i have just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis....

Posted , 5 users are following.

and am really worried about the sulfazine they want to put me on. Am confused as the doctors obviously praise the drug, yet i have read many others experiences of users that arent happy and all the side effects. Are there any positive stories from users? I have been looking into natural treatments and have heard a combination of echinacea and devils claw can help an overactive immune system? Can anyone help????????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there! I am a 64 year old male and have been on 3 grammes a day for 3 years. Apart from yellow pee, I am quite happy with this drug. The biggest problem I had (have!) was recognising it was time to stop running, golf etc. If you can get used to a new lifestyle you should be OK. On the other hand, my dogs love the new regime of short walks.
  • Posted

hi brian,

how is your hair while being on sulfasalazine ? do you have any hair loss?

• Posted

If you are considering herbal supplements such as those you have suggested, it would be best in your case to consult a qualified medical herbalist first. You can find one near you by contacting either the National Institute of Medical Herbalists or the College of Practitioners of Phytotherapy. Both those herbs can help, but RA is complex and there may be many factors involved. A medical herbalist will conduct a detailed consultation before prescribing, and if you agree will also contact your GP.

Best of luck

• Posted

Hi, i was diagnosed with RA september 2010. It was very aggressive and i was in so much pain. Off work for 2 months. I was prescribed sulphasalazine 3mg per day. i am still on the same. No adverse effects and have been back to work for over a year with no days off. i still had pain but then i bgan a wheat/glutton free diet. took boron, vit d3 calcium and magnesium. For the past 6 months i have had no pain, no side effects and i am feeling great. was meant to see rhuematologist in March but then appt postponed until JUly!!

I did make sure my rhuematologist knew exactly what i was doing.

Emis Moderator comment: we have removed a personal email address as it is site policy not to publish these.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.