Low diastolic pressure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I am om Amlodipine and about ayear ago decided to purchase a home monitor as I suffer from anxiety and BP was all ways higher at the gp's surgery.  With the home monitoring systolic has gone between 137 and 123

and diastolic between 51 and 65 usually low sixties.  Gp tells me that it is the bp med lowering both.  How ever I have read that it is bad to have a low diastolic.  Any one have this problem.  Also Just recently my systolic has risen to the 140s  diastolic is the same.  I am wondering if this is a rise or a problem with the machine.  Any advise.  Will make an appointment with gp next week.  I am 66 years of age.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My diastolic is usually in the mid 70s  or 80s which is fine. The dr gets upset when it goes into the high 80's and 90s.  I have had it as low as 47 on occasion and frequently in the 60s.  I haven't heard that it is bad to have a low diastolic - why is that? I do know that on diagnosis of hypertension my diastolic was near to 100 and the dr was very worried at that. So although I can't answer your question I am most interested to know what others say.
    • Posted

I met someone who went round building sites and companies doing health checks. She said with BP it was the diastolic figure that she was most concerned about. If it was over 90 she told the person to see their GP. A previous GP I had also said that the diastolic is the more important figure. 

In the mornings in particular my diastolic is often well over a hundred.

I recently gave a young registrar in cardiology a print out of my last two months readings and pointed out diastolics of up to 124.

" That's all right, that's not too high" she said.

She did not put that in her letter to my GP and misreported other things. I reported that to my GP who then wrote to her. I then got a 'one liner' from her saying that she had received a letter from my GP regarding my symptoms and would review them at my next appointment. If she is still there next time I will ask for someone else.

• Posted

Hi Jane,  Thanks for your message.  I think the reason why doctors don't like too low diastolic is because of the difference between the 2 numbers.  It is called pulse pressure I think.

I think in a normal reading it is around 40.  Mine can be much more at times.  This is a risk factor for heart disease/stroke if there is a gap more than 60.  My gp did not seem concerned and said that the diastolic was being lowered by bp medication as well as systolic.  This morning the first reading was 154/62 and a few minutes later after relaxing and doing some deep breathing it was 133/65.  I do suffer from anxiety and find it hard to relax.  At the surgery both figures are higher the diastolic in the 70s.  

• Posted

SorryI should have added that I take Losartan 50 mg.
    • Posted

134/42

Losartan 50mg

Toprol xl 12.5mg

Tapering off both of these. I'd rather have HBP than see my Diastolic drop that low.

• Posted

Is that a regular feature of your resting home readings? What happens if you take your BP while standing?
  • Posted

Yes pulse pressure is more important than the blood pressure reading, I have just been reading about this just recently.the difference is supposed to be no more than 40 between the two numbers.  So if 120/80 is normal, that is a difference of sixty, well was when I went to school and numbers don.t change so whats going on ??

Anyone shed some light on this? 

• Posted

Good evening Helen. I've never heard of this"BP Guideline" not saying it isn't true by any means. I have heard you should be cautious of having more than a10 mmhg reading of systolic and/ or diastolic in each arm. Hint of possible blockage? Lastly, I see where you've gotten a little confused, but ...the difference in BP using the method you read about comes out correctly. A perfect 120/80 is exactly 40, not the 60 your thinking.don't subtract the two, take the difference between sys. and dia. Your math needs brushing up lol. Take care (bet your chuckling now, and lowering BP too)
  • Posted

Though I cannot answer your question, I would advise you one thing in the light of my experience. Dont go for automatic BP monitors. My physician has advised stongly against using it. It can show misleading results. Go for a good steth and a dial type BP apparatus ( i would recommend Heine ). You can easily learn to use it from internet or even your  GP can train you to use it.
    • Posted

Most UK surgeries and hospitals have been using automatic BP monitors for years. Sometimes I comment that I have a better version than they have.
    • Posted

Could you please provide me brand/model no. so that I can give a try.
    • Posted

Hi,  Derek beat me to it, but I was also going to say that most surgeries and hospitals use automatic bp monitors these days.  They may well have better versions than we at have at hone.  I did show mine to my gp and my doctor said it was fine.  Not sure if I am allowed to advertise the name on this forum but here goes it is a Pro Logic PL100 cost at my local chemist was £25.00.
    • Posted

I have an Omron MIT Elite Plus.

It holds 90 readings in memory and warns of irregular heart rate and other things. If you take two or three readings in a ten minute period it works out the average for you.The software lets you upload your readngs into a spread sheet. Saves all the input I had to do with my earlier one.

They are about £130 but I got mine new and boxed on Ebay last summer for £47. It was sold by a doctor so I guess it was a sample he had been given. 

• Posted

I too have a bp machine that will take individua readings, & 3 consecutive readings. When I do the 'consecutive" I have the machine programmed to take the readings 1min. apart. Then, the machine will give me the average..which is the accurate number. Anything I've researched on this, says you should take a few readings..then average them out. BP changes from minute to minute. Oh how I've learned that leasson! Mayo Clinic also says it's fine to take readings 60 seconds or 1 minute apart. If I were to sit for 10 min taking readings, I'd be so stressed, I'm sure the numbers would be far too high. 

• Posted

I just saw what you'd written after doing some 'surfing' on the net.

While I am not a physician, I do know a lot about blood pressure. What your doctor told you is very likely accurate..it's the meds lowering your bp. 

What is one person's definition of too low a diastolic number, could be fine with another. You said that your systolic number (top) was reading 140's..& the diastolic was about the same. What exactly do you mean by 140's...what is right on 140 or a little above? Were you stressed at the time of the reading? This can cause your bp to rise. If that reading stays in the 140's for a few days without explanation, the best thing is to consult with your doctor. 

Yes, bp can be higher in the doctor's office. It's called "White Coat Syndrome" & a lot of doctors take this into consideration. I"m extremely comfortable with my doctor, yet when I'm in his office, the bp is higher than it usually is, & he does take into consideration that I'm in his office, I've had the drive to his office (which is 1 1/2 hrs) however I keep track of the readings & give them to him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.