Muscle Weakness on metformin???

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have been on metformin for about 3 months and at 3 weeks developed severe weakness.  Subsequently I have had to stop working out (aerobic cycling and weight lifting) due to severe pain in my back as a result of the induced weakness.  I am taking Coenzyme Q10 and B12.  Has anyone else had a simlar problem?  What have you and your physician done to counteract the problem?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am also looking for advice. I have been on Metformin for over a year now and have been going to see my GP every month to let him know that I am suffering from fatigue, wobbly legs, extreme tiredness and other similar symptoms. I have also lost about 10 kgs since I have started Metformin. Innitially I was given to understand that I would need to get used to the medication as I also was suffering from bouts of diarrhoes.. I also told him that I may be defficient in Vitamin B12. He does not give me any straight answers. On a previous visit I requested him to do the V-B12 test but he never gave me the results. Am wondering if prescribing these Vitamins is expensive. I am reading all over the internet the connection between Metformin and B12 deficiency and related problems. I am only 57 years old and my Mother-in-Law who is 87 has more energy than me. Frustrated with the way the doctors are treating me...... I am wondering if I can take B12 without him knowing of it.
    • Posted

Metformin causes some malabsorption which can lead to lowered B12 and Folate levels.  If this becomes significant, both can cause anaemia.  Doctors and laboratories are reluctant to test B12 and Folate levels unless there are signs of anaemia in the blood; this means they are not interested in preventing anaemia before it happens, which to me seems illogical.  Many doctors are not aware of this side effect.  I believe there is a case for routinely monitoring B12 and Folate, say annually, together with any other vitamins or essentials that may be not absorbed due to Metformin.

B12 should not be taken without Folate as it can be dangerous if the Folate levels are low.  I think you should insist that the levels are checked even if there are no signs of anaemia in the blood.  I suspect the blood test is expensive which may be behind the doctors' reasons for not getting these tests done.  Good luck!

• Posted

Has this been sorted?  I got muscle weakness and fatigue when taking statins but don't have the problem with Metformin alone.
  • Posted

I too take Metformin. I've been taking it for about 6yrs. My previous doctor prescribed it to me in order to help me lose weight. It has had just the opposite effect.

I have hypoglycemia. For the last few years my legs have been so weak, wobbly, I get confused and my balance is off.

I try to go to the gym as much as possible. But most days I'm so weak. My whole body feels so weird sometimes. It's like I'm paralyzed! I thought maybe I'm getting dehydrated. But I drink water like it's going out of style. My legs seemed to be affected the worst. My doctor says it's just because I'm overweight and if I'd exercise more then I wouldn't have these problems. But I get so weak when I try to get out and walk.

I never questioned the Metformin as being the cause to any of my listed problems. Until I decided to switch doctors. And she questioned why I was taking Metformin since I already have low blood sugar? She is sending me to an endocrinologist. I will discuss my concerns with he or she whenever they set up my appointment.

So I decided to look up whether or not Metformin causes muscle weakness. And that's when I discovered this forum.

Thanks

• Posted

I've just joined this forum because I am also having all sorts of issues. On the subject of the B12.....I am now deficient and am permanently on injections for it. They hurt like hell but when I am overdue my injection, I can feel it. I start feeling rather unwell. I have had severe muscle weakness issues and am currently receiving physic from 3 different practitioners for 3 different areas....Gotta love the nhs logic! I'm struggling recently cos they increased my dosage from 1000mg twice a day to 850mg thrice a day (550 mg extra per day) and now I'm really struggling with the nausea! Why, when I am taking less each time am I now experiencing nausea? I was taking the 2000mg daily dose for nearly a year with no issues. It's done nothing for my weight either.
  • Posted

Metformin makes me dizzy sometimes and presents a headache. I love to workout as well and my muscles get extra fatigued and take longer to heal.

I quit taking Met for a while and these symptoms went away but my bloodsugar level and weight went up. I'm back on Met becuase my doc says it's better for me in the long run.

Metformin definitely can make one feel not well but they say to stick with it becuase it'll pay off in the long run.

• Posted

What about taking your Metformin with a meal after you've exercised?  You can get lactic acid build-up in your muscles if you haven't got enough glucose in your blood and the Metformin works by enabling the glucose to be used by the muscles.  I had a scary time up a mountain when my legs seized up after taking Metformin with breakfast that morning.  Digestive biscuits and coffee got me down in the end!
    • Posted

I like to go for a long walk after I eat but the Met makes it much more strenous than it should be. I was unaware that lactic acid build-up along with Metformin causes this. I'll mention it to my doc next time I see her. I tell her that I get fatigued and she has never mentioned any possible reason or solution for it. If I go a few days without taking the Met I feel terrific.
  • Posted

I am researching the affects of Metformin and noticed a lot of diabetics using Metformin also has Myasthenia Gravis. Is Metformin causing Myasthenia Gravis? I wonder how many people were on Metformin and then developed Myasthenia Gravis? My husband was on Metformin for a number of years before developing this disease.
    • Posted

I hope this isn't true. Whenever I stop taking Metformin the bad side effects go away.
    • Posted

Hi debbie

diabetes have been linked to a deficiency in antioxidants. CoQ10 is a strong one and it is responsible for 95% of the body's ATP/energy production. Therefore, if we impair the body's ability to produce sufficent levels, our muscles which all operate on energy, become deficient of CoQ10. CoQ10 has been clinically proven to eliminate myopathies from statins and have a cardio-protective effect. But considering the heart is the hardest-working muscle we h ave, it is easy to see why CoQ10 can help strengthen and protect our hearrts

http://healthandscience.eu/ index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=737:why-does-overweight-lead-to-diabetes-us&catid=20&lang=us&Itemid=374

• Posted

it isnt easy to know- a GP reduced my Metformin to 1000 and v odd symptoms of irritability and brain fog went away within a few days,at a time when bs was lowering and stabilising// i lost control of diet during a terrible stress period and made a few mistakes and bs went up ,dose doubled,hopefully lowering bs again, and back to brainfog tiredness and irritability....cant get to a GP long waiting period.Dont trust 111 to be of any help
  • Posted

Dear Dr.Eve,

I am very surprised that metformin has given you muscle weakness.

I you are taking metformin because you are diabetic, it is your diabetes which causes muscle weakness. Muscle weakness in diabetics is so bad that you can end up with just half your original body strength. I have discussed this problem with my GP and two engineers who are diabetic and used to work with me. Fortunately we are all able to laugh about it but it was not funny when it first started happening to me. My strength went and I started falling down unconcious while at work. The third time it happened I was asked to leave by the MD which I did. I was just 50 years old and have been retired ever since. Metformin will greatly assist in lowering your blood sugar by reducing your insulin intolerence.

I don't know how old you are or how long you have been diabetic but for me at 62 years old and being diabetic for 17 years, metformin is a great help. Bad things happen to you if you don't control your blood sugar. I have some sort of nerve damage through diabetic neuropathy and it gives me absolute hell. I take metformin and insulin. Thank god we have the NHS.

Best regards

bobcrachet

• Posted

My husband had muscle loss but he was diagnosed with myasthenia. This is a very rare disease that prevents the nerve endings communicating with the muscles. There are too many antibodies in the blood. He too was falling down along with hand, arm, and neck muscles weakened. Very little information can be found about this disease. Many people are missed diagnosed because many doctors lack the knowledge about the disease. No known cure or what causes the disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.