Bunion surgery -having both feet done at the same time.

Posted , 40 users are following.

I would welcome hearing from anyone who has both feet operated on at the same time. I am really eager for this to happen to get it all over with in one go. Also I am 64 --very fit and active --(hike and cycle up hills etc) and  am worried about losing my fitness so am thinking that one period of recovery makes more sense that being inactive twice over. But I have little concept of how disabled I will be --eg will I be able to get to the loo, make myself a coffee etc or will my husband have to do everything for me and if so for how long. I am quite a positive and determined person but one or two friends have suggested that I must be crazy to have both feet done at once. Anyhow just thought I'd join this forum and get advice from people who have actually been through the experience. By the way I have just got back from holiday and found a letter offering a provisional date for surgery in 10 days time! 

1 like, 87 replies

87 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Although I only had my both feet done separately, I don't know what I would do if I had to do it again. The downside of doing one at a time is that we have to make two comebacks. I can relate because I am also very active and thrive on staying fit. I've gained probably 10 or more pounds. The up side I have the ability to take it off quickly. Little sidenote not to scare you. I've had two infections, the second infection requires a twice a day IV for 6 weeks in which I wouldn't wish on anyone. Good luck . Great place here for support.
  • Posted

I think you will find yourself unable to do very little for yourself for the first week or two. I had one foot done 5 weeks ago and that was bad enough. On the other hand if yiu are prepared and have the support it would be great to ger it over and done with in one. I am planning on the other foot next year as my surgeon does not like to do both feet at the same time. Sweings and roundabouts. 
  • Posted

Hi Liz, I had both my feet done thank god, dont think I would have gone back to have the other one done, joking, I think you are doing the right thing. Ok Im 51 and for me I was in terrible pain the day after op cry but by day six, approx, the pain started to subside, still in pain but not half as bad. Make sure you take your pain relief regulary, I took 2 x Paracetamols and 2 x Codiene for about 2 weeks, then just when I needed it. I was told to elevate my feet 24/7 for at least 2 weeks so I stayed in bed. My Husband, before going to work, would make me up a flask of tea, breakfast and a pack lunch so I had everything I needed until he got home. My Husband helped me get in and out of the shower, I bought some Limbo waterproof covers, quite expensive, but worth it. He did the house hold chores also. He did all this for around 3 weeks. We have no children at home so the house stays pretty tidy.The other reason I stayed in bed was because it wasnt to far from the toilet, going up and down the stairs would have been impossible for me, early on. The pain I experienced on standing was unbearable, as soon as I was up I couldnt wait to get back. But again this will get easier in time. Im glad now I had both feet done, gets it out the way. I would take the earlier appointment. I wish you all the best and what ever you experience It will get better. If you want any other advice then please message me. Kath xxxx
    • Posted

Kath, I know this sounds very personal.  But how on earth can you use the loo with no feet.  I just don't know how you can get anywhere having two feet done at one time. Your hubby wasn't home all day.  Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Joyce, I used both crutches and heeled walked to the loo and back. It was very painful, on standing cry, but once you get walking its not as bad. Then you get to rest on the loo, for a bit, then you have to stand again cry I am lucky I dont use the loo that often during the day normaly anyway. It was the main reason I stayed up stairs for three weeks, so I was close to the bathroom, could never have walked up the stairs each time. I only really needed supervision on using the shower because you need to heel stand for a longer period. So there you go Joyce it can be done but you need to be careful, take your time and pray its a quick one so you can get back in bed razz Kath xxxx
    • Posted

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I went for my pre -op today and the Consultant has agreed to do both feet. I will have to wait another few weeks for this as he couldn't do the double op as planned next week but I am quite relieved as it gives me more time to prepare. The advise I got from this forum helped me in my decision and resolve so I am really grateful. 

• Posted

Thank you!  You are amazing.  Guess, we just have to brave it.  I'm so afraid I'll injure the foot. But you gve some very good tips. I'm very grateful.  Take care.

• Posted

Aww thanks Joyce. Its no good being negative about it all. It is very painful but like me 13 weeks down the line you realise it was allworth it lol I only really get some discomfort when I walk for periods on the top of my big toes, like a stinging sensation.Good luck to you Joyce Hugs and Kisses xxx
    • Posted

Thank you.  hugs and kisses to you too.  It's not easy.  I don't know how to make those cute happy or sad faces, but I enjoy them so much. Oops, just noticed an icon.razz Yay!  Figured it out on my own....unusual.

• Posted

Walk on your heels. Once youre balanced u can do it. But try it with help in the house first time just in case x
    • Posted

Hi katherine17566

I read about your bunionectomy done in both feet. I think i may need that due to servere deformity. I am thinking of getting both feet done the same time. I am wondering if i have hard time walking do you think walking on my knees for a while is an option so i wont jeopardize the surgery aftermath?

• Posted

Hi Katherine, need some advice. My 23 yr old daughter had double bunionectomy this past Friday...we are on day 2. What do I need to do to help her get to the bathroom? I read your post and need some advice, can you email me?
    • Posted

such great feedback! It’s hard for me to find people that have done both feet at once. I’m looking at the same surgery and your post was perfect timing! I think I will rent a wheelchair and practice with that a bunch and do both at once.

• Posted

You won't need it. And your feet need to be up not down, walk on your heels

• Posted

Good Luck to you!! I too am considering bunion surgery on both feet!! Just want to get it done and over with!! I'm 59 and active has well and sitting still during recovery is what has made me prolong this surgery!! Being off of work for 3 plus months UGH!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.