Burprenorphine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, i'm new.  I'm coming off subutex slowly (0.4mg every 2 weeks currently on 7.6mg) and i aint handling it very well.  Is there anything i can take to help with the depression it causes?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Andy,

I'm assuming you're prescribed Subutex in relation to an opiate addicition?  

If so my experience is that some depression is common.  I have not taken Subutex myself but had similar symptoms when reducing on Methadone.  My mood would be very black leading to no interest in previously enjoyable activities and a total lack of positivity.   Brain chemistry is highly complex but the lowered moods associated with opiate withdrawal are thought to be due to a lack of dopamine.

I would make an appt. with your doctor and discuss the possible treatments.  Usually British GP's will try to prescribe anti-depressants as they are a cheap, short term solution.  If you and your GP think it will help then it is worth trying. 

My own light at the end of the tunnel was a goal to get my body/mind fit again.  Eating well and taking regular exercise worked wonders for me.  I know,  when your feeling down it sounds like so much bull but a good diet and exercise really does make a difference.  Exercise releases endorphins that your brain is lacking.  More than anything it gets you out of the house and interacting with people and gives you something to feel positive about.   

I started with doing a few situps, then going for a fast walk after work - it takes time and takes some discipline but it does work.   

The main thing to remember throughout is that these black moods are temporary.  In time everything passes.  You will feel better one day.  As far as I can tell there is no magic pill - it is about healing yourself step by step by setting achievable goals.

• Posted

Hi.

Your advice is really good and worth anyone reading that is in that situation.

I suffer from depression and also addiction. I tried to come off by tapering but after about a week I got really really depressed.

I had to go back up to full and more dose. It's really important in my experience not to do anything on your own or if you're not stable. I tried it while in a bad place anyway.

I'm on methadone now and don't intend going down in the short term. In the medium term I'm trying to do what you say. Get some exercise and eating well. I forced myself to take up a course that I must attend every week but is just a hobby.

Long term I want to be free of anything brain chemistry altering. But I think that's long term.

So what am I saying.. I guess make sure you have life in order and settled as possible before getting rid or lowering any dose of whatever you're on. But keep your eye on the prize of finally being off them.

Good luck!

• Posted

For a person who hasnt been in the situation,your advice is spot on.An excellent response that gave good advice
  • Posted

Amazing person!!!!

You are in a minority group to achieve bupe taper.

I also did this and to answer the question u asked.Try to make it a last resort to get any meds.

Your brain is going to need time to repair its chemical functions and also,its very blunt to live without the stimulants you got so used to.

Try to keep a daily routine,be active,eat well andbuild good sleep patterns.

Its dull but you will get there.

Please try to avoid more meds.

Your a legend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.