PCOS and palpitations

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and have since developed symptoms such as exhaustion and heart paliptations.

I have had blood tests for my thyroid and iron levels as well as EKGs and a 24 hour heart monitor, all test have come back clear. 

Does anyone else with PCOS suffer from paliptations? They seem to come and go every 2 or so weeks - could this be linked to my hormones?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Heart palps as a symptom of thyroid dysfunction, are very common in PCOS woman.

Women with PCOS often have food cravings (usually for sweets or rich, fatty foods), "anxiety" or "racing heart" episodes, often right before their periods. They also describe "blood sugar swings," "mood swings," or "horrendous Palpitations," and pounding sensations "as if my heart were going to literally jump out of my chest".

These symptoms are caused due to the brain effects of diminished estradiol, along with beginning glucose intolerance and insulin resistance of PCOS. Some PCOS women notices that their palpitations worsened before they got their periods,

On the other side, are you on Metformin? There have been reports claiming a connection of heart palpitation as a side effect of Metformin while there are others who said that they have more of it when they stopped taking Metformin.

If all your reports are normal, I don’t think there is anything to worry. If they are still bothering you, you could go on medication after consulting your physician.

Vincent.

• Posted

Hi Vincent

I was prescribed the "normal" version of Metformin last October, the palps started in the December and I've had them on and off since. I was moved onto the extended release met because of the stomach upsets the normal version were causing and the palps continued. I'd read that palps were a side effect of met so came off them for a while but they still continued which is why I was given a 24hr holter monitor. 

They are just really annoying and worrisome even though the holter came back with nothing untoward (it had picked up a few palps but the doctor said this isn't anything to worry about). I just wish there was something that I could do to stop them. I know moderate exercise can really help PCOS but I'm put off exercising due to the palps. It's like a viscous circle. 

• Posted

Hi Vincent,

I know this thread was over a year ago but I am having a lot of difficulty finding other sites that connect PCOS to heart palpitations and the racing heart feeling you described.

I had those symptoms to the extreme! I ended up in the ER and it felt like I was having a heart attack or something! About 8 months later after having bad DR's and having to move to get a good one my hormones were finally checked and I was diagnosed with PCOS and low thyroid.

I still get the heart palpitations but now it's usually around my period and I don't have the intense racing heart anymore with the drop feeling and sweats and extreme anxiety. I am on several medications though including Metformin.

I now find it difficult to exercise too much especially my chest muscles because it can feel like it will set my heart off again. I'm sensitive to heat and the Metformin has caused hypoglycemia as well as suppressing my appetite so it has been very difficult figuring out when to eat. I usually feel sick then I know I need to eat.

Anyways, my question is, is there any more information out there for people like me? Even though it has gotten better is there any chance I will ever get back to normal?

Any information you can give would be amazing! Most doctors think I'm crazy except for the one that diagnosed me and my living situation is one that I move every year or so so long term out of state doctors don't happen.

Thank you so much!

Michelle

• Posted

I'm am 51years old. At the age of 32 I started having very bad palpitations. Doctors brushed it off to anxiety. Well palpitations cause me severe anxiety! At age 32 I was told I have heart disease too. I've always had long and very heavy periods. I now have high blood pressure. I can't get a doctor to even consider PCOS. I'm losing the hair on my head and I can grow a beard, I know that's not normal. I feel I'm doomed. Only way I can lose weight is a liquid diet, but once food goes in my mouth the weight piles on. I've told my cardiologist it's mostly the week before and during my periods that I get these palpatations,and they are debilitating. I was told.." You're crazy. Stop thinking about it, it's normal."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.