Long term use of Amlodipine

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello

i have been using this drug for many years without problems, but recently I have begun to experience side effects which include swelling hands, ankles and calves.

aching legs and feeling very tired most of the time.

i am going to ask my GP if I can come off of this drug, I am interested in other  forum members experience with this perticular drug.

thanks

3 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Most of the feedback on this forum is very negative about Amlodipine.  It's banned in the Netherlands and other European countries, and is licensed only for vetinary use - google it and see for yourself.

One entry on this news group where reported very serious side effects, including peripheral neuropathy.  Another person was looking for people to join in a Class Action against the manufacturer.

• Posted

YES, IT IS BANNED IN THE NETHERLANDS AND IN SEVERAL OTHER COUNTRIES FOR HUMAN USE. Their medical departments had weighed the negative side-effects vs the benefits, and the negative is definitely more.
    • Posted

Have to say I am alarmed to discover that it is banned in The Netherlands. I am from the UK but live in The Netherlands and  I was given it by my GP over here last year and have not felt right since but he won't change it. Time to find another GP I think.
    • Posted

It isn't actually banned in Holland, Dazzydog1976.  I chased down the regulator there and found out.  It just seems to be a medication that many people react to badly.  I wonder why it isn't |Yellow carded.  But my GP was quite protective about it.  'Not everyone has symptoms,' she said.  But I did and I'm off it now.  Anything that makes your ankles and feet swell prevent your legs acting like the ancilliary pumps they are...
    • Posted

Thanks Louise21984. I must admit I was surprised when I read that it was banned so I asked my wife whose father is a retired GP and he confirmed that it is banned. That said, I feel terrible on them and want to change GP in any case since this one doesn't listen to a word I say - and my Dutch isn't that bad! Thanks once again!
    • Posted

I hope you were able to get your amlodipine switched since your post.  I had to make up additional symptoms to get off of this sad

• Posted

Who told you Amlodipine is 'banned in the Netherlands'? I am currently on Amlodipine blood pressure meds and I live in Amsterdam!

• Posted

Take a look at my post. I had been on it long term, then a period of immobility from a knee cartilage op brought on swelling and side effects from which I have not recovered. A key indicator for me was a deep impression around the sock line
    • Posted

I had a deepening impression around the sock line. It is still there but it seems to be improving. Anything that makes you swell up and retain fluids cannot be beneficial!
    • Posted

Colibri, keep your socks off as much as you can while the fluid goes, also put your legs up if you can at rest.It will go I assure you, I found a slight bit of self massage helpfull to once a day on the ankle area helps somewhat.
    • Posted

How long did it take for swelling to go away around sock line after discontinuing use of Amlodipine?
    • Posted

How long did it take for swelling to go away around sock line after discontinuing use of Amlodipine?
  • Posted

Hi pc plod ... its  rare to have side effects of that kind after so long have you recently been put on a water tablet or a statin. i had youe symptoms from amlodipine but it was soon after taking them. wise to see your GP and see if you can get to the bottom of it.. Hope you get sorted soon. all the best.....len7
  • Posted

Pc Plod,

After so long this sounds like something else has changed regarding your condtion. Clearly you bp needs attention and control in some form but not, IMO, with that awful drug. May I suggest you be persistant  with your gp and they should suggest an alternative.

• Posted

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for your responses.

I am on atenonol and stations, always had slight swelling but nothing compared to now. Its also affecting my hands. Time to go back to the doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.