Husband has high psa

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

joined this forum as worried about my husband aged 65. He had a psa test which came back as 12. 3 weeks ago so was sent to urology yesterday had another psa test and the result today was 15.1. Now he has to go for a scan. I just wondered is this rise normal in a short time or is it an ominous sign. Really worried

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi anna.

I was diganosed  with prostrate cancer in 2009 and given 12 months to live. Im still here. The Psa reading is not significantly high. ive spoken to men with 400 odd.

The Ct scan will help but the only certain way is a biopsey. Prostrate cancer is measured on the gleeson scale of 1-9. 1 being the least aggressive 9 being the most. mine was 8. The stages are 1 -4, 4 being terminal in that its spead to other parts of the body.

Prostrate cancer is very slow and at this stage I dont think you need to be alarmed. remember the law verey clearly states that appointments should be no longer than 2 weeks.

Are you seeing anocolgist(cancer consultant or just a urology consultant. depending on the gleeson reading and staging most cancer is curable. unfortunatly like me I left it too late.

Good luck

• Posted

Hello Ann

I am sorry to learn of your Husband's test results and completely understand your joint concern. You do not mention any other symptoms of what may be a potential problem, but I am guessing that the first PSA was conducted by his GP and the second by the Urologist, upon referral to him?  And in that event it is reassuring that no time is being wasted in trying to find the source of the concern.

Rises in PSA, quantified over time, are qualified as velocity. There are, many reasons why a spike in PSA levels may occur, with anything from bike riding to prostatitis and these are not necessarily sinister, nor cancer itself. Yes, increased velocity is of itself a concern and no doubts your Husband's Urologist has further tests planned. And then you will know what you are dealing with.

I fully appreciate that it is difficult to reign in worry at the moment but when you both know more,  you will be able to deal with any subsequent issues if and when they arise.

Take heart. This is not the beginning of the end, by any means. And tens of thousands of us are living proof of that.

Good luck and best wishes,

Dudley 

• Posted

Hi Dudley,

I think that rises in velocity are misleading.  Prostate cancer produces prostate specific antigen.  The more cancer, the more PSA.  Because cancer grows, the velocity increases by definition.  Rather than velocity, doubling time of PSA increase seems to me to be a better indicator as to whether the cancer is changing and becoming more aggessive.

• Posted

Carl, I just came across your three year old post, which mirrors my situation, although I won't even agree to the biopsy.   I don't know any other way to ask this other than, are you still alive and kicking?  What has happened in the last three years?   I hope to hear from you.  Eric

• Posted

Hi Ann, can't really a say as these results are inconclusive on their own. It is very treatable if caught in time if that's what it is. The truth is you have to find out sooner rather than later. Hope it all comes out okay for you. I have it but it is operable. Fingers crossed for you both
  • Posted

I should have added that a PSA has no significance on its own. you can have a high PSA and not have cancer and no PSA like ihad and have cancer.Many consultants use it as a guide but not on its own.You need to be asking for futher tests. biopsy,ct scan etc. If there other syptoms that caused you to see the doctor will give a better indication.

regards

peter

• Posted

Hi Ann.  I am 69 years old and at the age of fifty had a blood PSA test that came back as a 10.  Three biopsies later (the first two were 8 needle random and the last was color doppler guided and was positive) I was diagnosed.  My PSA at that time was 20 and the Gleason score was 3 + 4 in two core samples.  I have opted not to have treatment, have no symptoms, and the cancer is not palpable on a digital-rectal.  My PSA doubling time is approximately five years and has remained so and my present PSA is 86.  PSA results are remarkably unstable depending on the lab, sexual activity in the prior few days, prostate infection or injury, etc.  Personally, Ann, if I were your husband I would try to find out the PSA doubling time as one indicator of aggressiveness, the Gleason score, and whether the cancer is haploid or diploid.  My Best To You And Your Husband
    • Posted

Hi Carl,

Would you mind sharing with us,  with a PSA of 86,  both what you believe your current prognosis to be and what your Consultant predicts ?

Also, can you advise us of your philosophy back in the 1990's and what it is now ?

• Posted

Hi Dudley,

Nineteen years ago when my PSA was tested and came in at 10 a biopsy was ordered.  Eight random needles (in a haystack) found no cancer.  About three years later the same doctor did another eight random needles and found no cancer.  Looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, I believe, does far more harm than it does good.  At that point the capsule of my prostate had been penetrated 16 times (through the rectum) and "needle tracking" undoubtedly spilled cancer cells out into my system where, hopefully they did not find a home.  In 2005 I finally contacted a urologist who could direct guided biopsy needles via color doppler.  I watched on a screen as he located "hot spots"......blood infused areas where the cancer likely was present.  He hit the spots directly and out of eight needles found cancer in two core samples.  One was about 3 mm of Gleason 3 + 3.  The other core was about 5 mm and was graded as 3 + 4.  I live in the United States where malpractice pressures pathologists to upgrade these things (it is called "grade creep") so I felt that my cancer was probably low risk and possible intermediate risk.  My PSA at that time was 20.  Throughout that time I had been tracking PSA doubling time as a measure of rate of growth (PSA velocity seems to me to be flawed conceptually) and it was steady at right around 5 years.  I then read three urology textbooks, Stephen Strum's book, along with several others and concluded from SEER data that intervention did not generally prolong life in cases such as my own.  I decided at that time to wait, although I did get a second pathologist to read my slides and also asked that they determine whether the cancer cells were haploid or diploid (haploid being an indicator of aggressiveness).  The second pathologist made the same Gleason call and found that the cells were diploid.  I continue to track my doubling time and it has remained constant, an indication that the cancer is not becoming more aggressive.  I suspect that I have had identifiable prostate cancer approximately 24 years now.  I have had two bone scans and neither reveal any evidence of metastasis.

I have researched androgen deprivation and have spoken directly with Dr. Strum.  It is my opinion based on journal reading that I have done that androgen deprivation (continuous or intermittent) tends to provoke androgen dependent cancer to mutate (it wants to live too) into androgen independent prostate cancer.  My reading further suggests that androgen independent prostate cancer tends to be far more aggressive and deadly.

So, for now, I am simply waiting.  I anticipate that my PSA will continue to double approximately every five years.  I have searched to find readings on untreated people who died of prostate cancer to ascertain what their PSA was when symptoms presented as well as what their PSA was at time of death.  I suspect that there is a great deal of variance, although the actual data is largely unavailable.  I am not sure why.

As it is, life goes on.  Interestingly, were it not for PSA testing, I would never have been biopsied and would never know that I have prostate cancer.

As far as professionals in the field are concerned, I have fired two of three urologists, the two never having asked the relevant questions and only justifying their recommendations with the comment that many men are scared and "simply want the cancer out."  I don't believe that anxiety is best treated with a scalpel.

At some point I will likely consult with an oncologist at Oregon Health Sciences University where my son-in-law is a surgical resident.  I have also consulted with my son who gains access to medical journals for me.  He is an emergency physician.  

You asked my philosophy in the 1990's.  I've never given that much thought, although I suspect that it is "live and let live."  Over the years, I have come to view my cancer less as an enemy to be rooted out and killed at all cost and more as a companion that I neither wish to enable, nor to whom I feel hostile.

I would not recommend my strategy for everyone.  Some would be thoroughly unnerved and simply want their cancer out (the view of two of the three urologists - actually one was old, wise, felt that prostate cancer was far and away overtreated and finally retired).  As yet the verdict is out for me as it is for anyone who pursued treatment and has yet to live into their mid-eighties.  

I am hoping for a long life (into my mid-eighties), have a beautiful and loving wife, two adult children who are both physicians, and am about to be graced with a grandchild.  

Thanks for asking about me, Dudley.  I wish you the best with your journey with cancer.  Are you in a similar situation, might I ask? 

• Posted

Hi Carl,

Thankyou very much for taking the time and trouble to construct a post of that quality.  It is very likely to remain as one of the most if not the most helpful contribution ever, to this debate.  Very wisely,  you do not say whether you yourself are a Physician but I have permitted myself a slight suspicion.

Thanks due,  additionally,  for asking about myself.   I'm going along O K., all things considered.  I swim in the Ocean most days.  Bought myself,  to quote  Wikipaedia : ' the fastest production motorcycle on the Planet ' ( 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000,  with just over 8000 klms on the clock.  And having ridden a further 5000 klms since May,  I'm loving it ! ).

I sincerely hope that you will continue to manage all health issues that may arise in the future,  as well as you have in the past.

Regards,

Dudley

( PSA 10,  Gleason 7 [ 3 + 4 ],  T2b.  Mini-TURP & BNI  Feb'14.  42 x EBRT. 

Benign iatrogenic urethral lesion excised Jan '15.  Possibly have had P C for 20 yrs.  Senior Urologist' s Prognosis : " with treatment,  you'll see 10 yrs,  but you won't see 20 ".  Don't you just love it ? ! )  

So anyway,  now  I'm off to the beach.  See ya.

• Posted

Marvellous post Carl. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would have a blind biopsy when MRI is such a painless operation and enables a targeted biopsy. I had an MRI which identified PCa in the left apex. Further research has shown me that the apex is a difficult part of the prostate to biopsy and almost all false negatives arise due to PCa in the apex. I am convinced that I would have had a false negative if I went straight for a blind biopsy. Like you, I am opting for active surveillance. I wish you well.
  • Posted

The scan will provide the additional information you require. Please note that the PSA test is PROSTATE specific, not CANCER specific and a high PSA can be due to a variety of causes only one of which is PCa. I wish your husband a good outcome.
  • Posted

Thank you for all your help

my husband finally got diagnosed with PC after biopsy

he started on hormone implants last year and is now halfway through his radiotherapy

his PC cancer was two on one side of prostate and 3 on other. 6 out of 12 samples

so hope that end of radiotherapy the treatment has worked

• Posted

Hi Ann

Here's' hoping that your Husband's PCa has been caught in time and that you will both have many happy and fulfilling years ahead.

• Posted

Hi All,

Last year 6/2015 my PSA was 1.77. In March this year I had a Colonoscopy and doctor found that i have an enlarged prostate. This month i had PSA check and went up to 6.96. I'm wondering if the rapid rise in my PSA 1.77 to 6.96 in a year is somehow related to enlarged prostate or something else. Should i be concerned here? I'm 49 yrs old and so far have no symptoms of prostate problems like urgency or pain or etc. i'm going to seek urologist soon.

Any advice or information or what i should do next is greatly appreciated.

Thank you & God Bless

david

• Posted

Well David I'm going through that now. in 2014 my PSA was 5.2 and on 8/25/2016 it was 14.3 with a free psa of 7.8 the urologist said I must have a biopsy now. I balked at that and now have an MRI scheduled on

9/30/2016. I'm hoping that if I do have PC that they can see it on an MRI... I will see. Still hoping its just BPH.

Thanks

Jay

• Posted

Good luck with MRI. Looking forward to your update. Btw, was your DRE normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.