Joint pain after cortisone injection

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a cortisone injection 5 days ago in my right wrist, that night I started getting quite bad pain in my elbow as if it had been knocked both sides of knuckle really hard, then the following day the same pain was also in my wrist. Today they both still really hurt and now my shoulder blade has same sensation and my middle finger is really achy. Anyone know if this is a normal effect or experienced the same?

Also when have people found the injection had worked? I'm starting to feel disappointed that I feel worse for it.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I go next week for cortsone shots,now i am second guessing it. Had cortsone shots in my shoulder ,and it worked the same day. I had the shot with therapy, maybe that is why it worked so good.
  • Posted

I had steroid shots in both wrists today as my fingers on both hands have been numb for over a year. Dr. had me do a 2nd nerve test, the results said left hand was the same, right hand got worse, so now the Dr. is trying the steroid shots, he said if they diden't get better in 2 or 3 weeks he wants to hear from me and may do another operation where he cuts and lifts inner stuff and then put some fat from the palm over the medinan nerve to protect it.  He also said I was the first patient the CTS op did not work.  Said may I should go to nerolagist to rule out other problems like MS.  I don't know what  is going on I am healthy otherwise
  • Posted

I had carpal tunnel surgery 1 year ago, still have numbness on both hands, went to therapy, just had 2nd nerve test done and they said neither hand had improved and my right hand was worst.     my doctor called last night and said he review the nerve test and would have to do steroid injections in both hands.

I dident,t have any pain like yourself today the hands feel alittle better,dr. SAID it can take up to two weeks and the shot will only last a year so if next year it gets worst again he said he would do a type of surgery to remove tissue resting on the median nerve and take some fat from the middle of the palm to lay over the nerve and that he said should fix the problem .  Hope this helps I now how awful you feel I am praying for you.    Cortisone and Steroid I guess are the same.

• Posted

I had the surgery 6 months ago. the numbness and nerve pain is worse than it was before surgery. I have decided to try acupuncture. Will let you know if it works.
    • Posted

Barbara, sent a reply ment for you to Nicomarie.   Said sometimes it takes a year to heal.   Sorry for all your pain.  Let me know how you make out with acupuncture.  
  • Posted

Sorry Nicomarie sometimes they say it takes up to a year.  Yes I would love to know if acupuncher works for you.
  • Posted

I know this post is over a year old but I stumbled upon it after looking up almost the same symptoms. After years of numbness, weakness, and pain in my right wrist, hand ,and fingers. I seen an orthopedic 2 days ago. He was in room for a few mins, did like two physical tests to my hand and said I had mild Carpal Tunnel and gave me a cortisone injection. First night no numbness but last night I awoke to pain in my elbow and forearm. Those were pains I didn't have before. I also get numbness in my right toes. So I am wondering if its a pinched nerve somewhere on right side and not carpal tunnel. I dont do anything repetitive. Happened during my last pregnancy 5 years ago and never went away. I have read these injections are a waste and not helpful.

• Posted

I received injections in both thumbs one feels great and the other feels like it's pinched..so painful. What should I do NOW

• Posted

The left hand I feel like I can play the trumpet! The other one I can't even Brush my hair!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.