to go back up in dose. I've went from 30mg to 15mg and already feel a bit better, still some way to go though but it's deffo made a difference coming down!
    • Posted

Hi Mark   I agree with what Liam has said try a few days with half does and see how you go you can always up your dose again if it doesn't work for you till after the cycle event. I am not sure about dissolving them I was always told not to resolve tablets that are ment to be take whole but maybe these are different. Good luck with what ever you decide to do 
  • Posted

Once I start the process of coming off, I won't go up the dose, will just carry on with the taper. I am quite strong willed! Not sure if I will see any good benefits from going to 7.5 in the ten days b4 my event, ( like more energy) appreciate will see the bad to begin with, not sure. Only sure that I will cone off them
    • Posted

Go for it Mark! I'm toying with the idea of taking 7.5mg tonight to see how I feel tomorrow, not sure yet maybe it's a bit too soon after only being at 15mg for 3 nights. 
  • Posted

One worry for me Liam is that the lower the dose the more sedating the effect, which I don't want with the cycle event coming up, need MORE energy as soooo lacking in it and motivation
    • Posted

I've read that it's supposedly more sedting at lower doses but it was the total opposite for me I found the higher the dose I took the more sedated I felt with zero energy! I don't if it's actually been proven that lower doses are more sedating? Mirtz has a high affinity at the H1 histamine receptor hence the sedation/grogginess, so you'd think the higher the dose the more it would affect this receptor not less?! Confusing... 
  • Posted

Sure is. Decided 7.5 tonight and no going back. At least started the tapering process. Hop Liam and Liz have a good night. Keep us posted how you get on.
  • Posted

Hello there,

I was on 15mg too for around 7 months, it got me through a particularly bad time but it was time to come off, I was groggy all of the time and my emotions were dead. I reduced by half for a week and then a little bit more for another week but do what you feel comfortable with, I had a few headaches and a little chest pain too but I knew why and therefore didnt panic as I knew it wouldnt last. Ive been off for about a month and feel great, my energy is back and I can think clearly again. Im also taking 5HTP which I swear by (it assists your seratonin levels) and is completely natural. I wouldnt go cold turkey personally as you dont know what side effects you may have. Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck smile

• Posted

Did you find you felt better the less Mirtz you took? I'm currently coming off it as well. I also started taking 5-HTP been on it a few days now so maybe a bit too soon to know if it's working yet. 
    • Posted

Hi Kat, deperession seems ok but didn't get to sleep as well last night, felt wide awake for a bit but then I muct have fell asleep and the TV wass still on! Feeling ok and less tired this morning. How you doing?
    • Posted

My depression is still lingering.  I've come down from 45 to 30mg of mirt for a week now. I'm still on ven and olanzapine.  I don't know whether to come down to 15 soon as I only really want to be on 1 anti depressant. I don't know whether I'll be cutting down too quick. My psychatrist said cut to the 30 till I see her in 6 weeks! It seems a hell of a long time feeling as I do. 
    • Posted

I felt better when I cut down from the 30 to 15, you could give it a try and see how you feel? Hard knowing what to do and so frustrating at times isn't it?!
    • Posted

hi there,

can you tell me if you started taking he 5htp while you will still taking the mir, how much do you take does it help with sleep. i have been taking 15 mg for ten weeks for anxiety and sleep, but trhe up set tum has never gone away, so have start to come off it over the last 8 days i took half for the last two nights and my sleep has  been poor and have started feeling anxious again. thanks

• Posted

Hello there,

I started 5 HTP while I was tapering off Mirt so there wasnt a break, I take 1 in the evening and another before I go to bed, I,ll take it for a month and then come off it and see how I am ( as it suggests )...I wake several times in the night but soon go off again so my sleep isnt too much of a problem, my anxiety isnt a worry for me and I feel good. It may help you to also take a Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C along with the HTP as they are also good for anxiety. Keep at it though and Im sure you,ll see an improvement. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi I read that u should not take vitamin b with 5htp

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.