Red eyes for 3 months

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I have had red watery eyes for 3 months has anybody found a cure from this, the only thing that cleared then up was steriods eye drops but came back after these were stopped.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Finley, did they tell you why they were prescribing steroid eye drops,  how long were you on them  and what dosage were you on and also, who prescribed the drops?

• Posted

And, have you been back to the prescriber?
    • Posted

Hi they were supplied by the hospital for 2 weeks and they said it was for viral or allergic conjunctivitis but still have red eyes . Going back to hospital Monday again as still bad. The drops were called dropadex. Why have you had this problem too
  • Posted

Hi Finley

I have a chronic eye condition, which requires steroid eye drops amongst other things.  I don't know Dropadex but see it contains dexamethasone.  Are they single use drops or does it come in a bottle with preservatives in it?  They found with me, that I was allergic to the preservatives in the eye drops, so I have been using single use preservative free eye drops for years.  The range is called 'Minims'

Did they tell you to use, for example, 6 drops a day for a few days, then reduce to 4, then reduce gradually for the rest of the fortnight that you used them?  Even using for a short period can cause problems with stopping them.

When you go back, they ought to check thoroughly to see what is causing your problem.  

Is it your eye balls that are red or just around the edges?

• Posted

Morning, yes they were single eye drops to put in three times a day and after a fortnight just out one a day in, as soon as they stopped them it came back withing 3 days or so. The whites of my eyes are red and watery but with a jelly feeling in them. Hope they can do something tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your eye condition, it affects the way I look as it looks like my eyes have gone so much smaller. I really don't think it's hayfever as no itching
  • Posted

Have you read the section about 'red eye' on this site?

https://patient.info/doctor/The-Red-Eye

You will see that there are several possible causes.  I'm sure they will sort it out eventually!

They reduced [tapered] the steroid drops in the correct way, so that is a good thing.

I'm glad you are going back to the hospital.  I would be interested to hear the outcome.

Good luck, Finley

• Posted

Hi thanks I will have a read, and will certainly let you know how I get on tomorrow 😀
    • Posted

Hi was seen today at the hospital and was told it is chronic allergic conjunctivis, he has taken samples from the eyes to test and will do allergy tests when they have calmed down. Given two lots of steriod drops of a lower dose and bacterial cream in case of infection. They feel better already . 😜😜😜

• Posted

Went back to hospital and there are keeping me on steriods drops for longer but  also perscribe me sodium cromoglicate 2 w/v drops which sting and make my eyes worse, should I stop using them and just carrying with the steriods drops which are great..?
  • Posted

Hi Finley, the other drops are prescribed for allergic reactions, like hayfever.  How long does the stinging last for?  A lot of eye drops sting or burn when they are first instilled but, if it is still a problem, you could ask for an alternative.  You can buy those drops over the counter, so you could show a Pharmacist the ones that you were prescribed and s/he might suggest an alternative.
  • Posted

Morning, once again thanks for your reply. They were stinging and felt uncomfortable, but this morning they seemed fine, think i panic using new drops as my eyes have been so bad for so long. Been advised to stay on steriods drops and the allergic drops until Ocfober and then wean them off.just hope it doesn't come back again. The hospital thinks it's seasonal!! But will do allerg tests if it comes back, wish they would do the tests now. Cheers 😀
  • Posted

Regarding the steroid drops, how many do you have to use a day?
    • Posted

Been told to put them in 3 times a day and 4 times a day for the allergy drops.
    • Posted

When you come off the steroid eye drops, they may tell you to reduce to twice a day for a period, then once a day, then alternate days until you come off them.

The other drops aren't as critical, so they might just tell you to stop.

• Posted

Thanks for your info, just hope when I eventually come off them it doesn't come back, never had any trouble like this before, felt terrible and looked it to. Apparently you can't take them forever 🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.